News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SOv3 info. 2

Started by NotoriousM4^, May 29, 2011, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Quote from: ARTgames on June 04, 2011, 12:02:27 PM
Just wondering. You said SOv3 will be free, but what about nonprofit? Or do you plain on having something you buy?
That's a good question. I know Meiun isn't against the concept of donation rewards, just look at the donation server! Plus, on a previous forum donors were privy to their own donation board, where together we discussed many possible rewards for donating. I am sure Meiun would not include anything like purchasing equipment, experience gain items, and other such junk like more popular MMOs, but certain benefits are highly likely.

Zario777

Hmm. Premium weps/hats....I know I wouldn't have any
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Bread

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but Meiun, I was just wondering what program allows you to make cell phone games like that?

T-Rok

Quote from: Zario777 on June 04, 2011, 01:15:47 PM

Well what you could do is offer upgrades. I know in League of Legends for instance, people spend tons of money on skins. So you could offer a thing that would allow you to "upgrade" a weapon you have already obtained. Changing how it looks, but no stats boosts. People really do buy into this sort of thing.

Tidus

Quote from: T-Rok on June 04, 2011, 08:13:23 PM

Well what you could do is offer upgrades. I know in League of Legends for instance, people spend tons of money on skins. So you could offer a thing that would allow you to "upgrade" a weapon you have already obtained. Changing how it looks, but no stats boosts. People really do buy into this sort of thing.

I personally would rather see something like this. I dislike games that claim to be free, but as you play it, it becomes more and more evident that in order to keep up and actually be good at it, you have to pay.

T-Rok

Quote from: Tidus on June 04, 2011, 08:16:46 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on June 04, 2011, 08:13:23 PM

I personally would rather see something like this. I dislike games that claim to be free, but as you play it, it becomes more and more evident that in order to keep up and actually be good at it, you have to pay.
*cough*Perfect World International*cough*

Zario777

What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on June 04, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
Quote from: Scotty on June 04, 2011, 01:21:21 AM
EDIT: If you're referring to their main site that is styled to resemble the retro graphics of the game, then I completely agree.  No website should be styled to match the graphics of a retro-styled game, including SO.  Sure, include screenshots in a graceful and elegant manner, but to use the background tiles of a game as the background images of a website?  No.
Yep, that is exactly what I was refering to. I was talking about their main site as opposed to their forum setup and all of that. Design isn't too great like you said, and in general it just seems pretty simplistic (not that I'm any expert on website critique). But that also sort of contributes to my point that they don't really need much else for their game at the point they are at, and nor do I.

Simplicity is key.  Or rather, cleanliness is key (ala iPhone).  Theirs is simple, which is good, but it is not clean.  It is basic, but it's done all wrong.  They are having to use images to incorporate the fonts that they use in game, which is an awful font to use on a site.  They use the background tiles of the game as backgrounds of the website  They use green colors for links.  They have the simplicity, but the layout is all wrong because it is not key.  There are so many better ways to try and incorporate your game into a site to make it relevant, but going to that length makes their efforts look juvenile.  It doesn't look professional, so much so I have half the mind out of sympathy to ask if I can help improve it by scrapping the entire thing and starting over.

Meiun

Quote from: ARTgames on June 04, 2011, 12:02:27 PM
Just wondering. You said SOv3 will be free, but what about nonprofit? Or do you plain on having something you buy?
I plan on the game being free, yes. There may be some donor rewards, but beyond that I am not quite sure yet. I'm not opposed to the idea of cash shop like setup, but if I did it would likely be very limited, offering only items and benifits that were more aimed at being "cool" or "fun" additions rather than ones that actually made you more powerful, or gave you any sort of real game-play advantage over others. But that is something that would likely not be considered too strongly for a ways to come.

Quote from: Bread on June 04, 2011, 07:31:08 PM
Forgive me if this is off-topic, but Meiun, I was just wondering what program allows you to make cell phone games like that?
It was written with the standard Android SDK. I wrote the engine myself.

havok

it depends what phone your are coding it for. Android, Windows,BB(blackberry), and Apple. they all have nice engines somewhere out there you can find.

I can help you find a nice one if you want but first need to know what Phone type.

CherryPie

Quote from: Meiun on June 05, 2011, 12:23:49 PM

That doesn't mean that V3 is written in a Java based framework, does it? You once said that you could even think of SOv3 being ported to Windows Phone, which gives me the feeling you could be using the XNA Framework.
(you don't have to give an answer on this one ofc.)
It's just that I used to create a simple platform online game with XNA myself and am therefore pretty curious what Network Library you are using, if you're developing SOv3 in the same Framework.

Meiun

Quote from: CherryPie on June 05, 2011, 03:22:11 PM

That doesn't mean that V3 is written in a Java based framework, does it? You once said that you could even think of SOv3 being ported to Windows Phone, which gives me the feeling you could be using the XNA Framework.
It's just that I used to create a simple platform online game with XNA myself and am therefore pretty curious what Network Library you are using, if you're developing SOv3 in the same Framework.
Nope, V3 is not Java based. The Android based engine you saw there was pretty much a completely independent project. One of the past iterations I mentioned in an earlier post was being made with a Java based server end, but things have changed a significant amount since then. As for the networking, for pretty much any networking based application I write, I typically stick to using the lower level socket libraries and then design my own networking system around them. You should get your answer to the rest of the question once I release more info in the near future.

havok

Quote from: CherryPie on June 05, 2011, 03:22:11 PM

i would think he would do it in Android personally (if he did or does). Seeing as that's the kind of phone he has. Plus it is growing fast and its so open :P

but Im guessing we need to get back on topic all though this topic is a little off to me lol.

darkflash

Ok from what I'm reading SOv3 is going to be like an ENTIRELY NEW GAME! Like for b&w to SOv2 is was just color more monsters and stuff but SOv2 to v3 is like everything and holy cow might as well call it something different ! This is just what its sounding like to me lol :P soo excited

Meiun

Quote from: darkflash on June 05, 2011, 06:32:25 PM
Ok from what I'm reading SOv3 is going to be like an ENTIRELY NEW GAME! Like for b&w to SOv2 is was just color more monsters and stuff but SOv2 to v3 is like everything and holy cow might as well call it something different ! This is just what its sounding like to me lol :P soo excited
Trust me, it is an entirely new game, built entirely from the ground up. Far more of a new game than the differences between V1 and V2 for sure.