News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Fractal Analysis of Deep Sea Topography

Started by Scotty, January 20, 2011, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Fractal Analysis of Deep Sea Topography
Marc Spiegelman and Chris Scholz
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory

Recent high resolution mapping of deep-sea topography shows clearly that there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. To repeat, there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. There's a hole?there's a hole?there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. Moreover, more careful analysis indicates that there is a multitude of scale lengths in the bathymetric data. For instance, there's a log in the hole in the bottom of the sea. There's a bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea. There's a frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea. And there's a flea on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea. Figure 1 shows the 5 orders of magnitude inherent in the data plotted in log-log space and indicates a fractal dimension d = 2.76. Plotting in log-frog space gives d = 2.5. No attempt has been made to understand this result.

log |                                      |
M   |                   0                  | (anti M)
   |                                      |
   |                            0         |
   |                                      |
   |                                    0 |
   |______________________________________|
    flea    frog     bump     log     hole
                 Log T

ARTgames

DarkTrinity

11clock

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on January 20, 2011, 06:55:31 PM
Recent high resolution mapping of deep-sea topography shows clearly that there's a hole in the bottom of the sea.

Duhh, it's where the Ceadeus from Monster Hunter Tri lives. Obviously.

sly 3 4 me

It all makes sense now.. Haven't played MHT in a while.

Scotty

Apparently the collective nerd power of SO is too little to comprehend this phenomena.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on January 20, 2011, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: Scotty on January 20, 2011, 06:55:31 PM
Recent high resolution mapping of deep-sea topography shows clearly that there's a hole in the bottom of the sea.

Duhh, it's where the Ceadeus from Monster Hunter Tri lives. Obviously.

Why do you have to taunt me with these? QQ

I'm stuck waiting on MH:Portable 3 for the PSP as I am too cheap to go out and buy a nintendo wii (well that and I'm saving up for things)

Lingus

It's like a kids song of some sort. You guys don't remember it? But it's made out to be all smart like.

TANK

thanks for spelling it out lingus now i get it