News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Question - Losing drops offscreen...

Started by Mr Pwnage, July 13, 2009, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

So...I've been wanting an understanding of how this works for sometime...just never bothered to ask...TILL NOW!

So, a boss monster spawns, and you get a bunch of hits on it, and when it dies you always get gold, and the chance at an item. Right, we got that. Now time for a hypothetical: So, let's say a DS spawned at the wall...you get a bunch of hits on it, but some noob drags it very far left of the wall while you are healing on the wall. The noob commits suicide once the DS is very far away from the wall somehow, and than the DS gets wrecked by a mass swarm of lvl 100s maxed out on str with slashers, and dies. One of these maxed-out players runs to the wall to tell you the news so you can go get your drop, you run to the location where the DS died, and nothing is there....dun, dun, duuuuuuuun.

Why did this happen? Because aparently when a monster is a certain distance out of your view, you lose all your hits on it. I really didn't care about this before, but now with the sand golumn you definately need distance from it to heal, too much will cause you to lose your drops though.

So, my question is exactly how far away does a monster have to be from you to lose your hits/drops on/from it?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Dragx_Rage

Great question, I would love an answer for it! Sorry I can't help you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Osh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ARTgames

Talked to meiun about this on msn. he says about 2 screen lengths is the max you should go away form a monster.

also i guess im the noob in your post. <_< Come on keeping the sg between the wall and hat stand is much better than keeping it at wall.

Dragx_Rage

Thanks for the answer ART!  :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Osh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CherryPie

i was asking the same and Meiun said that it'd be like 2,5 screen lengths.

Josh

meh i though he said 3 screens but i guees thats me....

mikkelet

IMO, Meiun should modify the SG, so that you only can lose your hits if you die =)

Because I have tried some times, where seriously lag occured. Everything disappeared for a moment and when it returned, I had lost all my hits. ( I know because it happened to me just before the SG died, and I didn't get anything at all @_@)

Dragx_Rage

Quote from: mikkelet on July 14, 2009, 06:49:30 AM
IMO, Meiun should modify the SG, so that you only can lose your hits if you die =)

Because I have tried some times, where seriously lag occured. Everything disappeared for a moment and when it returned, I had lost all my hits. ( I know because it happened to me just before the SG died, and I didn't get anything at all @_@)

I would like this too, as it can be very frustating spending 40 or so minutes killing a SG and getting no reward even if you haven't died.

Lingus

The reason is because in the programing of the game, if any object is farther away than around 2-3 screen lengths, you no longer receive data from it. Essentially, all of your hits on the monster and any objects (such as items) are destroyed/deleted on your end (obviously, the damage the monster has taken still stays). The same thing would happen if you killed the monster and it never went far enough away, you got a drop, and then you ran 2-3 screen lengths away. When you come back, the item and any gold would be gone (at least I'm relatively certain of that).

jonsploder

It's true that they are deactivated. But they should be reactivated easily. Drops are just destroyed over distances. Which I disagree with, it would barely cause any lag at all, even if you intentionally tried to make some coin lag.

CherryPie

May I through in another question? I was collecting drops from the bandits to see how many I could manage to have laying on the ground at the same time.
While doing this, the drop at the flag was gone after I was sitting at the bird nest and came back. So it was only about 1-1,5 screen lengths away and still was deleted.
This changes the whole thing a bit, doesn't it?
So you may not loose your hits if its 2 screen lengths away, but your drops just won't drop.. Probably you would still get the experience, tho.
Regarding our computers get better and better in the meanwhile, SO3 should have a way wider screen range for that case or just delete the drops on ground every 5 mins after they have been dropped.

jonsploder

I doubt this. Not calling you a liar, but that's never happened to me, and just going up high on the temple doesn't destroy my drops. Or did I misread you?

Coolist

The reason this is done is probably for FPS lag AND packet lag.  The fact that some people have a faster computer doesn't mean that the packet is gonna send faster.  Anyway to get on topic I only play on some peoples old accounts but my word for you is:  Suck it up.

ARTgames

Quote from: Coolist on July 15, 2009, 09:04:06 AM
The reason this is done is probably for FPS lag AND packet lag.  The fact that some people have a faster computer doesn't mean that the packet is gonna send faster.  Anyway to get on topic I only play on some peoples old accounts but my word for you is:  Suck it up.

I'm sure you mean bandwidth and not packet lag. keeping track of all those monster takes more bandwidth but does not affect when the message gets to you. that bandwidth is still really small but from meiuns servers that adds up. of course when you hit the max of you bandwith some packets cant go and you'll get lag. if thats whats your talking about.

Your right about the fps. makes sense. the more stuff you haft to keep track of the more you computer has to do.

jonsploder

Quote from: Coolist on July 15, 2009, 09:04:06 AM

As I said before, drops cause hardly any fps lag and if you do try to make some coin lag, it's your problem and can easily be overcome. And I think he means packetlag as in fps going down so the packets are sent offtime. Which again, hardly matters. i've tested having over 500 gold on the ground, and it doesn't reduce my fps at all. Only increases natural lag a slight bit.
That, and the objects can be deactivated when not in view, not destroyed. So it really wouldn't matter much.