News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

RIFT

Started by Jake, May 10, 2011, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Hey guys, I've been looking to jump into an MMO lately, but I haven't seen any that have caught my interest... until RIFT came out. It looks pretty awesome, and has gotten some pretty good reviews. Just recently, they came out with a 7 day trial, and I was wondering if any of ya wanted to try it out with me.

EDIT: Meh, thought I was in the Video Games sub-forum. Oops... If someone wants to move this for me, I'd be much obliged.

JoEL

Finally they came out with the trial, I thought they would of had that out when it was released. I didn't really want to buy it untill I tried it because of it being a "WoW clone". Looks pretty decent that's for sure, I got a feeling it'll be a Kill X grind though...

T-Rok

I'll go look at the website, I might just join you if it peaks my interest.

EDIT:

*looks at the classes*
"Holy freaking crap thats a lot of classes"

I would love to join you.

Lucifer

Trying it.
Level 11 so far.
Initial impression: Shitty WoW clone.

Come the !@#$ on people, is it really that hard to not make a game play exactly like WoW? I understand maybe they hope to ease players into the game with stuff they're familiar with, but EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME. The layout is the same, the combat is the same, the quests are the same. I found myself in a field killing boars for their meat going "HMM, I WONDER IF I'VE EVER DONE THIS BEFORE, THIS SHIT IS ORIGINAL."

Why is it that every MMO must incorporate the same utterly boring quests; Kill 10 Easy Creatures, Kill 5 Medium Creatures, Collect (blah) from both. Kill Boss Creature. Rinse, Repeat. It's Always the same goddamn thing with different creatures, or even re-sprites or enlargements of the same creature.

I personally don't get it, I don't get what's so fun about this grinding, I don't get why it must be repeated in every MMO. When I played WoW for the first time years back, that kind of thing didn't bother me too much, and perhaps that's their goal here, attracting new players so they can absorb their money. Obviously their goal wasn't to make an original, creative game. It has some neat aspects, the whole soul-swapping idea is quite neat and the randomly appearing rifts are enjoyable, but that's a fudge coating on a pile of shit.

Jake

I'm level 14 so far, and while I understand your criticisms, I don't really mind them. That can probably be attributed to the fact that I haven't played a commercial MMO in a very long time. I've never even played WoW. So for the time being, I'm enjoying myself :P Probably won't play past the trial though.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Lucifer on May 15, 2011, 07:56:52 PM
Trying it.
Level 11 so far.
Initial impression: Shitty WoW clone.

Come the !@#$ on people, is it really that hard to not make a game play exactly like WoW? I understand maybe they hope to ease players into the game with stuff they're familiar with, but EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME. The layout is the same, the combat is the same, the quests are the same. I found myself in a field killing boars for their meat going "HMM, I WONDER IF I'VE EVER DONE THIS BEFORE, THIS SHIT IS ORIGINAL."

Why is it that every MMO must incorporate the same utterly boring quests; Kill 10 Easy Creatures, Kill 5 Medium Creatures, Collect (blah) from both. Kill Boss Creature. Rinse, Repeat. It's Always the same goddamn thing with different creatures, or even re-sprites or enlargements of the same creature.

I personally don't get it, I don't get what's so fun about this grinding, I don't get why it must be repeated in every MMO. When I played WoW for the first time years back, that kind of thing didn't bother me too much, and perhaps that's their goal here, attracting new players so they can absorb their money. Obviously their goal wasn't to make an original, creative game. It has some neat aspects, the whole soul-swapping idea is quite neat and the randomly appearing rifts are enjoyable, but that's a fudge coating on a pile of shit.

Aye - I know what ye are saying. I played it back in beta, and I quite enjoyed it, but that is because I also enjoy WoW.

That is what sucks about the MMO industry - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This method is tried and true, and it brings in subscribers. From what I know, MMO's are very costly to make and to keep running. They are a large risk to a company, so I doubt it is worth it to some companies to try and innovate - because it could flop on them and cost them everything. So unless you are company like Blizzard with an already huge playerbase, I can see why some game companies shy away from innovation and instead just go back to the tired old method.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here