News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkflash

CherryPie

This is.. just what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm only talking about the screenshots. The amount of features you are planning to ad/adding right now however is damn impressive.

Rewriting parts of the XNA framework only because you think there is room for improvement?
You really want to create one hell of a quality game!

Like I've said before, I created a 2d sidescroller mmo like SO myself with XNA and know what you are talking, but I would've never even thought of rewriting base code of the given framework, instead I was just reusing existing snippets for the acceleration engine/camera etc. With your amount of knowledge and the will to spend lots of hours in this to round even over the slightest edge, I am really really looking forward to the outcome.

I just hope you are getting someone for the leveldesigning who knows what he's doing. The randomly generated areas in minecraft and terraria are what keeps me thinking that their designers aren't creative at all (despite what anyone else is saying). I wish for SOv3 that an amazing and believable world is being created and not just some random grass, desert, fire & ice levels which may look very good but aren't connected in a believable way.

Thanks for the update & keep it up :)

foG

I'm a person who hates changes and I have never been a friend of SO being shut down and creating a new SO from scratch but after seeing this sneak peak I really start being excited as hell. I see there's great progress going and I'm looking forward to start playing it. Well done and keep going Meiun and others!

Oh btw, didn't venuse resprite the RB into SOv3 style once? It looked awesome, I can't find the link though.

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on June 30, 2011, 02:14:09 AMBut I am certainly not just going to eat sleep and work on the game.
Seriously Meiun? Eating and sleeping? Get back to work!

Hah, but seriously. I know how it feels to focus too much on working and getting burnt out on it. The last thing any of us wants (even though some people might not understand it) is for you to work too hard on SO3. If you did we'd definitely be in danger of never seeing it.

Quote from: CherryPie on June 30, 2011, 07:36:11 AMI just hope you are getting someone for the leveldesigning who knows what he's doing. The randomly generated areas in minecraft and terraria are what keeps me thinking that their designers aren't creative at all (despite what anyone else is saying). I wish for SOv3 that an amazing and believable world is being created and not just some random grass, desert, fire & ice levels which may look very good but aren't connected in a believable way.
Totally agree. It sounds like from the fact that there will be a level editor that there's an endless possibility for level design. I don't doubt that some people in this community can come up with some very interesting areas. I expect there to be immense amounts of complexity and variety in the game world.

The one thing I would say is that if you have a team of people working on creating the individual areas that you should have one person who focuses on the cohesiveness of the world as a whole. Perhaps that one person would map out the world in draft form, even as simple as saying "here there is a desert that has a cave offshooting somewhere and then an oasis at this point and leading to a sea at the very end, etc..."

T-Rok

Quote from: Lingus on June 30, 2011, 01:21:11 PM
Quote from: CherryPie on June 30, 2011, 07:36:11 AMI just hope you are getting someone for the leveldesigning who knows what he's doing. The randomly generated areas in minecraft and terraria are what keeps me thinking that their designers aren't creative at all (despite what anyone else is saying). I wish for SOv3 that an amazing and believable world is being created and not just some random grass, desert, fire & ice levels which may look very good but aren't connected in a believable way.
Totally agree. It sounds like from the fact that there will be a level editor that there's an endless possibility for level design. I don't doubt that some people in this community can come up with some very interesting areas. I expect there to be immense amounts of complexity and variety in the game world.

The one thing I would say is that if you have a team of people working on creating the individual areas that you should have one person who focuses on the cohesiveness of the world as a whole. Perhaps that one person would map out the world in draft form, even as simple as saying "here there is a desert that has a cave offshooting somewhere and then an oasis at this point and leading to a sea at the very end, etc..."

Literally just pictured this in my mind and had an imaginary stick man running around through it. I must say, it was quite a blast. Lol

mikkelet

Looks truely amazing! :)

Few questions:
1. Have you considered any marketing/publishing (if Terraria can sell, so can this;))?
2. Are you introducing any quick-travel method (not that I necessarily want this, but still..)?
3. Is the combat animation based, or will there be projectiles (arrows, bullets, magic missiles)?
3. Will the mysterious newspaper guy return? :P

RainbowDash

Quote from: mikkelet on June 30, 2011, 01:39:41 PM
Now that's a good question! Glad you brought that up.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: RainbowDash on June 30, 2011, 01:50:03 PM
Now that's a good question! Glad you brought that up.

As your father.

Everybody's father.

Freeforall

darkflash

EpicPhailure

Quote from: darkflash on June 30, 2011, 04:14:11 PM
There better be blobs of some sort!

Of the Delicious variety. If you know what I mean.

Mystery

Quote from: EpicPhailure on June 30, 2011, 04:20:06 PM

I know exactly what you mean; this style:

I would actually kinda like to see this in Stick Online, bahaha.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Freeforall

Quote from: Mystery on June 30, 2011, 04:26:04 PM
Quote from: EpicPhailure on June 30, 2011, 04:20:06 PM

I know exactly what you mean; this style:

I would actually kinda like to see this in Stick Online, bahaha.
I'm going to have nightmares :(

Zario777

To re-rail this topic:
1. Have you considered any marketing/publishing (if Terraria can sell, so can this;))?
He said it'd be 400% free so theres no marketing involved. Its welcome to all people around the internet minus trolls and hackers ^_^
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Zario777 on June 30, 2011, 05:48:55 PM
To re-rail this topic:
He said it'd be 400% free so theres no marketing involved. Its welcome to all people around the internet minus trolls and hackers ^_^

Besides, this forum has like, 50 lurkers.