News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

'Failed to initialize drawing surfaces.'

Started by Mystery, April 16, 2010, 07:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystery

All right, so after a technical difficulty(which is resolved, but I still have no idea what caused it) kept me from playing SO during the Easter event, my computer decided to be even more of an jerk and prevent me from running any GM games completely(and several non-GM games and applications as well). I've tried toggling the graphics settings constantly, nothing's working. Even a restart didn't help. This is the error message that pops up:

'Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution.'

I do not have a graphics card(eheh, how cheap of me), but I have never had an issue like this before.

Any solutions? (That don't involve buying a graphic card due to low funds?)
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Meiun

Don't have a graphics card? You wouldn't even be able to see anything on your monitor if that was the case. You must just be running on your computers integrated chip? That error message typically means that you don't have enough video memory in your graphics card to load the game, or perhaps that you don't have your graphics card drivers installed (even for your integrated chip).

Mystery

Quote from: xgamer on April 16, 2010, 08:08:17 PM
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/lofiversion/index.php/t378303.html This might help.
Actually, already checked that out. Hardware acceleration is already at full.

Quote from: Meiun on April 16, 2010, 08:06:03 PM
Don't have a graphics card? You wouldn't even be able to see anything on your monitor if that was the case. You must just be running on your computers integrated chip?
Bingo.

That error message typically means that you don't have enough video memory in your graphics card to load the game, or perhaps that you don't have your graphics card drivers installed (even for your integrated chip).
According to DirectX, the computer is running on the generic video driver and I need to install the one provided by the manufacturer. I did a bit of searching and apparently, I need to install software for the Video Controller(which is almost certainly the issue). But it's not anywhere on my computer.

xgamer

Quote from: Mystery on April 16, 2010, 08:21:07 PM

Don't have a graphics card? You wouldn't even be able to see anything on your monitor if that was the case. You must just be running on your computers integrated chip?
Bingo.

That error message typically means that you don't have enough video memory in your graphics card to load the game, or perhaps that you don't have your graphics card drivers installed (even for your integrated chip).
According to DirectX, the computer is running on the generic video driver and I need to install the one provided by the manufacturer. I did a bit of searching and apparently, I need to install software for the Video Controller(which is almost certainly the issue). But it's not anywhere on my computer.
But I don't understand how it could be working fine the other day and now its not working.
You deffinaly did not lose any programs :l

Mystery

Quote from: xgamer on April 16, 2010, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: Mystery on April 16, 2010, 08:21:07 PM

Bingo.

But I don't understand how it could be working fine the other day and now its not working.
You deffinaly did not lose any programs :l
Which is why I'm so confused. I DID delete a few programs yesterday which took up space, but nothing deleted had anything to do with this. I'm going to see if there's any way I can reinstall that driver, because that seems to be the main issue.

Seifer

Google up the driver you require and download it.

Mystery

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 09:20:45 PM
Google up the driver you require and download it.
I did that a while ago and found several sites with the driver I need[Video Controller (VGA Compatible) 7.1.8.4]. The only problem is, I can't get the damn thing to download. I can get to the actual screen where it says it's downloading, but it never downloads(for some unfathomable reason), which is annoying as heck. I'm so annoyed now that I'm honestly thinking about just running a System Recovery, even if it'll take too long.

Seifer

Can you not download anything at all, or just these drivers?

Mystery

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 09:44:37 PM
Just the drivers, apparently. I don't know why not, but it seems to be stuck.

xgamer

Quote from: Mystery on April 16, 2010, 10:16:40 PM
Well if you can't find anything on the internet you could always go to you're local BestBuy and ask them..even tho they might ask for money..

Seifer

Find a different site to download the drivers. A download is a download is a download, no matter what you are downloading, the site you are trying must be messed.

xgamer

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 10:25:20 PM

Find a different site to download the drivers. A download is a download is a download, no matter what you are downloading, the site you are trying must be messed.
"did that a while ago and found several sites with the driver I need[Video Controller (VGA Compatible) 7.1.8.4]. The only problem is, I can't get the damn thing to download"

I don't think thats the problem.
I don't think all those sites were messed up.

Seifer

Quote from: xgamer on April 16, 2010, 10:28:38 PM

"did that a while ago and found several sites with the driver I need[Video Controller (VGA Compatible) 7.1.8.4]. The only problem is, I can't get the damn thing to download"

Why is it that he can only NOT download one specific file? Seems odd, I believe it is an error on his part.

Mystery

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 10:44:11 PM
Quote from: xgamer on April 16, 2010, 10:28:38 PM

Why is it that he can only NOT download one specific file? Seems odd, I believe it is an error on his part.
I honestly have no clue, because the file doesn't download at all, but other download do easily. The screen SAYS it's downloading, but it never does, and all the backups either take too much time or are broken links.