News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Activity Experiment and Jabber Chat

Started by Lucifer, July 05, 2011, 11:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

4:00PM - 7:00PM -8GMT
If you're not busy and feel like playing some SO, myself and most others will probably be on around this time. Feel free to use Jabber chat  as explained below to easily contact players around the map!

Simple GMT Converter: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/

One of the main problems with Stick Online activity is one of the aspects that makes it our beloved game, the fact that it's more enjoyable with company. Because of this when someone logs on and types /who, a lonely 1-3 people isn't very encouraging, and they'll generally sign off. I'm all about practical problem solving, and there are a couple ways to go about approaching this one. Communication is deffinitely key here; things like shoutboxes and monster hunting topics are pretty efficient at mustering people. However shoutboxes always seem to be flawed in some way and end up shut down, and hunting topics seem to sink into the second page rather quickly.

My suggestion is pretty simple, a daily time frame. Not a one time event like an RB hunt or tournament, just a designated couple or more hours every day in which people would know that others are likely to be on. I would suggest that we meet at the Arena, then people can gather together at their pleasure, or stay at the Arena for PvP practice. For example say we agree upon 6pm-8pm PST, if available I would log on sometime between those hours and head to the Arena. I'd then find other people there or wait for some to arrive, and decide to stay or where to go from there.

So how about it, anyone up for this expiriment? I'm not saying don't be active the rest of the day, nor am I telling people to be more active in general, this is really just a shout-out to those of you who are like me in that they love this game, but hate playing it alone.

Lets try to find a time frame that suits everyone. Please list whatever hours are best for you, and we'll try to break it down to 1-2, maybe 3 hours. Since it's currently summer and I'm not involved in anything at the moment, I'm mostly free with my time. After noon would probably be best, possibly anywhere from 2:00PM-10:00PM -8 GMT. I'm going to organize the list according to my time to avoid confusing myself, so please post your GMT as well so I can convert it.

-8 GMT Time Frames
Lucifer
  • 2:00PM - 10:00PM

igufed
  • 4:00PM - 9:00PM

darkflash
  • 4:00PM - 6:00PM

Ceroblitz
  • 3:00PM - 12:00AM
    CherryPie
  • 10:00AM - 4:00PM
    crozier
  • 4:00PM - 7:00PM
    Forum
  • 5:00PM - 11:00PM
    Mystery
  • 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Jabber Chat Server

Because we have no shoutbox or any really centralized chat system, to help this idea along Scotty has been awesome enough to set us up with a Jabber (XMPP protocol) chat server. It makes use an extremely simple and easy to use client called Spark, available for download at http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp#spark.

If you'd like to join simply download and install the latest version of Spark from the website linked above.
    Then, start up Spark and register by clicking the Accounts# button.  Input your desired username and password, and the server boobs.servebeer.com, like so.

Once your account is created, sign in and scroll up to actions, then click Join conference room.

From here you can enter any room available or create your own at your pleasure. Thanks a ton Scott, I hope to see you guys in here!

igufed

I'm so glad I came up with this idea. </funny>

Best time for me would be 6pm-11pm GMT-5.
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

T-Rok

My times vary with my work. Sunday is always free for me though. :]

darkflash

Scotty

Since there is no readily available chat client, I set Luci up with a jabber server.  If the host name that I use (boobs.servebeer.com) is an issue with anyone, let me know and I will change it to something a little more family appropriate.  Luci will post details here to detail how to connect to it.

Ceroblitz

Celson

Just downloaded that Spark program. That will be very handy if lots of people use it :o

Lucifer

Edited the topic with a little tutorial on how to get yourself setup on the jabber server, feel free to use it as an unofficial Stick Online chatroom!

Jmac

I was hoping someone would post something like this. Thank you Luci!
As for me: 4-11 p.m. CST

Edit: Just realized you asked for GMT, mine is GMT-5, so 2-9 p.m. where you're at.

CherryPie

Scotty

As long as the server remains up and running (i.e. doesn't overheat, etc...), the jabber server will remain up.  Luci, might I recommend showing them how to join a conference room?

darkflash

After you log in just go to the actions tab and click start a conference then click Stick-online for the main or if Your playing with your friend and you want private one I think you can make your own don't know how that works but ya just join the main one to chat hope this helped, Thanks

Yankyal

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

crozier

Not the most active of people, but 4:00 PM- 7:00 PM

Edit: in -7GMT, Mountain Time.

Lucifer

Well, I'd wait for more input but it's pretty clear when the majority of people can play. This has actually been quite helpful, we've managed to pinpoint Stick Online's most active period, from around 4:00PM - 7:00PM -7GMT. I'll try to hop on between then every day, poke me on Jabber chat to find me!