News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Idea to revive s.o.

Started by ToxicDuck, May 22, 2014, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToxicDuck

I'm sure many of you are aware, it seems s.o is once again dying. Activity has been put to a crawl. In order to fix this, we need something that would make a lot of players be interested again. If you log on now, most of the time you will see that there is only you online. This discourages people from playing, you log on, you see there's only you online, and you log off. This creates a never ending cycle. I think to fix this we need new players.

My idea, is for Meiun to consider the idea of letting someone, or himself post a topic on the GMC. Making sure to say V2 is not in development, making sure to tell people that this is just a gift, and that all dedication is going towards V3.

We could run into the problem where there's too many players, creating too much of a strain on the server. Most of you've experienced it, where at places like tournies, if a large amount of people move there is a d/c. We could solve this, simply by putting a limit on the accounts registered. Once that many accounts are registered, Meiun could make it so you can't register any more accounts.

Getting a nice amount of new players would also make senior members play more. The main reason a lot of people don't play now, is solely for the reason that there are no people to interact with. A game like s.o needs a social aspect to it. If we don't fix this problem somehow, V2 will die.

I'd really like Meiuns and your guys input on this idea. If you can think of any problems this could cause, I'm sure we would be able to figure out a way to fix this.

Matty_Richo

Posting to the GMC would definitely bring in a bunch of new players. There aren't a heap of MMOs on there at the moment (about 5 years ago there was a new one being posted daily).

We do have to wonder though, do we want it posted there. Most of us that joined Stick Online between 2005 and 2008, when it was still in development, were very young, I must have been 10 or 11 when I first joined. I have memories of the old forums with the likes of myself, Lucifer, RobMarinade, Torch, etc. and we were all very young and immature and created a new topic in the suggestions section every week asking for Meiun to add trading.

My only caution about posting it on the GMC in it's current state is that we may get a new batch of really young guys. Now once V3 is out I think there is definitely room for that and I will be excited to have them when V3 is out. But while the game is not currently being updated it could be frustrating having a large group of 13 and 14 year olds joining in right now.

Just some food for thought.

ToxicDuck

That's a good point, I first joined s.o a very long time ago when I was also young and immature. But it still worked out. When v3 is released, there will be a ton of young new members most likely anyways. I feel as if it's a risk that is worth taking. We may get a bunch of young kids, but we'll get some older members too who can become respected members in the community. Even that, if some kids joined, it's not to say they can't be respected. Think of how many members here started playing when they were just children or young teens. Now they're respected members of the community.

We'll get young annoying kids sure, but we'll get kids/adult that are good players, that we can enjoy to play the game with. Most people who used to play s.o, probably doesn't even know that there is a forum, or that it's even still around at all. If we bring in a lot of players now, young or old, that's more people who will play right when V3 is released.

Thanks for your opinions matty, I appreciate the feedback :).

Meiun

I'm not totally against the idea of it being posted somewhere, but I definitely would not want that place to be the GMC. The majority of the trouble-makers seemed to come from the GMC. Back when V2 was at the peak of popularity and we had a GMC topic of over 100 pages, I actually had that topic deleted voluntarily (the game was sustaining it's popularity far well enough without the GMC), and in doing so reduced the flow of trouble-makers and rule breakers by probably 90% while still maintaining a pretty strong rate of new player registrations. Not really a situation I would want to revisit, especially for such an old and out of development game.

ToxicDuck

Quote from: Meiun on May 22, 2014, 10:21:03 AM
I'm not totally against the idea of it being posted somewhere, but I definitely would not want that place to be the GMC. The majority of the trouble-makers seemed to come from the GMC. Back when V2 was at the peak of popularity and we had a GMC topic of over 100 pages, I actually had that topic deleted voluntarily (the game was sustaining it's popularity far well enough without the GMC), and in doing so reduced the flow of trouble-makers and rule breakers by probably 90% while still maintaining a pretty strong rate of new player registrations. Not really a situation I would want to revisit, especially for such an old and out of development game.

That makes sense, I wasn't aware most of the trouble makers came from the GMC. If you're not totally against posting it somewhere, do you have any ideas of a place that would be suitable to post? I have absolutely no idea where else you'd be able to advertise a game like s.o. I appreciate your input meiun, thanks.

Meiun

Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 22, 2014, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: Meiun on May 22, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

That makes sense, I wasn't aware most of the trouble makers came from the GMC. If you're not totally against posting it somewhere, do you have any ideas of a place that would be suitable to post? I have absolutely no idea where else you'd be able to advertise a game like s.o. I appreciate your input meiun, thanks.
I'm not really sure where else could be any good. I never really spent much time advertising it in the past (most of it was done by fans posting stuff and word of mouth). Either way, I don't think I'd want to be posting anything myself as I think that would send the wrong kind of message in terms of future support for V2, but if anyone has any suggestions for a player driven approach to this that might end up working.

ToxicDuck

Yeah, I understand why you wouldn't want to post it yourself, since then it'd be more like the game is being released, rather than someone just talking about it. Back when I used to animate, I was apart of a forum for a website called stick page. Perhaps that would be a good place to post it? Would you be alright with me making a topic, if I clarify that I didn't make it, and that I'm not apart of the team and such? I also remember s.o used to be on a free mmorpg lists website. I don't remember what it's called, but that's where one of my friends found the game. So maybe that would work also.

Meiun

Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 22, 2014, 12:32:49 PM
Yeah, I understand why you wouldn't want to post it yourself, since then it'd be more like the game is being released, rather than someone just talking about it. Back when I used to animate, I was apart of a forum for a website called stick page. Perhaps that would be a good place to post it? Would you be alright with me making a topic, if I clarify that I didn't make it, and that I'm not apart of the team and such? I also remember s.o used to be on a free mmorpg lists website. I don't remember what it's called, but that's where one of my friends found the game. So maybe that would work also.
That would be fine with me as long as you do mention all of those details, and are also sure to emphasize that this is a really old version that has been out of development for a while, and that any/all development attention the game does get is being focused on the entirely new remake (V3).

darkflash

This is great idea. I admit myself I do log on daily to see if anyones on then log off is anyones not :(

ToxicDuck

Quote from: Meiun on May 22, 2014, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 22, 2014, 12:32:49 PM
That would be fine with me as long as you do mention all of those details, and are also sure to emphasize that this is a really old version that has been out of development for a while, and that any/all development attention the game does get is being focused on the entirely new remake (V3).
Thanks for your permission meiun, I'll make sure to include all of those details.
Quote from: darkflash on May 22, 2014, 08:04:49 PM
This is great idea. I admit myself I do log on daily to see if anyones on then log off is anyones not :(
I've also been guilty of this quite a few times :(.

Mr Pwnage

To add to this idea, I'd like the old style pvp system where you could attack people with pvp off. Made things a lot more interesting imo
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

ToxicDuck

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 23, 2014, 02:58:52 PM
To add to this idea, I'd like the old style pvp system where you could attack people with pvp off. Made things a lot more interesting imo

I also miss the old pvp system. I remember being killed by others, it made it so that my main motivation was to get stronger, which made me play much longer.

darkflash

Quote from: ToxicDuck on May 23, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 23, 2014, 02:58:52 PM

I also miss the old pvp system. I remember being killed by others, it made it so that my main motivation was to get stronger, which made me play much longer.

Yes.

ToxicDuck

Even with my efforts, over the last week and a half or so, I've only been able to obtain four new people. I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that would allow people to post games like s.o.

Meiun, I know you're against the GMC due to most trouble makers coming from there. I know if it was posted there, there would be a decent amount of players again, I also know that right now Dan is the only active GM, and it may be too much to moderate. I was hoping that there was a slight possibility I could get you to change your mind. If it was posted at the GMC, and it did bring in too many people to moderate, perhaps you would be able to employ another GM, I'm sure at least one of the respected members that has been playing for years here would be up for the job. I know what I'm saying has an incredibly minuscule chance of you approving of it, but I figured I'd at least try to give it a try.

igufed

Or, since Meiun has explicitly said that the game is definitely not being changed or altered in any way and he doesn't have the time to 'train' any more moderators to deal with issues, we let the game go where it is going.

I enjoy the game, but at the same time, I know it is on its way out and has been for a while.  Just find something else to occupy your time until the next iteration of the game is ready.

We're all still very lucky that he has kept the server up for this long.  Just be happy you can even log in at all at this point, years after it was not being developed anymore.

Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0