News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Mojang beats big game companies like Nintendo, Obsidian, Valve...

Started by Matty_Richo, April 07, 2011, 05:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

In the March Madness develpoers showdown, Mojang beat out heaps of big name companies to take the first prize. Mojang Knocked out companies such as Nintendo, Valve, Namco and Obsidian. Others that did well include: Bioware, Bethesda, Capcom and Blizzard whereas other Indie companies did not fair so well, Rovio (Angry Birds) got knocked out in the first round to Square Enix and Team Meat (Super Meat Boy) losing out to Blizzard in round one.

Here is a the official bracket http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/5

ARTgames

Wrong section for this but its not a big deal. I'm not sure what exactly what they won and how they did it (I dont know what March Madness develpoers showdown is, so i don't know who picked the winners and for what reasons) but its still nice to see Mojang win even if they have the wrong logo color in the tournament pic.

tehrozzy

Quote from: ARTgames on April 07, 2011, 08:12:08 AM
Wrong section for this but its not a big deal. I'm not sure what exactly what they won and how they did it (I dont know what March Madness develpoers showdown is, so i don't know who picked the winners and for what reasons) but its still nice to see Mojang win even if they have the wrong logo color in the tournament pic.
No, thats the right colour. its the new logo since they had a proper development team.

Chaos

Quote from: Matty_Richo on April 07, 2011, 05:26:17 AM
In the March Madness develpoers showdown, Mojang beat out heaps of big name companies to take the first prize. Mojang Knocked out companies such as Nintendo, Valve, Namco and Obsidian. Others that did well include: Bioware, Bethesda, Capcom and Blizzard whereas other Indie companies did not fair so well, Rovio (Angry Birds) got knocked out in the first round to Square Enix and Team Meat (Super Meat Boy) losing out to Blizzard in round one.

Here is a the official bracket http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/5

Well, yeah, when those indie devs got pitted up against Blizzard and Square in round 1, I'm not surprised they didn't get any farther.  It pretty much boils down to a popularity contest, and let's face it, Mojang and Minecraft are the buzz in the gaming world these days.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

EpicPhailure

Essentially, the staff of Escapist choose 64 notable developers, and then people vote on who's the best of the year. Blizzard and Valve do well consistently, only upsetted by the renegade up and coming developer (like Mojang this year, Zynga got into the semi finals last year).

And it's March Mayhem :P March Madness is the college basketball tournament.

T-Rok

Quote from: EpicPhailure on April 07, 2011, 01:37:11 PM

Essentially, the staff of Escapist choose 64 notable developers, and then people vote on who's the best of the year. Blizzard and Valve do well consistently, only upsetted by the renegade up and coming developer (like Mojang this year, Zynga got into the semi finals last year).

Zynga sucks. That is all I have to say to that. As for me, I vote for Blizzard in every competition they are in. I have since the days of Warcraft 2. They are plain and simply the best game producers. You can see the work they put into their stuff year after year after year and they never fail to impress.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: T-Rok on April 07, 2011, 01:47:35 PM

Zynga sucks. That is all I have to say to that. As for me, I vote for Blizzard in every competition they are in. I have since the days of Warcraft 2. They are plain and simply the best game producers. You can see the work they put into their stuff year after year after year and they never fail to impress.
Yeah, they really just went on Facebook and used their huge playerbase to rack up repeat votes (since you can vote with an Escapist account AND a Facebook account).

Lingus

Except for release dates. They pretty consistently fail with release dates.

Chaos

Quote from: Lingus on April 07, 2011, 02:43:21 PM

I would much rather a game be delayed and be excellent than it to be rushed out and be utter tripe.  See EA Games.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Lingus

Totally agree. That would be my only complaint with Blizzard. Everything else is awesome.

krele

Surprisingly, you didn't hear about the DotA incident? Blizzard is suing Valve because of DotA 2... Many Valve fanboys now 'hate' blizzard, while in my eyes blizzard is absolutely right about DotA 'author rights'... Google it if you're interested, it's being debated as we post...

T-Rok

Quote from: Chaos on April 07, 2011, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: Lingus on April 07, 2011, 02:43:21 PM

I would much rather a game be delayed and be excellent than it to be rushed out and be utter tripe.  See EA Games.
*Insert reference to Duke Nukem: Forever*

@Krele: While it is true that Blizzard does keep ownership of the map as stated in their ToS for custom map making, I think... actually no, thats all I have to say. lol

ARTgames

Quote from: YayForLife on April 07, 2011, 08:41:37 AM
No, thats the right colour. its the new logo since they had a proper development team.
Yeah your right. For some reason I got the logo color backwards.

EpicPhailure

Is Blizzard suing because of the name, or the concept? Because if Valve could be sued for the concept, Blizzard could be making cash from every other commercial moba.

T-Rok

Quote from: EpicPhailure on April 07, 2011, 04:03:58 PM
Is Blizzard suing because of the name, or the concept? Because if Valve could be sued for the concept, Blizzard could be making cash from every other commercial moba.
You cannot sue for a game genre. Or as you put it, a concept (however you can sue over a concept). They are suing due to the fact DotA2 is pretty much a direct rip of DotA with enhancements and other improvements. I think its rediculous. Because I really really was looking forward to this game. I mean, I play LoL almost every day. I just like the genre of game.