News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR4N3

Oh no, I didn't mean TOO pixelated, but there IS definitly something missing. I do enjoy the new stick design. They look plump, like they've been noming on some good stuff, Valhalla style, which makes it THAT much wierder to be walking on a squareish, pixelish world. I do know tiles make things much more organized, but I'm not really into organization. You'd have to look at my room to understand that. Meh, I can ***** and moan about it, but in the end I'm surely gonna play and enjoy the game I'm sure. Addition of friction ( it rhymes, I know ) makes it more of a platformer game, which I simply love. Actually, it's what pulled me to the game in the first place, that platformy style of play. Also, idk if you're taking ideas, or if yo already though about this and going to implement it into the game, is making the game a little more "precise". By this I mean make it possible to "skill" my way through hordes of enemies, killing them without taking damage ( which is impossible in V2, since the enemies attack unpredictably and theire attacks have wierd hitboxes ), to be possible to apply tactics to boss and clan fights, etc. Maybe not just "attack, move to the enemy's back, attack, lather rinse repeat" but something slightly harder, like them having more than 1 attack and giving you just a second for you to read which one they're gonna use before unleashing hell on you. Maybe that's just me, I enjoy the challenge.

sly 3 4 me

Maybe it's because of the wide variety of colours in comparison to version 2. Version 3 has a more shaded look for the landscape, buildings, weapons, hats, pretty much everything. That's probably the reason why it looks so strange in comparison to the cartoonish design of version 2.

Meiun

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 03, 2011, 02:03:36 PM
By this I mean make it possible to "skill" my way through hordes of enemies, killing them without taking damage ( which is impossible in V2, since the enemies attack unpredictably and theire attacks have wierd hitboxes ), to be possible to apply tactics to boss and clan fights, etc. Maybe not just "attack, move to the enemy's back, attack, lather rinse repeat" but something slightly harder, like them having more than 1 attack and giving you just a second for you to read which one they're gonna use before unleashing hell on you. Maybe that's just me, I enjoy the challenge.
This is something that I have been very interested in as well :)

DR4N3

Quote from: Meiun on August 03, 2011, 02:38:27 PM
This is something that I have been very interested in as well :)
That just gave me little butterflies in my stomach :3

Meiun

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 03, 2011, 02:03:36 PM
Oh no, I didn't mean TOO pixelated, but there IS definitly something missing.
There is a lot missing from those screenshots :P That's why it is still a work in progress. The parallax backgrounds, as well as a number of other foreground based components like tree's and other such things just to name a few (both of which will likely have a slightly more familiar vibe).

DR4N3

Quote from: Meiun on August 03, 2011, 02:41:44 PM
There is a lot missing from those screenshots :P That's why it is still a work in progress. The parallax backgrounds, as well as a number of other foreground based components like tree's and other such things just to name a few (both of which will likely have a slightly more familiar vibe).
Now that you mention it, trees are something that will definitly give it that vivid look. That green vibrant tree colors are sure to make it look a little less "shaded" as sly 3 4 me said. Now I'm just looking forward to the game :D

11clock

I'm really hoping there will be a change in the drop rates. SOV2's drop system is basically just a bunch of luck. I'd rather it be like doing some big dungeon raid or something to get powerful items rather than sitting there grinding monsters hoping the next one has what you're looking for. A big and epic quest for an awesome item is much more satisfying in my opinion.

Lingus

Honestly, the only difference between SO and any other MMO is the quantity of total items available. If you're looking for top tier equipment in a commercial MMO, you're grinding as much or more than you are in SO. The difference is that along the way you end up getting a ton of mid to high range equipment that is also usefull that you may not have been particularly looking for. In SO there just isn't the quantity of items to allow for that. I'm sure with SO3 there could be... whether Meiun wants to go for that or not is up to him. I feel like Meiun is going to go for a much less item-centric gaming experience.

That said, I agree with the epic dungeon adventure quest aspect of your post. I like that to a certain extent. I still want the ability to hop in and play for 5 minutes while feeling like I've gained 5 minutes of progress. Unlike most MMOs where you either spend 6+ hours in one sitting or you've wasted your time.

Meiun

I totally agree that a grind-fest is not a whole lot of fun, and certainly would like to try and make for alternative methods for acquiring some of the things you want. I have a few ideas in mind of how this could potentially be accomplished in V3, but hunting monsters is still going to play a part for a number of things of course, as is random drops. Quests, dungeons, and other similar means of getting high end loot is great, but the problem with relying on the traditional approach to them too much is that if everyone has a guaranteed method of getting the same thing, then that item is no longer that big a deal, nor will it really give you as much of a feeling of uniqueness or success over your peers. So simply having too many things where anyone can just "do this, and get that" can offer some issues of it's own in some cases, but that's not to say there isn't a place for them, as well as some potential solutions to those issues :)

Lingus also brought up a good point, in that one issue with SO is that there simply weren't enough items in comparison to a lot of other commercial MMO's. Despite this low number of items, I wanted to make sure there were still a number of truly rare items, and that players would typically have some significant stuff to strive for even at high levels. But doing this with a very limited number of items simply means drops being far less common overall. One thing you will notice about SO items that differentiates them from most games though, is that almost every item in SO is entirely unique. There is little to no rehashing of the same item model, graphic, or mechanic over and over and simply slapping a new adjective in front of it. This concept of unique items is something that we are continuing to strive for with the new game.

However, this low quantity of items issue that was present in V2 is something that we are definitely planning on (and to a certain extent have already succeeded at) resolving for V3 :) I am all for having tons of items in the game. I just want to make sure that they are all (for the most part) somewhat unique and add some diversity, as oppose to just being thrown in for the sake of raising the item count. Thus far, we already have completed graphics for over twice as many weapons as was present in V2 (that number is including all the V2 GM weapons too).

EDIT: You also need to remember that the addition of trading will open up a lot of new possibilities for item acquisition. Even if an item were really rare, if you wanted it badly enough, there is always the option of saving up and trying to buy it off someone/trade it for another item.

king

Quote from: Meiun on August 03, 2011, 08:30:49 PM
I totally agree that a grind-fest is not a whole lot of fun, and certainly would like to try and make for alternative methods for acquiring some of the things you want. I have a few ideas in mind of how this could potentially be accomplished in V3, but hunting monsters is still going to play a part for a number of things of course, as is random drops. Quests, dungeons, and other similar means of getting high end loot is great, but the problem with relying on the traditional approach to them too much is that if everyone has a guaranteed method of getting the same thing, then that item is no longer that big a deal, nor will it really give you as much of a feeling of uniqueness or success over your peers. So simply having too many things where anyone can just "do this, and get that" can offer some issues of it's own in some cases, but that's not to say there isn't a place for them, as well as some potential solutions to those issues :)

Lingus also brought up a good point, in that one issue with SO is that there simply weren't enough items in comparison to a lot of other commercial MMO's. Despite this low number of items, I wanted to make sure there were still a number of truly rare items, and that players would typically have some significant stuff to strive for even at high levels. But doing this with a very limited number of items simply means drops being far less common overall. One thing you will notice about SO items that differentiates them from most games though, is that almost every item in SO is entirely unique. There is little to no rehashing of the same item model, graphic, or mechanic over and over and simply slapping a new adjective in front of it. This concept of unique items is something that we are continuing to strive for with the new game.

However, this low quantity of items issue that was present in V2 is something that we are definitely planning on (and to a certain extent have already succeeded at) resolving for V3 :) I am all for having tons of items in the game. I just want to make sure that they are all (for the most part) somewhat unique and add some diversity, as oppose to just being thrown in for the sake of raising the item count. Thus far, we already have completed graphics for over twice as many weapons as was present in V2 (that number is including all the V2 GM weapons too).

EDIT: You also need to remember that the addition of trading will open up a lot of new possibilities for item acquisition. Even if an item were really rare, if you wanted it badly enough, there is always the option of saving up and trying to buy it off someone/trade it for another item.
that EDIT makes me feel happy in side :) btw what is with havok's name...and if anyone asks "what do you meen?" well get havok to show you.

Forum

Wait so theres going to be trading? What about additional storage space/bank space?
Officially quitted

Meiun

Quote from: Forum on August 03, 2011, 10:34:56 PM
Wait so theres going to be trading? What about additional storage space/bank space?
Yes to trading. The other parts will depend on whether I feel it is needed/necessary once it gets a bit further, so possibly.

Quote from: king on August 03, 2011, 08:55:58 PM
that EDIT makes me feel happy in side :) btw what is with havok's name...and if anyone asks "what do you meen?" well get havok to show you.
If you are referring to him being in my newly renamed clan, Seraphym, then that is because he has become a good friend (outside of just the game) with both myself, as well as a couple of the other GM's.

CherryPie

Have you guys started with the basic level design already. The main thing I am wondering about is, if the SOv3 areas will just be connected together after they have been created separately with the level creator tool, or if there is a huge worldmap, similiar to other 2d mmo platformers (e.g. MapleStory) thats being made first and that allows levels to be connected meaningful (maybe also with a (very basic) story)?

DR4N3

Quote from: CherryPie on August 04, 2011, 03:15:32 AM
Have you guys started with the basic level design already. The main thing I am wondering about is, if the SOv3 areas will just be connected together after they have been created separately with the level creator tool, or if there is a huge worldmap, similiar to other 2d mmo platformers (e.g. MapleStory) thats being made first and that allows levels to be connected meaningful (maybe also with a (very basic) story)?
Kicking ass isn't a good enough story?

Getting back to the dungeon idea, I think it could be solved like the Barrows in Runescape. You finish it, but you can't be sure that you're getting the item you want. You might get couple other items, meaning you have to do it again. This would probably give the users that feeling of uniqueness I'm sure. Although, I'm more up for grinding if the combat system changes a little. It woud make item hunting more pleasurable imo.

Celson

Quote from: Meiun on August 03, 2011, 10:56:21 PM
Quote from: king on August 03, 2011, 08:55:58 PM
If you are referring to him being in my newly renamed clan, Seraphym, then that is because he has become a good friend (outside of just the game) with both myself, as well as a couple of the other GM's.

I don't like the fact that you've let a stick online player into your clan because he is a friend. He's still a regular player but he's got that fancy clan title under his name. Give a child a lolly and the other kids are sure to protest.

But hey you do what you want.. It's your game. Just saying I don't like you making a distinction between Havok and other players because of your personal friendship with him.