News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Glacier Volcano [SO2 extention]

Started by Prosper, September 17, 2010, 07:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosper

I originaly offered this to Meiun back in february 2010. Although Meiun appreciated the attention it wont be added to SO2 because its just a thank you to donors and that this would represent some work to integrate and balance.

I had kept it secret hoping silently..

Now I am releasing for all to see what I had worked on just so ppl can comment and add their thoughts to the project I worked on.

Here is the original description straight out of my PM to Meiun :

MAP :

Past the boat there is a Glacier leading to inside a volcano, you can get out the other side and rest of glacier goes back to sea.

Monsters :

On the glacier

I made some 'Frostys' (smaller snowmen) which could have The Snowman spawning as a boss.

In the Volcano

I designed baby dragons as regular spawning monsters, a Fire and Ice "Dark Sage-sized" dragon bosses and a very rare Black Dragon "twice bigger" Boss.

As of the item drops (mostly yet to be designed)

Frosty(stronger than cactus; weaker than Sand fiend) drops :
- Frosty hat (probly some kind of ear-muffs) : +2 str/agi/vit/int +20hp +20int
- A few other common drops (i.e. : dagger/whip)

Baby Dragon(Stronger than sand fiend; weaker than Dark Sage) drops :
- Baby dragon helm : +2 def +4 agi +double jump (kind of second jump from mid-air 50% weaker than a regular jump (not crouch jump).

Fire Dragon Boss (Stronger than Dark Sage; weaker than Sand Golem) Drops :
- Dragoon helm
- Inferno Sword

Ice Dragon Boss (Stronger than Dark Sage; weaker than Sand Golem) Drops :
- Dragoon helm
- Ice Spear (pretty much same stats as inferno sword)

Black Dragon Boss (Strong like 2 Sand golems) Drops :
- Current GM hat (with reduced stats, something like +5 +5 +5 +5 and +5 def)
- Dragon Soul Whip - Animation similar to regular whip but with a soul dragon biting instead of a regular snap. Power of wooden hammer, speed of regular whip and slightly higher range.

* I could also work on a new GM hat design.

All in all (if you're still reading) I know you usually dont implement other peoples ideas AND that you are no longer developping SO2.

I tried to design it just so you don't need to do much more than just copy/pasting and editing the coding from what already exists in SO2 (exception made to baby dragon hat with the double jump -- At worst it could be a reduced version of FoG's crown or something)

[End of PM to MEIUN]

And this is a sample/desktop theme of me in my volcano :P

Mystery

As far as area suggestions go, if this was balanced and reformed to the point where I could see it in-game, it'd be a cool addition.

Nitpicking time.

QuoteFire Dragon Boss (Stronger than Dark Sage; weaker than Sand Golem) Drops :
- Dragoon helm
- Inferno Sword
What is the point of having a monster stronger than Dark Sage, yet with the exact same drops? I feel like it would need a different drop, something along the lines of...not a sword. Way too many of those as suggestions lately, need more variety.

QuoteIce Dragon Boss (Stronger than Dark Sage; weaker than Sand Golem) Drops :
- Dragoon helm
- Ice Spear (pretty much same stats as inferno sword)
I should hope that it's different in some way from the IS, otherwise it'd be a waste of data. Maybe range like the Snowball but less, damage slightly less than IS, and stamina usage like the LSS.

Baby Dragon(Stronger than sand fiend; weaker than Dark Sage) drops :
- Baby dragon helm : +2 def +4 agi +double jump (kind of second jump from mid-air 50% weaker than a regular jump (not crouch jump).
I feel like it should be the Dragon Wing Helm or something along those lines, and with no AGI boost, too many AGI hats nowadays. A good stat suggestion would be along the lines of +4 Def, +2 STR, and -.5 gravity, like the Gravity Crown.

Black Dragon Boss (Strong like 2 Sand golems) Drops :
- Current GM hat (with reduced stats, something like +5 +5 +5 +5 and +5 def)
- Dragon Soul Whip - Animation similar to regular whip but with a soul dragon biting instead of a regular snap. Power of wooden hammer, speed of regular whip and slightly higher range.
I have several issues with this monster. First off, the strength of 2 SGs? That is ridiculous, and I would only see working if we had numbers like before the donor server in terms of people on.

Regarding the special drops, a modified GM hat? With stats like that? I realize how strong the monster is, but please. That would by far be the best hat in SO, outclassing all tourney hats and even the DKH. No balance whatsoever. If something like this were to be implemented, it should be a Legendary item(like a Legendary Basilisk Crown), with drop rates similar to that of LSS, if not rarer. Something along the lines of +4 STR, +2 AGI, +4 VIT, +3 INT, +3 Def, +30 HP. Even that is VERY highly pushing it, as it still completely destroys all other hats. And by comparison, the Dragon Soul Whip sounds incredibly underpowered. I'd like to have it have the attack rate of Katana with longer range and stamina usage of less than Slasher at that damage rate.

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Prosper

Cool ! that's exactly the kind of comment I'm looking forward to having in this topic. Back when I thought of the new items and all I didnt really take the time to balance things. My main focus was on delivering a general idea. I appreaciate and do think your suggestion are better propositions than the ones in my original topic. :)

Mystery

Quote from: Prosper on September 17, 2010, 09:01:44 PM
Cool ! that's exactly the kind of comment I'm looking forward to having in this topic. Back when I thought of the new items and all I didnt really take the time to balance things. My main focus was on delivering a general idea. I appreaciate and do think your suggestion are better propositions than the ones in my original topic. :)
That's understandable. And no problem, it's what I'm here for.  ;)

Mr Pwnage

The concept is pretty neat, but the surface outlining of your areas does not match the rest of SO, with the exception of the volcanic portion, which is really well done. It may fall under the realm of over-detailed, but in my own opinion I'd say looks decent. The monsters look well-sprited, but don't match the SO style. I like the dragon head inside of the volcano, it's really well done.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 17, 2010, 09:37:00 PM
The concept is pretty neat, but the surface outlining of your areas does not match the rest of SO, with the exception of the volcanic portion, which is really well done.
Surface outlining in the game varies, some things are outlines, some aren't.

The monsters look well-sprited, but don't match the SO style.
I fail to see how they don't, if anything, I think they match it perfectly. The Guardian Helm foG has doesn't match the SO style, too much contrast and an overly cartoon look. Yet there is no problem with IT being in the game. I'm not saying it was bad at all, it is a nice hat, but it in no way matches the style of SO.

Prosper

The concept is pretty neat, but the surface outlining of your areas does not match the rest of SO

I tried to mimic the desert surface but as a glacier. As for the Shading .. I agree that it shades in the wrong direction for one side of the volcano glacier.  :-\

with the exception of the volcanic portion, which is really well done. It may fall under the realm of over-detailed,

As for the Magma base I inspired the shading from the Wall in Desert and added magma through it. And the top platforms are ment to be there for pvp. It's an alternative to the arena or Temple. And it provides shelter from Black Dragons.

It is over detailed tho  :-\

I like the dragon head inside of the volcano, it's really well done.

Thanks a lot :) glad you like it.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Mystery on September 17, 2010, 09:45:41 PM
The concept is pretty neat, but the surface outlining of your areas does not match the rest of SO, with the exception of the volcanic portion, which is really well done.
Surface outlining in the game varies, some things are outlines, some aren't.

The monsters look well-sprited, but don't match the SO style.
I fail to see how they don't, if anything, I think they match it perfectly. The Guardian Helm foG has doesn't match the SO style, too much contrast and an overly cartoon look. Yet there is no problem with IT being in the game. I'm not saying it was bad at all, it is a nice hat, but it in no way matches the style of SO.

Since when does any tournament crown fit the normal style? Have you seen special boys crown? And you can't compare hat style to monster style...completely separate. And the shading and outlines are done incorrectly for monsters. Again, there's nothing wrong with them, he obviously could have made them more compatible if he had taken the time to, but point being as of current they wouldn't fit in...though your entitled to your opinion. As for the surfaces varying, yes, that is definitely true, but his surfaces don't blend the same way those differ making it look awkward in some areas.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mystery

Since when does any tournament crown fit the normal style? Have you seen special boys crown?
specialboy's crown to some extent matches the style, as do all other tourney helms besides the Guardian Helm.

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 17, 2010, 09:52:15 PM
And you can't compare hat style to monster style...completely separate. And the shading and outlines are done incorrectly for monsters. Again, there's nothing wrong with them, he obviously could have made them more compatible if he had taken the time to, but point being as of current they wouldn't fit in...though your entitled to your opinion.
I fail to see how hat style and monster style are 'separate'. They all fall under the jurisdiction of the SO style, somewhat under-detailed, very plain cartoon images(and they are still amazing).

I also fail to see how the outlining is any different than any other monster in SO. Looks pretty similar to me.

As for the part about you thinking they wouldn't fit in, that's your opinion as well, it's not the case here. I am of the opinion that it would fit in nicely with some revamping.

Prosper

Quoteit look awkward in some areas.

Especially the volcano entrance and exit.

Quotehe obviously could have made them more compatible if he had taken the time to

If Meiun asked me to polish this work tomorrow in order to fit it in the game, I'd definately make it a lot prettier :). I spent at most a week on my spare time after work (time I usually played SO) to draw everything out of my head. I had that idea for a while and wanted to make it real.

[EDIT] Whoo.. 100th post... /me dances

crozier

hmm, what to say...
Well first off I would have to agree with pwnage about them being a different style. They dont seem right, especially with the black outline. I do not like the baby dragons whatsoever, and I wouldn't be able to stand looking at them even if a boss comes out in the end. It doesn't look like it would be coming from any of the so2 spriters really.
The red, and big black dragon are appealing though.(Yeah I dont like the blue one) Frosty is intrested too, but it's name is pretty lame. Frost Monster,or Ice Snowman (just general ideas) sound more like SO's monster names. Bandit assassin, dark sage, sand fiend, sand golem, rock beast... See what Im getting at? The other monsters are also just what they are. When you see it a snowman you call it a snowman. Like if you see a cactus you call it a cactus, or a blob a blob.

OK next, yeah some of the drops are incredibally under/overpowered. The gm hat :O Even reduced it is crazy strong. Im not a fan of that.
Anyway I would be a fan of a new area, but this isn't the thing that you can just add in without some changes. Im glad you put some effort into this and can you animate sprites?

Prosper

I agree Baby dragon is quite Edgy and quickly sketched (10mins in MS Paint). Its the last thing I drawn I was kinda in a hurry to submit the idea.

As I mentionned above, If the idea was to be accepted I would dedicate a lot more to it and I have animated sprites before. Its just lenghty.. I wont animate anything just for fun. I will if its to make it in the game.

I too actually agree that this hat would be over powered.. I typed it in without thinking about balancing at that time.

The reason why you dont like the blue one is because The original one is the RED Fire dragon. Then for the 2 others I just colorized them using paint shop pro.

Everything else is drawn pixel by pixel in MS Paint, including the world map.

crozier

I hope you dont mind but apon looking at your sbbd (scary big black dragon) I noticed it was jpgish and blurry. idk if it was an effect. But, yeah I decided to try to edit yours.
http://[forbiddensite]/up/07162dd85e57114486685c75d3a8d7d5.gif
I also fixed a few small things like the weird stomach thing under his left arm.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: crozier on September 18, 2010, 07:04:01 PM
I hope you dont mind but apon looking at your sbbd (scary big black dragon) I noticed it was jpgish and blurry. idk if it was an effect. But, yeah I decided to try to edit yours.
http://[forbiddensite]/up/07162dd85e57114486685c75d3a8d7d5.gif
I also fixed a few small things like the weird stomach thing under his left arm.

I think it was to mimic the Sand Golem.

crozier

Oh I see that.
Well tell me what you think prosper.