News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Idea to revive s.o.

Started by ToxicDuck, May 22, 2014, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 31, 2014, 12:42:09 PM
Even with my efforts, over the last week and a half or so, I've only been able to obtain four new people. I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that would allow people to post games like s.o.

Meiun, I know you're against the GMC due to most trouble makers coming from there. I know if it was posted there, there would be a decent amount of players again, I also know that right now Dan is the only active GM, and it may be too much to moderate. I was hoping that there was a slight possibility I could get you to change your mind. If it was posted at the GMC, and it did bring in too many people to moderate, perhaps you would be able to employ another GM, I'm sure at least one of the respected members that has been playing for years here would be up for the job. I know what I'm saying has an incredibly minuscule chance of you approving of it, but I figured I'd at least try to give it a try.
I really don't want it on the GMC. If people have other places that may be fine, but I decided along time ago that I wanted to disassociate the game with the GMC, and I'd really like to stick to that decision.

11clock

Quote from: Meiun on May 31, 2014, 07:18:44 PM
Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 31, 2014, 12:42:09 PM
Even with my efforts, over the last week and a half or so, I've only been able to obtain four new people. I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that would allow people to post games like s.o.

Meiun, I know you're against the GMC due to most trouble makers coming from there. I know if it was posted there, there would be a decent amount of players again, I also know that right now Dan is the only active GM, and it may be too much to moderate. I was hoping that there was a slight possibility I could get you to change your mind. If it was posted at the GMC, and it did bring in too many people to moderate, perhaps you would be able to employ another GM, I'm sure at least one of the respected members that has been playing for years here would be up for the job. I know what I'm saying has an incredibly minuscule chance of you approving of it, but I figured I'd at least try to give it a try.
I really don't want it on the GMC. If people have other places that may be fine, but I decided along time ago that I wanted to disassociate the game with the GMC, and I'd really like to stick to that decision.

The GMC is worse now. They decided to take down the YoYo Games Forums, and their members migrated to the GMC...

ToxicDuck

Quote from: igufed on May 31, 2014, 07:04:52 PM
Or, since Meiun has explicitly said that the game is definitely not being changed or altered in any way and he doesn't have the time to 'train' any more moderators to deal with issues, we let the game go where it is going.

I enjoy the game, but at the same time, I know it is on its way out and has been for a while.  Just find something else to occupy your time until the next iteration of the game is ready.

We're all still very lucky that he has kept the server up for this long.  Just be happy you can even log in at all at this point, years after it was not being developed anymore.

Right, the game is dying so it's better to just do absolutely nothing about it, and not even try to get the player count up. About the GM thing, that's why I said it was a miniscule chance, but I figured I'd at least TRY to think of something to fix the incredibly low activity.

I am happy that we can still log on, I'm happy that now we can make new accounts. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to fix the player count. It's not like the game needs a ton of players to be fun again, just recruiting 15-20 regular players would fix this problem, and hooray s.o would be fun again.

I don't understand how s.o not being developed anymore, means we should just sit back and watch V2 die.

Alright. Thanks for your input, meiun.

Quote from: 11clock on June 01, 2014, 12:17:42 AM
The GMC is worse now. They decided to take down the YoYo Games Forums, and their members migrated to the GMC...

So, I take it that means there was a large influx of young kids :S?

Matty_Richo

Quote from: ToxicDuck on June 01, 2014, 03:12:09 AM
Quote from: igufed on May 31, 2014, 07:04:52 PM
Or, since Meiun has explicitly said that the game is definitely not being changed or altered in any way and he doesn't have the time to 'train' any more moderators to deal with issues, we let the game go where it is going.

I enjoy the game, but at the same time, I know it is on its way out and has been for a while.  Just find something else to occupy your time until the next iteration of the game is ready.

We're all still very lucky that he has kept the server up for this long.  Just be happy you can even log in at all at this point, years after it was not being developed anymore.

Right, the game is dying so it's better to just do absolutely nothing about it, and not even try to get the player count up. About the GM thing, that's why I said it was a miniscule chance, but I figured I'd at least TRY to think of something to fix the incredibly low activity.

I am happy that we can still log on, I'm happy that now we can make new accounts. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to fix the player count. It's not like the game needs a ton of players to be fun again, just recruiting 15-20 regular players would fix this problem, and hooray s.o would be fun again.

I don't understand how s.o not being developed anymore, means we should just sit back and watch V2 die.

Alright. Thanks for your input, meiun.

Quote from: 11clock on June 01, 2014, 12:17:42 AM

So, I take it that means there was a large influx of young kids :S?

None of us want the game to die per se, but we do have to realise that this game hasn't had any new content in like 4 years and it won't have anymore content in the foreseeable future. Even if we had a bunch of new players, without a solid amount of active experienced players, they would quickly get bored.

There have been countless efforts to regain momentum and try to increase activity that have worked, but only for a little while. Christmas events really only have people playing during them, Official tournies only make the game active for a few days. The mini-tournies worked really well at the start but by the last one we did the amount of people there was a lot less in comparison.

We also can't purely rely on Dan to keep the game active. Yes it is difficult when he is our only GM as it does limit things but realistically we aren't going to get a new GM before V3 comes out.

I think the best thing we can do is to continue to enjoy it when we can. I'm sure we'll do a bunch more things over time (we've still probably got a couple of years before we see V3, though that is my, completely uneducated, assumption) and we'll have spikes of activity.

ToxicDuck

Quote from: Matty_Richo on June 01, 2014, 07:19:53 AM
None of us want the game to die per se, but we do have to realise that this game hasn't had any new content in like 4 years and it won't have anymore content in the foreseeable future. Even if we had a bunch of new players, without a solid amount of active experienced players, they would quickly get bored.

There have been countless efforts to regain momentum and try to increase activity that have worked, but only for a little while. Christmas events really only have people playing during them, Official tournies only make the game active for a few days. The mini-tournies worked really well at the start but by the last one we did the amount of people there was a lot less in comparison.

We also can't purely rely on Dan to keep the game active. Yes it is difficult when he is our only GM as it does limit things but realistically we aren't going to get a new GM before V3 comes out.

I think the best thing we can do is to continue to enjoy it when we can. I'm sure we'll do a bunch more things over time (we've still probably got a couple of years before we see V3, though that is my, completely uneducated, assumption) and we'll have spikes of activity.

When V2 first started there weren't really any experienced players, but it still worked out. I'm aware of the efforts to try and make the game active, and it's really great that the community is trying.

I do enjoy s.o the way it is now, it's just it can be much more fun like it used to be. There will be more efforts from the community to try and increase activity, but just like it does now, it will most likely only bring activity up for a very short amount of time.

V3 is probably still far away, that's why I don't think V2 should be dead just yet. Just because it's not in development anymore, doesn't mean player count has to drop substantially. I think the only way we can increase activity for the long run, is by being aggressive about letting people know about it. If at any point, we somehow were able to recruit a lot of new players, that would most likely make a lot of experienced players play again. I know if I logged on and saw 15 people on, even if it was just new players, I would be on for a long time. Instead of just logging on, seeing three people on, and then logging off.

When most of us first started playing, there was like a quarter of the content there is now, and to us, that was still quite a bit. New players wouldn't be upset about no updates, just because there would be so much for them to explore.

I know my efforts are probably pointless, but I still feel like I should try.

Also, sorry if I sounded like a dick Igu, I was a bit frustrated.

KrazyMotha

Tox, I appropriate the effort you are putting in! Even without development S.O. is a blast with a few solid members online. Stick-Online is a very unique game that has been a blast for all of us throughout most of our teenage years. I would love to play S.O. with a more active community and although I am busy this summer I would do my best to help and support any actions taken to improve S.O. numbers.

Igu, why even come here with that negativity? Stay off the forums if u don't care if the game dies. If Tox feels moved to give S.O. a shot at revival, then we should help out if we can. Instead of commenting on how hopeless his efforts are. Maybe try offering advice that would help S.O. grow for us few people who still want the community to grow.

I think if there is a way to revive S.O. that we should try for the time being! If we have the V2 community moving when V3 comes out then it will make the transition easier. We will have a steady group that can transfer to V3.

My suggestion (not very good unfortunately) have a summer event!!!! Which combines Halloween, Christmas and Easter event!!!!(so it takes no extra work)!!!!! totally epic :P

Fisuman

Well an update/event would be cool, that summer event idea reminded me that S.O has no sun :o  That leveling competition would go nicely with an event.

I'm ok with the game not being updated. (Though I wouldn't mind if it did get updated  :P)

Midnite

Who wants to play, I just played a bit and killed a blue jelly thing :D

Midnite