News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Folding@home

Started by ARTgames, November 27, 2009, 01:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on April 19, 2010, 01:18:51 PM
What the hell? Why are you guys even discussing a double post that happened 5 months ago?
I think it's because I just recently stickied this topic. Either way, doesn't really matter. Back on topic please people.

bubba

Wastes precious CPU cycles, what has science ever done for me anyway?

Lingus

Doesn't it give priority to anything you are doing? It only uses idle processing time? But, what the down side to that would be is that it could potentially burn your cpu out sooner than normal. In that sense it's even worse than taking up processing cycles. It's costing you money because you have to replace your computer sooner.

ARTgames

Lingus have you used it? That's nothing to worry about. But i understand your concern.

Its not going to make your PC die any faster then it will go obsolete. Or in other words your comp will be too old to do anything before this makes your PC die. Its no worse then watching flash video. Its actually less intensive than it. The priority on this is set to "low" on windoes. So the effect on your other apps will be nil. I have played codmw2 with it running and had no performance hits. I have been running this for years off and on with no problems. This will not do anything your PC was not built to do.

This program is not prime 95 ware it will max out your CPU and make your fans run at max unless you tell it to (by default its not, but you can go there if you want to). Non the less I'm sure your extra cycles are going to a better cause then what your doing on your PC when your not using it or doing simple stuff.

Now i will suggest not to run this on a laptop for batterylife.

The GPU client does make your GPU work hard but still the same apples like the CPU.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on April 19, 2010, 07:51:21 PMThis program is not prime 95 ware it will max out your CPU and make your fans run at max unless you tell it to (by default its not, but you can go there if you want to).
That's good to know. Though still, even if it's not at full capacity, it's still making the CPU run more than if I were to not run it. And even though it's not at max, it's still constant 24/7, correct? But yea I guess something else on the computer will probably fail first anyways.

And no I haven't used this yet.

ARTgames

Check it out and help get so up on rankings. Its easy to take off if you don't like it. BTW i use the "Console client". I just delete the folder and its gone for good.

Hell if you got an old extra PC laying around put it to work and don't use your main one.

Lingus

Also didn't think about this, but how much extra electricity do you think your computer uses over time by having the CPU and fan running that bit extra? I'm sure it's not much, but I'm really cost concious so I tend to think of those things.

Yea, I might try it out.

Meiun

The idea is generaly that you use the program when you are not at your computer, so in that case you don't really need to worry about priority or it using up your processing power that would otherwise be used for other programs (although I do believe it does try to take low priority when doing other stuff anyways). Other than that, whether it is worth it really comes down to how stingy you are I guess. The way I see it, it is a bigger waste to have millions of computers all around the world sitting there idle, wasting precious computing/processing potential when they could instead be used for something good. I suppose if you really want to get technical, leaving your processor busy all the time could slightly shorten its lifespan. But as long as your computer is well ventilated and dosnt get super hot it probly won't have that huge an impact. What kills the cpu is really more in being exposed to excess heat for extended periods of time, not so much how many total cycles it goes through/"use" it gets.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on April 19, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
Also didn't think about this, but how much extra electricity do you think your computer uses over time by having the CPU and fan running that bit extra? I'm sure it's not much, but I'm really cost concious so I tend to think of those things.
yeah that's true. They thought of that also. Its nothing to worry about as i said. I think a cure to Altimers or the other stuff is worth it. But it is your own PC an ill respect that.

Infection

I'd like to say that I've joined it, but it won't show my name until I've completed a WU (Work Unit)
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Turkey

So I just type 175789 for the team number in the config, and I'm on the team?

Meiun

Quote from: Turkey on April 26, 2010, 02:33:49 AM
So I just type 175789 for the team number in the config, and I'm on the team?
Yup, simple as that.

Lucifer

I'll be sure to leave it running, I haven't seen it effect anything I've done so far, call of duty runs the same as before.

Trent

Quote from: Lingus on April 19, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
I'm sure it's not much, but I'm really cost concious

::) ::) ::)

Scotty

I've been using World Community Grid since well before Folding@Home was even conceptualized, and my whole take on this, is very similar to Meiun's.  Imagine to yourself, if you will, how many personal computers are run 24/7 by folks who don't care to turn them off at night, or even how many have them on, and leave them on throughout the day when only spending a fraction of that time actually using it.  What better way to utilize them, than to turn them into a network of work-horses and get them to do collective computing for organizations who need as much computing power as possible.  I haven't ever noticed any downsides to WCG when running it, and never really noticed any differences with connection speeds or anything.  I say it's worth it, and the loss of processor life due to it is likely negligible.  You'll more than likely have something else kill your computer well before the program drains it.