News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Folding@home

Started by ARTgames, November 27, 2009, 01:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Double Post:  So I'm looking over the website for Folding@Home and honestly, I'm not impressed at all.  The biggest thing I liked about World Community Grid is that I could go to the website and view all sorts of statistics on what exact projects I've contributed to, what my team has contributed to, who's the biggest contributors, how long everyone has been running the app for, working units, everything (literally, it has everything you would ever want to know about it).  Folding at home has nothing more than individual stats and a few boring collective stats like time ran for teams and such.  It doesn't really break down to show you what you're contributing to.  For instance, on World Community Grid I notice that since I re-instated my client, my largest contributions are:

Points       Results        Total
Project                           Generated    Returned       Run Time (y:d:h:m:s)

Help Conquer Cancer               4,408        15             0:001:12:28:27   
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2  2,396        4              0:000:19:43:42
FightAIDS@Home                    2,591        4              0:000:23:56:48

From there I can find further information about each project that I've contributed to, and what they do.  I'm still in favor of World Community Grid, although, I will not bash anyone who goes with one or the other, as long as they do something!  I just find World Community Grid more rewarding than Folding@Home to use.

ARTgames

Dose it really matter Scotty which one you use? Your still helping people eather way. Pick what ever you want to be a part of. Hell be a member of more than one if you want. No one stopping you.

If you don't want to help with eather of these, there is a wiki page with a lot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

Meiun

I think it's more important that they are actually doing something good rather than how awesome their site is at filling you in about the specifics of how your efforts are being utilized. Folding home from what I understand has the potential to help find a cure for something too. While both seem good, to me, finding cures is infinitely more important than just finding better ways to treat something incurable. But both are obviously still really good things to contribute to.

Scotty

Ahem...

Quote from: Scotty on May 20, 2010, 12:59:13 AM
I'm still in favor of World Community Grid, although, I will not bash anyone who goes with one or the other, as long as they do something!  I just find World Community Grid more rewarding than Folding@Home to use.

Again, I will say it, I don't care, as long as you do something.  I just like to know what my computer is being used for.  Hell, I'm running both at the moment (look at Stick Online's team stats page and guess which one I am).  If Folding@Home blows your hair back, sweet!  I just like to see what my computer is being used for instead of getting a useless graphic thrown in my face hoping I'm not contributing to Stanford's drug addiction or something equally preposterous to accuse.

ARTgames

Your not contributing to there drug addiction. What they are doing is in the name of the app. (Aka folding, protein folding) If you head to there FAQ they say. http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FoldingFAQ.pdf

bubba

What makes me worry the most about this application is the fact Google supports it.

ARTgames

And? I have no idea what you mean.

Lucifer

Quote from: ARTgames on June 05, 2010, 09:01:19 AM
Nobody has any idea what the !@#$ Daru means, haha, ignore him.

bubba

Quote from: ARTgames on June 05, 2010, 09:01:19 AM
Because Google REALLY wants to target customers as much as they can, they like to look at your PC and see what you like to do so they know who the target audience is!
Being able to retrieve data from your PC directly is a pretty common google tactic (try installing one of their many applications :]), now I don't believe F@N does this, but it's only a matter of time before someone does do this, the promise if helping someone if you promise to reveal a little information about yourself, the abusement of charity if you ask me.

Loganvz123

--

Dan

Just signed up for this as Crimzen, joined our team (Which has 1,299,772 points, ranked 5,900 something i believe) and will be doing this from now on!