News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Kickstarter for SOv3

Started by Matty_Richo, September 01, 2013, 08:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan

I would just ignore Notorious, trolling or not his message doesn't really deserve any sort of response.
Livin' in a lonely world.

T-Rok

Quote from: Loganvz123 on September 11, 2013, 04:33:39 AM
Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on September 09, 2013, 10:58:22 PM
stop taking their money, it just isn't right.
You know, because that 10-30 USD a month from donations is totally going to be such a profit on a 24/7 multiplayer server.
I can just imagine Meiun right now.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/shania_cares/Gifs%20and%20User%20Pics/ScroogeMcDuckSwimsinMoney.gif

Oh man, how did you get that footage of Meiun? No one has ever been able to catch him on camera.

Loganvz123

It was pretty hard, he was behind 7 proxies.

Meiun

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on September 09, 2013, 10:58:22 PM
Meiun stop trolling these innocent people and taking their money, it just isn't right. SOv3 and its alleged development is a complete and total sham. I'm sickened by the blind loyalty of the members of this forum; definitely good people, but naive nonetheless. Think about the time, energy, and money wasted anticipating this dud and all you could have done with it. Has it really been worth it ?
Sorry that what I enjoy doing as a hobby in my free time doesn't meet your standards? None of the past or present donations have been directly for V3, they had been for V2, with the current ones primarily used to keep it running. Nowhere did I imply that I need your donations to develop V3, or otherwise try to coax people into donating for the future. Whatever carries forward would ofcourse gladly be used for V3, but I have made zero promises of when that is coming. I've said all along it will likely be a slow process and never once done anything to deliberately mislead people about it. I've straight up told people that if they are disheartened by the slowness of things then they probably shouldn't stick around. I've also never tried to mislead people about what donations are for. If you feel things are a sham, leave.

Has it been worth it to remain determined to see something through to the end, regardless of how busy I am and how long it takes me? To keep working on something that I enjoy doing? Yes. I'm not making this game just for you. While I do hope other people can enjoy it to, I'm doing it most of all because I want to. So please stop acting like an entitled little brat. I really don't profit from doing Stick Online, it is nothing more than a hobby.

Loganvz123

Back on Topic: I'd be more than happy to tell old players about this. I still have the contact details for maybe ~20 afk players. If you were to put this up I could probably get a decent amount in a pool.

Meiun

Quote from: Loganvz123 on September 18, 2013, 09:55:39 PM
Back on Topic: I'd be more than happy to tell old players about this. I still have the contact details for maybe ~20 afk players. If you were to put this up I could probably get a decent amount in a pool.
I appreciate the thought, but I don't think it is necessary right now. The main thing I need more of is time, and unless a Kickstarter were realistically able to provide me with that, I don't think it would be worth it at this point in time.

T-Rok

So in theory, we start one. We raise say.. 10k. That a viable amount for a month off work?

Loganvz123

Quote from: T-Rok on September 18, 2013, 11:38:35 PM
So in theory, we start one. We raise say.. 10k. That a viable amount for a month off work?
120k a year salary at 24? wat

T-Rok

Quote from: Loganvz123 on September 19, 2013, 01:21:03 AM
... yeah I didn't really do the math on that.. Just. Ignore anything I say. Would be easier.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: T-Rok on September 19, 2013, 02:43:35 AM
Quote from: Loganvz123 on September 19, 2013, 01:21:03 AM
... yeah I didn't really do the math on that.. Just. Ignore anything I say. Would be easier.

I'll spend a month with you for 10 grand babe <3
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Meiun

That would be more than enough in theory. But the problem is more that I wouldn't just be able to just take a month or two off from my job and actually expect to still have the job to return to afterwards. I'm sure I would be able to find another one, but I don't know that I would want to uproot my whole life and current job just for a month or two in development time.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on September 19, 2013, 09:26:47 AM
That would be more than enough in theory. But the problem is more that I wouldn't just be able to just take a month or two off from my job and actually expect to still have the job to return to afterwards. I'm sure I would be able to find another one, but I don't know that I would want to uproot my whole life and current job just for a month or two in development time.

They don't sound like very friendly people.. Or maybe your economy is different. Probably both? I know up here in Canada is you asked for stuff like this, you've got it no questions asked and a job guaranteed when you come back.

It's weird hearing how other peoples societal norms are.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on September 19, 2013, 12:07:48 PM

They don't sound like very friendly people.. Or maybe your economy is different. Probably both? I know up here in Canada is you asked for stuff like this, you've got it no questions asked and a job guaranteed when you come back.

Seriously? That is definitely NOT how most companies I know of would do things here in the US. Not to say there wouldn't be any that would allow such a thing, but it definitely wouldn't be the norm. At the very least, I doubt they  would be nearly as casual about it. Maybe the solution to all my problems would just be moving to Canada :P

havok

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 01, 2013, 09:47:02 AM
We can't do this because then TRok would go bankrupt.

lmao so true

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Meiun on September 19, 2013, 03:12:13 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on September 19, 2013, 12:07:48 PM

Seriously? That is definitely NOT how most companies I know of would do things here in the US. Not to say there wouldn't be any that would allow such a thing, but it definitely wouldn't be the norm. At the very least, I doubt they  would be nearly as casual about it. Maybe the solution to all my problems would just be moving to Canada :P
I find that interesting as in Australia I had no problem taking 2 months of unpaid leave. The only time I would see it being an issue here is if it was a very small business and would fall apart if a single employee left without replacement. Thinking about it realistically I think that we probably could raise somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand. I don't know what your salary is but I would imagine that that would cover 1-2 months off work or even 1-2 days a week less at work.

One point that would have to be considered with this is that the money we raised would probably not so much be considered donations but rather us paying Meuin to work on Stick Online. This may be something Meiun would be uncomfortable with as it would probably then be reasonable for those of us that have contributed to that fund to expect semi regular reports or updates as to what is going on. It would also probably fair to expect Meiun to work on Stick Online for the entirety of the time we paid for, which (assuming we paid for two months, full time) would mean that he would essentially need to be working on Stick Online 8 hours a day, which he may not feel capable of or comfortable with.

I think that this may actually be something to seriously consider, I suppose it comes down to what Meiun is comfortable with and able to do (he may not be able to get any significant length of time off work), and what the community is willing to support and whether we are happy to commit to covering the cost (which could possibly be achieved through Kickstarter) and if we are happy to agree to the terms that Meiun set, should he wish to do this. It would also be worth considering how much Meiun thinks he could get done in whatever amount of time we were able to provide, if that is enough time to get to an okay stage to release the game or if that would only allow time to cover a quarter of the work to be done before it is ready to be released.

That is just what was going around my head as I was rereading a few different parts of the forum tonight. Obviously not an expectation, just my thoughts written down and messily thrown together into some paragraphs.

tl;dr: Worth seriously considering the community covering the cost of paying Meiun to take a set amount of time off work to work on Stick Online.