News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Quote from: darkflash on July 23, 2011, 07:22:14 PM
When will this topic be updated with more juicy info D:
When I post in it.
Bam.
This topic just got a whole lot juicier, baby.

darkflash

It's so juicy I can taste the juice! It tastes like trolljuice to me :I

Forum

Officially quitted

RayRay

I'm drinking orange juice. Wait, how did we get off topic?

Anyways, I just did a search on this topic and found that no one has talked about sound effects. Apparently I was just playing Stick Online today, and then we fought a DS. About 4 or 5 people missed the DS and thought we were just fighting normal enemies. I was thinking there would be certain (but quiet) idle sounds for certain enemies, and different sounds for which weapon you use, which enemy is hit, etc. I would rather hear something else other than *thack* *thack* *thack*.

Forum

Quote from: RayRay on July 31, 2011, 08:28:09 PM
I'm drinking orange juice. Wait, how did we get off topic?

Anyways, I just did a search on this topic and found that no one has talked about sound effects. Apparently I was just playing Stick Online today, and then we fought a DS. About 4 or 5 people missed the DS and thought we were just fighting normal enemies. I was thinking there would be certain (but quiet) idle sounds for certain enemies, and different sounds for which weapon you use, which enemy is hit, etc. I would rather hear something else other than *thack* *thack* *thack*.
I agree and maybe SG or other monsters can make growling noises,ect  8)

Officially quitted

krele

Only if those would be 3d noises and sound effects. I'd hate listening to that crap being so loud while I'm miles away from the actual scene.

DR4N3

Wow, this looks terrible.
The graphics are all worked up and look like one those old school RPG's, all pixelated and whatnot.
It lost all of what I loved about stick online, those beatifull, not so worked up graphics, simple yet colourfull and vivid.
I'm sad we're gonna lose that. Still, in terms of general art it looks good, I just don't like that pixelated art. Even Pacman didn't have those.

havok

Quote from: Lucifer on July 30, 2011, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: darkflash on July 23, 2011, 07:22:14 PM
When will this topic be updated with more juicy info D:
When I post in it.
Bam.
This topic just got a whole lot juicier, baby.

off topic but^^^^ :)

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 03, 2011, 05:17:00 AM
The graphics are all worked up and look like one those old school RPG's, all pixelated and whatnot.
It lost all of what I loved about stick online, those beatifull, not so worked up graphics, simple yet colourfull and vivid.
I'm sad we're gonna lose that. Still, in terms of general art it looks good, I just don't like that pixelated art. Even Pacman didn't have those.

Im guessing you like classic games.V2 was maid when he was younger and didn't know as much. Now it will be a way different story :).
But as for the graphics they had too improve, if not he would have just re maid v2 or re maid in a new engine.Beside gamermaker.

11clock

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 03, 2011, 05:17:00 AM

To be honest, I actually agree. I prefer the classic V2 look. However, games shouldn't be judged by their graphics. Everything else about V3 sounds awesome (except for the addition of friction *shudder*).

DR4N3

Quote from: 11clock on August 03, 2011, 09:53:09 AM
To be honest, I actually agree. I prefer the classic V2 look. However, games shouldn't be judged by their graphics. Everything else about V3 sounds awesome (except for the addition of friction *shudder*).
Yes, in fact graphics are what usually matter the least imo, gameplay over everything else.
I'm sure the gameplay is gonna make up for it, Meiun hasn't let us down.

Also, the idea of friction kinda sounds good. Always reminds me of Fancy Pants Adventure, which was a pretty damn good game. Might make the game a little more "skillfull".

11clock

My only major complaint is the addition of friction. I HATE friction so much! Why do I hate it? Well, this picture explains it.

ARTgames

Well we don't know how exactly it will be and may be just a little hint of it. Or it could be everything is ice. Also level designs will also play into how it will effect having that in there. Not saying its every one's cup of tea. Just something to think of also.

DR4N3

Quote from: 11clock on August 03, 2011, 10:02:15 AM
My only major complaint is the addition of friction. I HATE friction so much! Why do I hate it? Well, this picture explains it.

Ahahah! Oh yea, Meat Boy is a great example of the terrors of friction. Let's just hope SO doesn't have THAT much friction.

Meiun

There are definitely a lot of significant changes in V3, there is no doubt about that. With any significant changes there are always going to be some people who either don't like, or are hesitant to accept the new changes. Trust me when I say that each change is definitely for the best and has had a lot of thought put into it. In regards to the graphics, SNES era pixel art is sort of what we were going for in some  ways, although I'd hardly call any of it highly "pixelated," so I'd make sure your browser wasn't distorting them if they honestly are looking like that :o. You also need to consider that these graphics are now done via tiles, which offers a great deal more power and organization in world design. But for those of you who still feel too unfamiliar towards them, keep in mind that there are still a number of graphical elements missing in the screens you've seen, such as parallax backgrounds, as well as trees and foliage (both of which should add at least a slightly more familiar feel and style to things).

As for the new physics, I wouldn't worry too much. For the most part, they are utilized pretty reasonably so far. When walking, they are hardly noticeable at all, and even when running for most people, it is more to add a nice feel to things than to add an extreme challenge. It does change up the mechanics some for sure, but "skidding into pits" and things like that would only typically happen if you were either going very fast or being very careless (there may of course end up being some exceptions, but that's at least how things are in the typical situation). My goal with this is definitely not to frustrate, but rather to make the game more enjoyable and to allow for some new and improved platformer gameplay elements. The new game really does have a much smoother and better feel to the movement though, it's almost painful for me going back to V2 after testing V3 stuff for any extended period honestly, and I'm sure some of the other people who have helped me test could vouch for that (and not painful in the sense that it's hard to adjust between the two, but rather that V2 feels much crappier).