News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sly 3 4 me

Seems pretty awesome to think of in a grand scale kind of way. I don't know much of coding, but to be able to program the movement or attacks of a monster (In this case more than one, as they all act differently?) without actually having a visual  sounds pretty amazing to me. Great job being able to accomplish something even though you're lacking in an area which I would think is pretty important and vital to even start.

thekolla

Quote from: Meiun on September 08, 2012, 01:17:06 PM

Also, each and every weapon has its own aerial attack animation :)

Stay tuned and we may give you a sneak peak of one or two of the new weapons.

I love ceroblitz's animations so I'm very happy that he is on the team, as I'm sure everyone else is.

I'm sure everyone would LOVE to see a sneak peak :).

DarkBlade325

Hey Meiun, quick question purely from a gameplay standing. Don't have to answer it though, obviously.

I'm curious about the mid-air attacks, how exactly are those going to work? Is your character going to be stalled in mid air similar to DMC-style of aerial attacks, or do you fall as you're doing the attack?

I figured if you fell during aerial attacks, people would be using the landing once the hitbox did it's round to cancel the rest of the animation and move around quicker. While it sounds cool to me, I think it'd be hard to adapt to. It'd be cool though- to see people going around like that  :P

Just curious on how the aerial attack physics would be working.

Meiun

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on September 08, 2012, 07:31:56 PM
Hey Meiun, quick question purely from a gameplay standing. Don't have to answer it though, obviously.

I'm curious about the mid-air attacks, how exactly are those going to work? Is your character going to be stalled in mid air similar to DMC-style of aerial attacks, or do you fall as you're doing the attack?

I figured if you fell during aerial attacks, people would be using the landing once the hitbox did it's round to cancel the rest of the animation and move around quicker. While it sounds cool to me, I think it'd be hard to adapt to. It'd be cool though- to see people going around like that  :P

My current solution to this is that you will only be able to initiate the air attack during a select window of your jump. So you can't start the attack off right before you are about to hit the ground. There will of course even then be many situations where you could still land before the animation is over, and for that I am currently hoping to have some sort of stumble or otherwise failed landing animation for when you touch the ground before completing your attack. I always wanted players to not have to be limited to only attacking while on the ground, it opens up for a lot of new combat situations. However, aerial attacks are not necessarily meant to be the same caliber sort of thing as their ground counterparts in most cases. In other words, it wont typically be very effective to just be bouncing all over the place using air attacks as a substitute for ground ones.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on September 08, 2012, 11:18:25 PM
Quote from: DarkBlade325 on September 08, 2012, 07:31:56 PM

My current solution to this is that you will only be able to initiate the air attack during a select window of your jump. So you can't start the attack off right before you are about to hit the ground. There will of course even then be many situations where you could still land before the animation is over, and for that I am currently hoping to have some sort of stumble or otherwise failed landing animation for when you touch the ground before completing your attack. I always wanted players to not have to be limited to only attacking while on the ground, it opens up for a lot of new combat situations. However, aerial attacks are not necessarily meant to be the same caliber sort of thing as their ground counterparts in most cases. In other words, it wont typically be very effective to just be bouncing all over the place using air attacks as a substitute for ground ones.

A stumble for a poorly done attack.. That actually sounds really cool. That would actually require good timing and skill to pull off rather than button mashing. I like it. I like it a lot.

sly 3 4 me

Sounds awesome, sort of if real physics were going into play on the attack and landing. The attack would be less powerful in terms of aerial combat and be harder to land (Although not too hard with a bit of practice I hope?). I wish I could do some crazy aerial stunts in real life, yet gravity holds me down and you can't raise your agility stat in real life (Imagine if you could actually jump 20-30 feet by simply bending your knees and jumping  ;D).

Meiun

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on September 09, 2012, 12:53:31 AM
Sounds awesome, sort of if real physics were going into play on the attack and landing. The attack would be less powerful in terms of aerial combat and be harder to land (Although not too hard with a bit of practice I hope?). I wish I could do some crazy aerial stunts in real life, yet gravity holds me down and you can't raise your agility stat in real life (Imagine if you could actually jump 20-30 feet by simply being your knees and jumping.  ;D)
The idea is intended more as a way to keep people from trying to miss-use or exploit the aerial attacks rather than a way of making to overly difficult to perform. The idea is that it shouldn't be difficult to avoid any stumble assuming your doing it at all properly.

sly 3 4 me

Yeah, I supposed I phrased the two together in a way that made them both sound in a negative manner. After I re-read my sentence I suppose I could have left out the parenthesis part and assumed it was a given on the overall time of the aerial attack.

Celson

Since we're on the topic of jumping and aerial attacks. I would like to see better control with jumps in V3. As it is in V2, having 25+ agility can actually work against you in pvp because you jump too high and it takes a long time to land. This can be frustrating if you're only trying to jump on a platform that is slightly higher than your normal jump. So in a way it makes agility less effective and might be part of the reason why most people have low agility in comparison to strength and vitality.

I was thinking maybe when you duck jump you have to hold the jump button and your stick man will keep elevating until he lets go of the button or reaches his max jump height.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Celson on September 09, 2012, 02:06:28 AM
Since we're on the topic of jumping and aerial attacks. I would like to see better control with jumps in V3. As it is in V2, having 25+ agility can actually work against you in pvp because you jump too high and it takes a long time to land. This can be frustrating if you're only trying to jump on a platform that is slightly higher than your normal jump. So in a way it makes agility less effective and might be part of the reason why most people have low agility in comparison to strength and vitality.

I was thinking maybe when you duck jump you have to hold the jump button and your stick man will keep elevating until he lets go of the button or reaches his max jump height.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I think this is a very good point and solution to an issue I often find myself having.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

DarkBlade325

Rather good solution to aerial-canceling Meiun, but with that method of having a restricted window, another thought occurred to me:

What if there was a mob on this specific platform height where it would be ideal to just jump up and hit him, but the height of the platform isn't in the attack window for the aerial attack?

It's hard to explain, but I'm thinking I'd be running into situations where I would like to attack a mob on a platform with an aerial attack, but if the platform is positioned in a way where I can't do it in the time frame I'm allowed to.

I don't have my hands on the game yet, so this is just all in theory. But do you think that would be something that could occur often in-game? I can see it being sort of a way to keep players from being able to 'cheese' certain boss fights or something, by forcing them to get onto the platform rather than jumping up and striking below it.

My personal fix for something like that would to only allow aerial attacks to be executed upon ascending, but not when descending. Although that sounds kind of awkward. Again, I don't know how the physics are going to turn out.

Lucifer

I believe I've said it before but congratulations Cero! I look forward to beating you down with your own creations, ;).

@Aerial Attacks, intriguing! That's going to have a massive effect on PvP as we knew it, I look forward to seeing how it works out.

KaptainKohl

I love the idea of Aerial attacks because it adds more game play depth into the game, allowing you to attack in multiple ways.

Here is an idea that occurred to me after i read all these posts:
With this idea of aerial  i was thinking that maybe there should be a mob, or some mobs, where it is better to strike them in the air where they have a weak spot, or a spot where you can only hit them.  This would make it so you have to make precise jumps and attacks in order to land a hit on a mob. Thus making Some mobs or bosses hard to kill adding more depth and skill involved than just walking behind them and hitting them.

I also cant wait to see what Ceroblitz had made for SO3 because i know he is really good at spriteing.

crozier

Does that mean skill>build>gear in pvp? Sweet...

Quick question: did Delicious leave the SO3 graphics crew?

Meiun

Quote from: crozier on September 09, 2012, 07:41:12 PM
Does that mean skill>build>gear in pvp? Sweet...

Quick question: did Delicious leave the SO3 graphics crew?
I don't know exactly how i'd compare build/gear. But i'd certainly like to think that skill plays a more important role than it does in your average MMO.

Delicious has not really been an active member of the team for quite a while now. I'm not sure what the future will hold in regards to his involvement, but for now that is how it has been.