News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Started by Matty_Richo, October 23, 2014, 07:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

I was surprised to notice this topic hadn't already been made.

I've been playing the demo of the 3DS version a fair bit (gonna wait and buy the Wii U version) and it's pretty awesome. I've been playing mostly as Villager but have played a bit with Mega Man too.

Has anyone got the game yet? If so, how have you found it so far?

crozier

So, helio and I bought the 3ds version. It's pretty good so far. I'm really digging the online and he's digging the smash run. As far as online goes, is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes you get lagg-free fights, sometimes it's just awful/ borderline impossible to play in. So usually when you find a equally matched opponent with minimal lagg, you usually stick with them for a handful of matches. But, overall, it's a pretty fun game.

The character selection is easily the best in the series. Newcomers Little Mac, Greninja, Rosalina, Villager, Robin, Mega Man, DHD, etc are all great and have different playstyles. Sure, I could nitpick by saying "oh they didn't bring back Mewtwo/ Wolf/ Lucas/ etc", but the roster is pretty strong. And a lot of the veterans received some significant buffs since Brawl (Bowser, Ness, Zero Suit, ROB, Link, Sheik, Captain Falcon, to name a few). There are a bunch of cool new stages also (my personal favorites being the snes inspired Mute City stage and Reset Bomb Fortress).

There's a few things missing: like Event Matches, Break the Targets, and Adventure modes. Which is a shame... But, hopefully we will see their return in the Wii U version.

11clock

I own the game. It's very good. Here are my three major complaints about the game, though.

1. Some of the challenges are stupid. Walk 31 miles with all characters? Get 1000 kills in Smash? How are these challenging? There are some really good challenges, such as getting 200 kills in a single Endless Smash run and breaking all red targets in Target Blast, but there are several of them that bother me.

2. Climb and Race in Smash Run. I like Smash Run, but it would be a lot better without these stat specific AND character specific mini-games. I'm fine with all of the other ones that have shown up for me, just not these two.

3. Some missing modes. No Special, Tournament, and Event modes.

Now for the things I like.

1. Stage variety is the best I've seen from these games. Almost no boring stages this time. There were way too many stages in Brawl that were just bland. If you don't like stage gimmicks, you can always play the flat versions of the stages. Basically, you have the option to make any stage in the game take the form of Final Destination.

2. Character roster is very impressive and well balanced.

3. Despite some missing modes, there is a lot to do in this game.

My 3DS cannot access wi-fi in my current location, so I cannot play any online modes, but I don't care too much. The single player experience is solid and has kept me entertained for hours upon hours.

Matty_Richo

I'd bring both of your attentions to this video then: http://youtu.be/j0BBGzfw0pQ (you may have already seen it).
It addresses most of the complaints you have.

Watching this has made me super excited about getting it on Wii U.

11clock

Quote from: Matty_Richo on October 25, 2014, 01:41:24 AM
I'd bring both of your attentions to this video then: http://youtu.be/j0BBGzfw0pQ (you may have already seen it).
It addresses most of the complaints you have.

Watching this has made me super excited about getting it on Wii U.

This applies to the Wii U version, which I don't care much for.

crozier

I'm definitely psyched for the Wii U version. The stage builder looks vastly improved, the new modes look interesting, and the DLC (additional characters, like MewTwo) is free if you own both versions. 

But, yeah: Smash Bros, Zelda Wii U, Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Star Fox, Project Cars, and Fire Emblem X Shin Megemi Tensei? Now THOSE are my types of games. Looking forward to their releases. Definitely a good reason to own a Wii U.

Matty_Richo

Quote from: crozier on October 31, 2014, 12:09:23 PM
I'm definitely psyched for the Wii U version. The stage builder looks vastly improved, the new modes look interesting, and the DLC (additional characters, like MewTwo) is free if you own both versions. 

But, yeah: Smash Bros, Zelda Wii U, Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Star Fox, Project Cars, and Fire Emblem X Shin Megemi Tensei? Now THOSE are my types of games. Looking forward to their releases. Definitely a good reason to own a Wii U.

I actually just picked up a copy of the 3DS Smash Bros. today. I'd love to get some multiplayer going with you guys if you're up for it.

I'm pretty psyched to have a Wii U now. I'm especially keen on Splatoon and Captain Toad (I loved those levels of 3D World) and of course Mario Maker.

11clock

Quote from: Matty_Richo on November 01, 2014, 04:03:12 AM
Quote from: crozier on October 31, 2014, 12:09:23 PM

I actually just picked up a copy of the 3DS Smash Bros. today. I'd love to get some multiplayer going with you guys if you're up for it.

I'm pretty psyched to have a Wii U now. I'm especially keen on Splatoon and Captain Toad (I loved those levels of 3D World) and of course Mario Maker.

I can play right now, actually. We need to exchange friend codes, right?

Matty_Richo

I actually don't have any Friends on my 3DS yet so I'm not sure how it works. But I'll just stick my friend code up here and you're all welcome to add me (my in-game name is Jabob) 1118-0246-9374. If you're in-game name is different from your Stick Online name just let me know who you are when you add me :)

Matty_Richo

So I picked up the Wii U version a couple of days ago (Stupid Australia getting everything late) and it's pretty awesome so far. Has anyone else gotten it thus far?