News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Lets all Play Mafia Again

Started by KaptainKohl, February 24, 2013, 12:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaptainKohl

Its been awhile since our last game, and i know that we are getting posts about how everything is boring on the server and forums and no one is posting anything, so i though we could start up the mafia games again because we all had a blast with them and had many people participated. I know we all stopped because we started to get bored of them since we did four strait, but now its been months since then. This will allow us all to be active on the forums again too.

If anyone wants to start up a new game (I did the last one) that would be awesome.

Titan

I'd be down for playing one, but I'm not to confident about my ability to set up and run one. Maybe if a few games get going I would host, but I'm definitely interested in playing.
Livin' in a lonely world.

RayRay

I'll play if we start hosting games, but in my opinion, I would save it for v3, or at least June, where Summer Break settles in. That way more activity could show up and things could get interesting and stable.

11clock

I will join if people won't miss the point of Day 1 yet again.

crozier

The point of D1 is to scum-hunt then nl. For a ml is a greater chance than hitting correctly. Play epicmafia, you'll see.

11clock

Quote from: crozier on February 25, 2013, 06:14:25 PM
The point of D1 is to scum-hunt then nl. For a ml is a greater chance than hitting correctly. Play epicmafia, you'll see.

A chance of mislynch is ALWAYS greater than a chance of hitting correctly, no matter how long you wait. <.<

Also, I've never seen anyone scum-hunt on the first day, in Stick Mafia at least. You guys just all go, "LOLZ NO LYNCH!" If you guys continue with this idiotic strategy, then I'm not joining. Also, it ruins the fun of the game when everyone sits there like ducks and watch the Mafia pick them off one by one, then react at the last minute.

EDIT: This topic over at the GMC does first days properly. http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=542004

crozier

Properly? They didn't let the cop get 1 report. I'm all up for a d2 vote, but frankly I don't want to risk it. BUT I am up for a d1 lynch if the game starts at night. (and I'll just ignor the 2 week timeline which is the craziest thing I have ever seen).
And also, it gives people a chance to play and type with everyone (which is one of the more fun parts of the game). Mafia wins sometimes, town wins sometimes, and d1 usually doesn't make either side over or under powered. But some setups don't allow of a ml at all, and so reports are almost always necessary.

11clock

Quote from: crozier on February 25, 2013, 07:26:31 PM
Properly? They didn't let the cop get 1 report. I'm all up for a d2 vote, but frankly I don't want to risk it. BUT I am up for a d1 lynch if the game starts at night. (and I'll just ignor the 2 week timeline which is the craziest thing I have ever seen).
And also, it gives people a chance to play and type with everyone (which is one of the more fun parts of the game). Mafia wins sometimes, town wins sometimes, and d1 usually doesn't make either side over or under powered. But some setups don't allow of a ml at all, and so reports are almost always necessary.

Yes, we killed the cop early on, but the game was overall quite interesting other than the overly long deadline. I simply don't have fun sitting like a duck until someone roleclaims. It's just not interesting. The Stick Mafia Revival series I didn't like at all because it felt like that the town was doing nothing to help its own side, and we only won in the first two games out of sheer luck. In other words, no lynching breaks the game.

The best way to fix this is to get rid of the ability to not lynch. That way, something is always happening and the game keeps its fun factor. It will also force other, riskier strategies. Mafia is NOT about playing it safe. If you don't take risks, you're not playing the game. None of you guys seem to get this.

KaptainKohl

Quote from: 11clock on February 25, 2013, 09:29:00 PM

The best way to fix this is to get rid of the ability to not lynch. That way, something is always happening and the game keeps its fun factor. It will also force other, riskier strategies. Mafia is NOT about playing it safe. If you don't take risks, you're not playing the game. None of you guys seem to get this.
i agree with 11clock in that the whole point of of the game is to take risks and try to win. Most games where when people try to lynch a random person on day one you get better reactions and talking between everyone allowing for understanding of who might be what.

crozier

Another thing I disagree with. Mafia members are always playing it safe. In my time playing epicmafia (I dunno somewhere around 1000 games with ~250 being ranked) mafia tries to seem town at all costs. Mafia tries to blend in with townies, and doing drastic measures usually gets you caught. Note that taking a risk is different than a logical guess. Risks have no backing, and are often just random. Logical guessing and fos'ing is a more direct safer way to handle things. I hate (hate hate hate) when I am playing mafia and the person with the hammer (final deciding vote that can end a game) flips a coin. They should be deducing and making coherent observations and remarks- not taking a chance. In an ideal town-sided game town wins not because of chance but because of smarts.
No lynching on day 3 or 4 is gamethrowing, but no lynching d1 gives cops (and other investigating roles) something to create solid evidence to convict people. Or it may create conflicting roles.

11clock

Quote from: crozier on February 25, 2013, 10:28:04 PM
Another thing I disagree with. Mafia members are always playing it safe. In my time playing epicmafia (I dunno somewhere around 1000 games with ~250 being ranked) mafia tries to seem town at all costs. Mafia tries to blend in with townies, and doing drastic measures usually gets you caught. Note that taking a risk is different than a logical guess. Risks have no backing, and are often just random. Logical guessing and fos'ing is a more direct safer way to handle things. I hate (hate hate hate) when I am playing mafia and the person with the hammer (final deciding vote that can end a game) flips a coin. They should be deducing and making coherent observations and remarks- not taking a chance. In an ideal town-sided game town wins not because of chance but because of smarts.
No lynching on day 3 or 4 is gamethrowing, but no lynching d1 gives cops (and other investigating roles) something to create solid evidence to convict people. Or it may create conflicting roles.

I was talking in terms of the town side. The Mafia is supposed to play it safe because that's what they're supposed to do. The town, on the other hand, is supposed to be the side that takes risks since no one in the town can trust each other.

There are two options to ensure that Day 1 is not wasted: Night 1 before Day 1 or making no lynching illegal. If we allow Night 1 to happen first, that'll just let the Mafia have easy pickings at the start of the game (which is also why I'm against wasting the first day). Therefore, that's not a good option. This leaves just the other option, which is to make no lynching illegal.

Also, I still have the point that no lynching makes the game extremely dull and uninteresting. I do not like doing nothing until the last minute. It reminds me of MMOs where most of the game is horrible until the end-game.

RayRay

You know, ever since we had the discussion of NL ever since the start, something didn't feel right when I saw a balance of luck. I used to think that we had less of a chance of getting the Mafia, but we also had less of a chance of completely screwing us over. Our really good Townie roles would have been targeted by the Mafia when they found out anyway. I had no clue that it was doing nothing and rather we did wind up wasting time. Besides, the first one down from Day 1 wouldn't be able to play at all.