News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Dimensions

Started by EpicPhailure, July 10, 2009, 01:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicPhailure

Why are players/monsters sometime behind/overlapping others? And monsters/players usually attack the one behind. So...what?

ARTgames

you answered yourself.
"So...what"

EpicPhailure

But how does it work?

ARTgames

Quote from: Epicphail on July 10, 2009, 01:42:38 PM
But how does it work?

ask meiun. he has the best understanding of such things. all i know is that i dont like it how it works now. I think it should be the monster closest to you.

Danimal

From experiance playing, it's the monster on the behind layer that gets hit, and you can use knockback to put the monster on the behind layer. For example, i've found fighting a DS with loads of skeles to be annoying, but hitting the DS with a hammer, sets it to the back layer. Meaning it gets all my hits.

ARTgames

Quote from: Danimal on July 10, 2009, 01:55:59 PM
From experiance playing, it's the monster on the behind layer that gets hit, and you can use knockback to put the monster on the behind layer. For example, i've found fighting a DS with loads of skeles to be annoying, but hitting the DS with a hammer, sets it to the back layer. Meaning it gets all my hits.

So if we hit the boss with a hammer its the first hit for all the monster that were there before?

Danimal

Quote from: ARTgames on July 10, 2009, 02:12:49 PM

So if we hit the boss with a hammer its the first hit for all the monster that were there before?
Yeah lol

niwXOR

Quote from: Danimal on July 10, 2009, 02:19:06 PM

Yeah lol

Well i did not know that. Why did no one tell me! Does it also work for players in pvp?

Lingus

Unless your swing is closer to hitting another monster I believe. But yea, if your swing is close to hitting 2 or more monsters, it will hit the monster on the furthest back layer... I'm pretty sure.

JoEL

It's depth.

And by the looks of it, every object in this game uses this method, for example, when you're at the temple there are 2 steps (3 counting the bottom floor) if 3 players were to stand on each one separately, each players depth will be in order (the bottom being in front and the top being in the back. Same for when you jump, your depth depends on your Y axis.

And in General, the monster/player with the lowest depth is hit first (meaning which one is draw first on the screen, which makes it look like it is behind)

EpicPhailure

I got lost at the Y-Axis thing.

I know that the bottom layer is hit first after some testing to see if GIS could tank damage for me, but I'm confused on WHY it shifts. At the right pillar, I'm always on the top layer. However, when we go down to the skeles, I'm on the bottom, making GIS useless in tanking the damage.

ARTgames

its quit simple actually. its over complicated.

JoEL

Quote from: Epicphail on July 11, 2009, 12:41:27 AM
I got lost at the Y-Axis thing.

I know that the bottom layer is hit first after some testing to see if GIS could tank damage for me, but I'm confused on WHY it shifts. At the right pillar, I'm always on the top layer. However, when we go down to the skeles, I'm on the bottom, making GIS useless in tanking the damage.

You're depth, is basically you're unique order of being drawn on the screen, only one thing can be drawn at the same time, so if there is two objects with the same depth, it picks the one that was created first.

Now when you jump, you're Y-Axis decreases because you're moving vertically up, which reduces you're depth which means you're going to be drawn earlier, which means you will be behind the person with a smaller Y-axis.

It truly is hard to explain it to someone who hasn't got any knowledge in programming.

EpicPhailure

Well, I understand part of it, so that's enough :D Thanks anyway.