News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SOv3 info. 2

Started by NotoriousM4^, May 29, 2011, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crozier

Not sure if this is true, did Delicious quit the SO team at one point in the last year or so? Has he returned?

And on another note, it really sounds like SO3 has a decent future.

11clock

Will there be in-game music this time?

Jmac

Alright everyone, this is the time when we all stand up and clap for Meiun. I mean seriously, he's used valuable time of his life that he could've been doing something to benefit himself, but he chose to work on this game for us! I just wanna say thanks from all of us as a community for all the hard work you and the various others that have helped make Stick Online possible for all the work you've done. (run-on much? >_<)  :)

Meiun

Quote from: CherryPie on June 06, 2011, 08:11:13 AM
That tree..definitly Delicious's handwriting in there, am I right? ;)
I played Mr. Runner 2 and if Delicious is responsible for the rest of the environment sprites of v3, too, no one will be even slightly disappointed - Lovin' his stuff! :)
Delicious has been involved to a certain extent at different points in time, but he is not currently the teams primary spriter. Also remember that I said that Android version was an independent side project, as well as that certain aspects of V3 have changed throughout its development process. That screenshot is also from over a year ago.

Quote from: 11clock on June 06, 2011, 11:56:24 AM
Will there be in-game music this time?
Possibly at some point. Music isn't really a big concern for me this early on. If I were to add some, I would also want to make sure that it was all made specifically for SO, and was something that truly added to the feel of the game. I wouldn't want to add music simply for the sake of having it. Also, you would of course be able to turn it off if I were to implement it.

jonsploder

Meiun, would you answer more technical questions, or not? For instance, you say that you consider the techniques you used for SO2 to be somewhat caveman... However I thought they were almost perfect, considering Jakethesnake speeks highly of your programming, as in better than himself, and he's released a lot of open source knowledge about MMORPG networking on the GMC... Would you mind telling how you deal with online and lag or is that a bit too under the hood? For instance, would you use direct P2P connections with UDP hole punching, or just the typical TCP client/server with no modifications? I've always been curious as to how SO was so lag-free given how much people spammed the server.

Budenlui

when is SO v3 ready to play?

CherryPie

Quote from: Budenlui on June 08, 2011, 08:19:04 AM
when is SO v3 ready to play?

I will go ahead and suppose you aren't trolling (since you are german like me).  ::)
Meiun wrote a few pages back, that a first open alpha/beta will be released eventually this year and if it will, probably rather at the end.

krele

Quote from: jonsploder on June 08, 2011, 02:41:28 AM
Meiun, would you answer more technical questions, or not? For instance, you say that you consider the techniques you used for SO2 to be somewhat caveman... However I thought they were almost perfect, considering Jakethesnake speeks highly of your programming, as in better than himself, and he's released a lot of open source knowledge about MMORPG networking on the GMC... Would you mind telling how you deal with online and lag or is that a bit too under the hood? For instance, would you use direct P2P connections with UDP hole punching, or just the typical TCP client/server with no modifications? I've always been curious as to how SO was so lag-free given how much people spammed the server.
What is he using?

Common Sense.

Meiun

Quote from: jonsploder on June 08, 2011, 02:41:28 AM
That's a bit more under the hood than I'd like to go into, primarily because I don't want to sit here going into details about code all day. But the general idea is that it uses a client server approach, utilizing both TCP and UDP, and design it to do a lot of motion prediction or "dead reckoning." Essentially you just want to think what is the least amount of information I would need to tell people to let them know where I am, what I'm doing, and (assuming I don't do anything new) where I'm going to be. V2 did in fact do a pretty good job with all of this. As for the peer to peer approach you mention, it is almost never a good idea in my book. Especially when you have anything more than a few people.

jonsploder

Thanks for the reply Meiun. It's actually made me far more confident in my approach, which has been rubbished by a friend.

Krele have some STFU, I evidently wasn't asking you - you're clearly too intelligent.

krele

Quote from: jonsploder on June 09, 2011, 03:34:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Meiun. It's actually made me far more confident in my approach, which has been rubbished by a friend.

Krele have some STFU, I evidently wasn't asking you - you're clearly too intelligent.
Whoa, holy Jesus, what's wrong with you people. So quick on the trigger T_T... Sheesh...

Scotty

Quote from: krele on June 09, 2011, 06:39:12 AM

Whoa, holy Jesus, what's wrong with you people. So quick on the trigger T_T... Sheesh...

I too love how people read everything assuming that it's a personal attack.  

I actually have a question for Meiun.  Being that the client and server's are clearly going to be using something other than Game Maker, likely with native libraries to support more robust back-end technologies such as databases presumably over flat files, is there any intention to develop an outward facing API that allows users to poll the server to access account information on a read-only (account stats), or even read/write basis (trading, economy, etc...)?

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on June 09, 2011, 11:59:44 AM

I actually have a question for Meiun.  Being that the client and server's are clearly going to be using something other than Game Maker, likely with native libraries to support more robust back-end technologies such as databases presumably over flat files, is there any intention to develop an outward facing API that allows users to poll the server to access account information on a read-only (account stats), or even read/write basis (trading, economy, etc...)?
I actually have considered a few ideas that would utilize something of that nature, and depending on how I went about doing it, it likely wouldn't be too difficult to add I'd imagine. If I were to, it would probably be something a bit more unique than just stat integration to a website. But for the time being, nothing like this is really all too high on my list of priorities. If I were to add some features such as this, it would likely not be included in the initial public release. But who knows.

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on June 09, 2011, 01:12:39 PM
Quote from: Scotty on June 09, 2011, 11:59:44 AM

I actually have considered a few ideas that would utilize something of that nature, and depending on how I went about doing it, it likely wouldn't be too difficult to add I'd imagine. If I were to, it would probably be something a bit more unique than just stat integration to a website. But for the time being, nothing like this is really all too high on my list of priorities. If I were to add some features such as this, it would likely not be included in the initial public release. But who knows.

Was just planting the seed.  That's all, and yes, that would be downright awesome if you could come up with something.  Obviously with games there's a lot more to what you could come up with than simple stat integration.  Any ideas on what you'd use to transfer data?  XML?  JSON?

EDIT: Just to come up with a few more seeds worth planting, here's a few ideas that come to mind that would go good in an api.  These are based off capabilities in SOv2 (to include ideas that weren't implemented, but were discussed heavily), so obviously there could be more based off functionality in v3:

• Inventory viewing
  • Account stats
  • Online users
  • Chat
  • Trading
  • Clan management (create, add/remove members)

You get the idea.  Just planting seeds, that's all.

stick d00d

Any idea of when we will get a sneak peek? Not to rush you, just I'm/we're pretty excited to see how everything is going. I have a feeling this game will be nothing short of pure awesome.

In advance, Thanks to everyone working on the game, you guys put your free time into something for our enjoyment, and that is not something to be ignored.  :)

P.S I think it was said sometime this month, sorry if I come off as impatient.