News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Worms! By Mordi

Started by JoshALB, August 06, 2009, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshALB

Why hello there, everyone.  Some of you may have played this before, you might not of.  Either way, I would like to bring to your attention Worms!, by Mordi.

Worms! is a 2D platform shooter, with several weapons and grenades, some custom settings, and even a level editor. There are three settings, Slayer, Capture the Flag, and Oddball. You can play FFA (oddball or slayer) or a team game (with even or uneven teams, on slayer, CTF or oddball). And if you get bored just playing with a bunch of bots, grab a friend and play two player.

Worms! has turned into a community project, for others to mod and contribute to.  The "official" programmers of the project (being Mordi and myself) have stepped down leaving the "final official version" at Version 1.7, which you can download at the site.  It is also appreciated if you register on the forum and continue to support the game!

So, why exactly am I telling you about a "dead" game?  Well, even though we have quit the project, others are currently modifying it and giving their best at keeping the project alive, not only with the game, but others have even began contributing to the site as well which now has a level sharing system and a new forum skin.  Besides, even though we aren't working on it, doesn't mean it's not still a bad ass game!

Links:
Worms! Official Website - Includes download (plus older versions of Worms!), the level sharing system, and link to forum
GMC Topic - Includes large screenshots of Worms!
YoYo Games Page - Featured!  Alternate download.
GMVision Episode 1 - GMVision's Review for Worms!, note it's at the VERY end of the video
GMVision Worms! Review - Instead of watching the 20 minute video above, read the review here
YouTube Video - A match of Worms! recorded by SunFoxes
YouTube Video - A match of Worms! recorded by Jaxxtreme
YouTube Video - A very explosive match of Worms! recorded by Jaxxtreme

More information about Mordi:
Does that name sound familiar?  Check out the Stick Online's credits!  Mordi made Stick Online's menu.  Yes, that wiggly thing that drives us all nuts when we try to login, Mordi is responsible for it!  Mordi no longer makes games, he now composes music primarily.  You can find him at Remix64 showing off all his latest remixes, or you can check out his website here.

Want the Worms! source?
As you might be able to tell, Worms! is not protected from the decompiler.  So we usually just tell people to use that if they want to get their hands on the source codes.  Besides that, I don't have the original 1.7 source codes, and I doubt Mordi does anymore, either.

Edit: Fixed a few typos.

ArtGames

JoshALB

I was thinking about posting it on Stick Hangout under creations (being as I did help in it's development over 4 years).  But a majority of you guys moved over here.  And besides, there isn't a single rule on this site that says this isn't allowed.

I expect your next reply to be something a little more constructive.

EpicPhailure

Does this have an Online feature? Even if we have to use Hamachi or something?

JoshALB

As of this moment, no, there is no online.  I tried my best, and failed.  Seriously, go through the source and you'll see online would be damn near impossible to implement (without a ton of work done to the game itself).  Even with Mordi's help, I wasn't able to get online going properly.  However!  Safor over at the forum (who is "officially" modding Worms!) is working on just that feature, plus a ton of other new features.  Which is my primary reason for raising awareness.

EpicPhailure

Are they making good progress?

JoshALB

Yes, Safor and his crew were making great progress.  Their progress is currently delayed until September, but shortly after their progress picks up again they should be ready for their first release (not likely to contain online, unfortunatelly).

Chaos

So is this essentially a rip-off/clone/whatever of Team17's Worms series, then?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Jake

Kind of, but it plays in real time.

Chaos

Mmmm, I see.  Interesting.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

JoshALB

Yes, the one Worms game I played from Team 17 wasn't as fun as Mordi's version, in my opinion.  I don't like turn-based games.  So while most clones are expected to be a "downgraded" version of the original, I think this one has it's advantages over the originals.  (Namely, real time.)

Chaos

Frankly, I don't see that as an improvement.  I see that as an entirely different style of game genre (one that Liero, Wurmz!, and Gusanos have already done, to be honest...)
Jake says:

EpicPhailure

Doesn't make the game less fun. Frankly, I want to see how online multiplayer is going to work out :P

Soup

That game has never captured my attention.. Why advertise it in our humble community? :p

Souperman!

JoshALB

Quote from: Skillz on August 06, 2009, 07:24:33 PM
That game has never captured my attention.. Why advertise it in our humble community? :p
If that is how you feel, then is it really in your best interest to bump the topic back to the top of the list with your useless post?