News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Meiun's Vacation Fund!

Started by SantaClaws, August 04, 2014, 06:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Loganvz123 on August 23, 2014, 06:17:42 AM
Quote from: Matty_Richo on August 23, 2014, 03:33:25 AM
A lot of the kickstarters for games are just funding the resources needed to develop the game and the developers do all the work in their spare time for free. But for every campaign you only receive any money if it reaches it's target. So if our target was 10,000 dollars and we only managed 5,000 then it would get sent back to the people that pledged it.
That is why the best thing to do is work out the minimum you need and set stretch goals.

Kickstarter takes 5% of the donations if a campaign is funded successfully, or none if it isn't, in which case it keeps the money.

Actually if it isn't funded successfully then Kickstarter keeps nothing. It keeps it all nice and risk free so if it turns out we can't raise the funds then everything just goes back to normal.
Quote from: Kickstarter WebsiteIf the project you're backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged.

Quote from: Loganvz123 on August 23, 2014, 06:17:42 AM
Quote from: Matty_Richo on August 23, 2014, 03:33:25 AM
(if we reach 10,000 I'll add a coconut hat to the game and if we reach 20,000 I'll add a statue of Doge to the game world (Reddit would be all over that), etc).

Please no.
Much funded
very donation
wow
                                                             such development
so Jesusland                                                     

Loganvz123

KrazyMotha

I don't know if u are still planning to stick with the original crew of GM's and Artists and Developers, but as far as developers and artists, there are a LOT of active players who have the skills and programs necessary to be a lot of help. Every active player would do whatever they could to help. Also these "artists" would help out for nothing most likely. They would probably just love to be actively involved and help see the game through to completion... I think every player would be foaming at the mouth to have the chance to work on and help out with the game.

Meiun

Quote from: KrazyMotha on August 23, 2014, 10:03:20 PM
I don't know if u are still planning to stick with the original crew of GM's and Artists and Developers, but as far as developers and artists, there are a LOT of active players who have the skills and programs necessary to be a lot of help. Every active player would do whatever they could to help. Also these "artists" would help out for nothing most likely. They would probably just love to be actively involved and help see the game through to completion... I think every player would be foaming at the mouth to have the chance to work on and help out with the game.
I will likely need at least one more artist in order to cover certain aspects of the games artwork (mainly monsters), but I do not want any additional developers. Stick Online has always been a very personal/independent coding project for me, and I would like to keep it that way. A big piece of the fun for me is that it is all of my own design. I don't think I would enjoy working on it if half the battle became having to constantly coordinate technical details with other developers (not that this can't be good too. But it's just not what i'm looking for with SO).

KrazyMotha

I did know that you want SO to be more of an individual project of yours and with the results of V2, I have nothing to complain about :P But as for semi-free and super willing artist you should look within the SO community! Run like a little competition or something :P mostly for funsies but also to see if there are some people with real skills you could use.

Meiun

Quote from: KrazyMotha on August 24, 2014, 01:35:07 PM
I did know that you want SO to be more of an individual project of yours and with the results of V2, I have nothing to complain about :P But as for semi-free and super willing artist you should look within the SO community! Run like a little competition or something :P mostly for funsies but also to see if there are some people with real skills you could use.
The community is definitely the first place I plan to look. The only reason I havnt already done so is because it didn't seem to make much sense recruiting someone during a time period that development was pretty much at a stand still. Especially since I have been able to work around around most of the lacking art components so far.

ToxicDuck

Quote from: Meiun on August 24, 2014, 03:35:06 PM
The community is definitely the first place I plan to look. The only reason I havnt already done so is because it didn't seem to make much sense recruiting someone during a time period that development was pretty much at a stand still. Especially since I have been able to work around around most of the lacking art components so far.

I think holding a small competition for some artists would be a good idea. Even though development is moving along slowly, if you get a dedicated artist it'll save some time when development picks up speed. You could get an artist to make some graphics, then just keep them and when you're ready just import them into the game. That way you can have a reservoir of graphics at your disposal.

SantaClaws

Quote from: ToxicDuck on August 25, 2014, 06:57:49 AM

I think holding a small competition for some artists would be a good idea. Even though development is moving along slowly, if you get a dedicated artist it'll save some time when development picks up speed. You could get an artist to make some graphics, then just keep them and when you're ready just import them into the game. That way you can have a reservoir of graphics at your disposal.

I too believe that this would be a good idea. I'm positive a lot of community members out there would like a chance to help and show off their skills and possibly be able to see their own work withing the game. I'm also sure this community is choked full of potential and could put up some good sprites. Its worthwhile to give some thought and could potentially be the perfect way to help and get things rolling with this kick starter.

Jmac

Quote from: SantaClaws on August 25, 2014, 06:38:44 PM

I too believe that this would be a good idea. I'm positive a lot of community members out there would like a chance to help and show off their skills and possibly be able to see their own work withing the game. I'm also sure this community is choked full of potential and could put up some good sprites. Its worthwhile to give some thought and could potentially be the perfect way to help and get things rolling with this kick starter.
I agree with this idea, however, why not hold "mini"-competitions for each individual monster or whatever is needed. This way, multiple artists could have a chance to have their work displayed.

The only issues I could see arising would be if one person consistently had the best sprites and others stopped trying, or multiple winners art styles clash with one another and make the game look "unprofessional".

Meiun

I have actually been thinking of holding some sort of competition or something along those lines for quite some time. I just wanted to wait until the timing felt right (for much of the same reasons I expressed in my previous post).

Quote from: Jmac on August 26, 2014, 09:33:12 AM
I agree with this idea, however, why not hold "mini"-competitions for each individual monster or whatever is needed. This way, multiple artists could have a chance to have their work displayed.

The only issues I could see arising would be if one person consistently had the best sprites and others stopped trying, or multiple winners art styles clash with one another and make the game look "unprofessional".
I would very much prefer to have one person to handle as much of this as possible. Things can get far more complicated the more people you introduce.

Yankyal

If this went through and Meiun got time off to work, completed some of the game, then went back to work and couldn't finish the game for years I feel like people would be upset/dissapointed and it could cause stupid drama.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

SantaClaws

Quote from: Yankyal on September 01, 2014, 10:40:47 PM
If this went through and Meiun got time off to work, completed some of the game, then went back to work and couldn't finish the game for years I feel like people would be upset/dissapointed and it could cause stupid drama.
Thing is though, people are already impatient as it is, and have already entered that stage because Meiun has nothing to show us progress wise. Meiun would only accept something like this if there were no "What if's" he would know for sure what he would need to get done, and he would make sure he had enough time allotted in order to show progress. Right now I'm sure the community would be ecstatic if Meiun put out even an offline demo that just showed basic mechanics of everything or something along the lines of that.

Also if this worked, and a decent amount of progress was made who's saying we have to stop there? If this all pans out and goes smoothly we could have many more kickstarters/fundraisers in the future to help Meiun develop the game.