News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Pokemon Go (Mobile Game)

Started by TheRobert, July 17, 2016, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRobert

I'm probably the wrong person to create the initial post for the game but--
If anyone hasn't heard of Pokemon Go yet:

1. Move to a cave closer to other people?
2. "Pokémon Go is a free-to-play location-based augmented reality mobile game developed by Niantic and published by The Pokémon Company."
3. It's super fun, it gets you outside, you get exercise, you meet people, your social skills improve, you find someone, you pass on your genes, you now can die feeling accomplished.

As someone who gets mocked for never playing a pokemon game before this one, I am still having fun. My co workers and I are getting outside as opposed to just hanging out, playing video games or watching TV inside, meeting tons of nice people, and learning stuff about our city/state.

There's a lot to the game, but not at the same time. I have only played for a few days, but this is my impression of the "flow"

Just like any other pokemon game, you are given the option to capture one of three(maybe?) different starter pokemon,
unless you run away from those three a few different times in a row, then you have the chance to get pikachu
Along with that, you are given some starter items that will help you for a bit before you inevitably run out, and have to visit a pokestop.

Pokestops are actual locations in real life that, generally speaking, receive a good amount of traffic. Each time you visit one, you have the opportunity to click on it, on your screen, and flick the image to receive XP and items(pokeballs, raspberries, eggs, etc...) After you receive the XP/items from one, you must wait a few minutes for it to refresh and for you to be able to get more items from it. As your level increases, your chance to get better items from pokestops goes up. A player can place a lure module on the pokestop to attract pokemon for all nearby players. Players can buy lure modules with in-game coins you earn from controlling gyms, or the player buys.

As you walk around in real life, you'll notice pokemon will randomly appear. If you click on them, you get a few chances to throw pokeballs at them. If you land a successful throw, you get XP, stardust, and can capture them forever and store them in your bag for later evolution or power-up. Alternatively, you can transfer them to the professor to recieve candy respective to that pokemon, which is used to evolve/power up your pokemon. The eggs you receive from pokestops can be put into an incubator, and you have to walk their respective distance to hatch them. They come in 3 variants: 2 km, 5 km, and 10 km. As expected, better pokemon come from the higher km eggs.

If you insist on not walking/going outside. You can drive slowly(sub 15 mph?) or you can sit in one spot and pop an incense which attract pokemon to you.

Each pokemon has a CP level(combat power). It ranges from low(haven't seen sub 10) to over a couple thousand? You need candy alone to evolve your pokemon. You need a lot less candy to power-up your pokemon, but you also need stardust.
If you have 25 Eevee candies, you can name your Eevee a speciic name, to force the evolution it gets.
"Rainer" for Vaporeon. "Sparky" for Jolteon, and "Pyro" for Flareon. This is an Easter-egg and reference to the show.

When you hit level 5, Gyms become relevant as they are where you get to decide your team. There are three teams, each with a respective legendary pokemon. The teams are Valor (Red), Mystic (Blue), and Instinct (Yellow.) If you choose anything but Instinct, you're wrong.
Gyms are where players put their pokemon up, to battle other players pokemon. As your pokemon stays on the gym, controlling it for an amount of time, you can receive coins that you redeem from the in-game shop menu once every twenty-one hours. If the gym you're at is controlled by your team, you can train there, and level up the gym. With each prestige the gym achieves, a new pokemon can be placed by the controlling team. In order to take over control of a gym, you must defeat the gym multiple times, until you drop it's prestige down low enough, and it becomes neutral. Anyone can see that it's neutral, and anyone can place a pokemon on the gym at this time.
-I am not as advanced as the players are around me so I have sorta just stayed away from the gyms and am the wrong person to explain this feature.
I feel like this is all out of order
I'll try to be more clear with the items.

Pokeballs - Balls you throw at wild pokemon to try to capture them. As your level increases, you can get better variants of the balls (which have a higher success rate for catching pokemon?)
Raspberries - Niantic's super weak pokemon-roofies.
Incense - Some smokey stuff that attracts pokemon to you and only you for 30 mins.
Lure Module - Incense for pokestops that attract pokemon to the poketsop for all nearby players for 30 mins.
Lucky Eggs - These increase your XP gains 2x for 30 mins
Eggs/Incubators - Walk to hatch pokemon, so if you're in the middle of no where, you can still get pokemon. You receive an incubator with infinite uses, but you can receive more from leveling up that have the ability to only hatch 3 eggs, or you can buy them.
Revives/potions - use these on your fallen pokemon from battles to get them back in good condition. They have a few different variants that I haven't had any experience with yet.

You can upgrade your item/pokemon storage for a couple hundred coins.

I have only been playing it since like friday, but my buds know like exactly what to do, and they helped me power level up from level 6 to level 12 in just a couple hours. I've absorbed a lot, but I don't know everything("wow that's crazy." I know...)

If you have any questions, go downtown and ask anyone hanging out at a pokestop. /r/Pokemongo is also a good source for information. YouTube has blown up with gameplay. Nick from the channel Trainer Tips is the only commentator/channel that doesn't bother me-- while providing all of the information I have given you here, and then some.

I am going to pretend like this is done and it is what I tried to make it look like and hit post because job in 7 hours.