News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDemonX

Quote from: TANK on January 28, 2012, 01:30:16 PM
i would buy this if i could, i know your trying to be a nice guy by making this free, but man you could make some serious money out of this. I say you try selling it man you could really make a mark and make alot of money. There are plenty of people into solid platform mmorpgs and i think stickonline would cater to the younger and to the older nerdier generation like us.
People pay 5$ a month for runescape, man i'd pay a one time fee of 10-15$ or even 10$ yearly. it
s not much but it's something anyone can afford.

CherryPie

Quote from: BlackDemonX on January 28, 2012, 04:24:13 PM
Quote from: TANK on January 28, 2012, 01:30:16 PM
i would buy this if i could, i know your trying to be a nice guy by making this free, but man you could make some serious money out of this. I say you try selling it man you could really make a mark and make alot of money. There are plenty of people into solid platform mmorpgs and i think stickonline would cater to the younger and to the older nerdier generation like us.
People pay 5$ a month for runescape, man i'd pay a one time fee of 10-15$ or even 10$ yearly. it
s not much but it's something anyone can afford.

Most f2p games showed that this isn't a clever decision for indie games. While you would pay $10, most wouldn't, since they do not know what to expect (you have to play SO for a while, to know why it is such a good game :P).

Therefor the only real way to make a good profit would be F2P base with the optional possibility to buy some items for real money. (whether they do effect only the style or also the gameplay is up to the meiun ofc.)

RayRay

Honestly I don't think this game should be charging even a cent. Most people really do not want to pay for a specific weapon in the game that may be a lot better than the other weapons. That's just going to raise the view that the rich shall be the strong.
Some people are left to pay for their own stuff and they don't have any money. That's why I think this game shouldn't have a buy to play price. Also a membership fee is outright annoying.

Meiun's view in a nutshell.

TANK

im talking like a one time fee price, i mean look at other games on the gmc forums like true valhallas myriad online, he has people donating 100+ dollars and the thing isnt even out yet all he has is basic game sprites and 3 enemies to fight in the alpha. This has its own server centered around the game and already has nice graphics and a strong community. You should make like a short video of you fighting a rock demon and maybe post it on reddit or something to get some publicity. You dont have to be greedy but get some money atleast before someone finds this and steals your idea like that one german kid already tried to do so with the so2 characters and items.

I also agree that paying money for items is stupid and should not be in any game, but plenty of side scroller lovers would pay just from seeing the info in this thread. I know i would.

RayRay

Quote from: TANK on January 28, 2012, 05:20:26 PM
im talking like a one time fee price, i mean look at other games on the gmc forums like true valhallas myriad online, he has people donating 100+ dollars and the thing isnt even out yet all he has is basic game sprites and 3 enemies to fight in the alpha. This has its own server centered around the game and already has nice graphics and a strong community. You should make like a short video of you fighting a rock demon and maybe post it on reddit or something to get some publicity. You dont have to be greedy but get some money atleast before someone finds this and steals your idea like that one german kid already tried to do so with the so2 characters and items.

I also agree that paying money for items is stupid and should not be in any game, but plenty of side scroller lovers would pay just from seeing the info in this thread. I know i would.
Donations for your work sounds like a good idea. Makes it actually sound like a donation.

Titan

I think that SO3 should be free to play, and have no items availble for purchase with real currency.
So many people like this game, that they are more than willing to donate, which I'm fairly sure to keep the server running and treat Meiun to a nice dinner every once in awhile.  ;D
Livin' in a lonely world.

Ceroblitz

.. I was thinking about possible cash shop items, but only for fashion/vanity, otherwise useless in terms of actual physical aid or gameplay.

Example: you can buy a scarf for x points, which you can equip, but it does nothing to help you except make you look cooler.

Matty_Richo

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of having to pay to play the game either as that was the main reason I started playing Stick Online, it was a free to play, no strings attatched, MMO.
I also am not a fan of buying in-game items for real money, sure, I'm not super bothered if you can buy an earring for sure stick man that makes him look like a tool and boosts none of his stats.

However, I also don't think it's fair for Meiun to put so much work into something and get nothing back (if he wants something back that is).
My suggestion would be to have ads or something in the starting menu, they wouldn't get in the way of gameplay and I doubt it would bother anyone seeing it for ten seconds while they log in.

Meiun

I'm very flattered that many of you would be willing to pay, but even so it is definitely going to remain free to play. There is the possibility for some sort of cash shop purchases or other micro-transactions, but if we were to do this it would be my number one priority to make sure that players could not just spend money and gain power (or any other real advantages) over other players that do not pay. Any sort of purchases would be aesthetic, or some other little feature that would just be cool or fun rather than truly advantageous.

Also, I'd probably be pretty strict about the types of things that could be purchased in other ways too. For instance, I likely wouldn't allow for silly things that didn't even fit into the game at all, or that allowed them to make their character totally unrecognizable from his original character. I've known a lot of games that sort of end up becoming a bit stupid from the cash shop items, even when they do a good job at keeping the items fair.

But either way, it's still too early to know for sure if we will have micro-transactions in the first place. There are other ways to make some money too, such as real life merchandise like shirts and such. Money is by no means my priority for the game, but it certainly would be pretty amazing if someday I could develop Stick Online for a living (or at least a partial living).

ARTgames

Quote from: Meiun on January 28, 2012, 11:12:20 PM
But either way, it's still too early to know for sure if we will have micro-transactions in the first place. There are other ways to make some money too, such as real life merchandise like shirts and such.
This, also if your game is ad-supported paying a subscription to remove ads is also nice.

Quote from: Meiun on January 28, 2012, 11:12:20 PM
Money is by no means my priority for the game, but it certainly would be pretty amazing if someday I could develop Stick Online for a living (or at least a partial living).
I like this but one time payments for new accounts is something I personally don't mind. I don't know how other people or you feel about this but I wanted to put it out there.

DarkMagician

Meiun I know you get alot of people bugging you for a release date but could you give a rough one? even it its really off but still sort of gets the range correct, by this I mean 2 months? 8 months? a whole year? Surely you can inteligently estimate how much needs to be done before release?

Meiun

Quote from: DarkMagician on February 02, 2012, 02:57:10 PM
Meiun I know you get alot of people bugging you for a release date but could you give a rough one? even it its really off but still sort of gets the range correct, by this I mean 2 months? 8 months? a whole year? Surely you can inteligently estimate how much needs to be done before release?
I believe I've mentioned this numerous time so far, but the problem is not how much needs to be done before release, but how much free time I will actually have in order to do it. That, and the fact that I am not ready to lock in any set point when I consider it ready. If I were to be able to work on SO every day instead of my job, then I could potentially have it ready in a few months or less. But seeing as that is not the case, and I just have to take what I can get when it comes to time to work on it, I really have nothing solid to base an estimate off of. I know you guys don't like this answer, but I really don't feel comfortable or at all confidant in saying anything more than that yet.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on February 02, 2012, 06:17:08 PM
Quote from: DarkMagician on February 02, 2012, 02:57:10 PM
I believe I've mentioned this numerous time so far, but the problem is not how much needs to be done before release, but how much free time I will actually have in order to do it. That, and the fact that I am not ready to lock in any set point when I consider it ready. If I were to be able to work on SO every day instead of my job, then I could potentially have it ready in a few months or less. But seeing as that is not the case, and I just have to take what I can get when it comes to time to work on it, I really have nothing solid to base an estimate off of. I know you guys don't like this answer, but I really don't feel comfortable or at all confidant in saying anything more than that yet.

This means we should pump more money into the donation pool everyone. Snap to it now. Supplement ALL the income! :D

RayRay

Quote from: T-Rok on February 02, 2012, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: Meiun on February 02, 2012, 06:17:08 PM

This means we should pump more money into the donation pool everyone. Snap to it now. Supplement ALL the income! :D
But isn't the donations directed for the donor server? I don't think Meiun would break his promise a little just to work on SOv3 more.

DivineLegend

If there were ample enough donations, then I'm sure it would work. But I'm assuming that would be thousands of dollars. You have to include utilities, and rent, and food, and gas, and insurance, and school, and food again....