News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online 3

Started by ARTgames, September 17, 2009, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

Stay on topic people, or else I will have to close this topic.

jonsploder

Meiun, how efficient is v3 now compared to v2? As in specs roughly.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: jonsploder on September 23, 2009, 03:29:57 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll need at least a Nvidia GTX 285 to run the new version. Meiun says he plans on tasking your machines to no end, or whatever is necassary, to ensure Stick Online 3 is graphically arrousing to every individual. He also has a dream, that one day, we can play alongside the blobs and not feel the need to pop them. He hopes one day we can go to school with the blobs, and learn math, science, not english though, cause we all know blobs speak german...

...did I misread your question or are you asking the required specs to run the game? O_o
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

JoEL

You miss read and acted like a douche like usual...

He is asking about the spec's of the game compared to v2, not the spec's needed to run the game.

Meiun

Quote from: jonsploder on September 23, 2009, 03:29:57 AM
The game obviously isn't complete yet, so I obviously can't give a 100% answer on this. But overall things seem to be shaping up to be quite efficient. I had always prided myself (at the time) with how efficient Stick Online V2 was in many ways, such as network usage, how the server (given a semi-decent machine) could handle multiple hundreds of people and or monsters simultaneously without much issue at all, despite being coded in GML, etc.
 One of the biggest changes in terms of the new games efficiency and technical enhancement is that the server end of it is now coded in Java instead of just GML. This change has offered me huge performance boosts, a LOT more low level functionality and control over things (multithreading being an example), and cuts out a huge amount of overhead and dead weight that GM carries which isn't necessary in a server application (the whole graphical engine being an example of this)
 The new engine so far goes even farther with efficiency and fanciness in many ways as well. For one, I wrote all the collision checking, motion planning, and all that nonsense completely from scratch, not using any built in GM events or functions for nearly any of it. The reasoning for this is was that there were a few quirks about how some of the built in stuff worked that I wanted more control over, that I basically need to do this on the server end of things anyways (minus any graphical aspect) in order to properly handle and manage things (and therefore need to make sure they work the exact same way), as well as the fact that I just knew I could do a good job at it.
 I really don't want to give away too much, but a few things you can expect so far with the new game engine are: much better/more realistic player movement, a much more/well animated character, muuuuch better and more fun level designs (offering all sorts of mario-esque gameplay scenario's, as well as more "vertical" levels vs the current game world being all strictly horizontal), andddd a bunch of other stuff that I am now too lazy to continue telling you guys! =]

Oh, and I still don't know what you guys mean by "specs", so if I didn't answer your question correctly then uhh... Too bad?

Quote from: JoEL on September 23, 2009, 08:41:49 AM

He is asking about the spec's of the game compared to v2, not the spec's needed to run the game.
HOSTILITY!!! Still not sure exactly what you guys mean by "specs of the game" either to be honest.

ARTgames

I don't think you mind telling us this.

In stick online 2 a big thing you wanted to start off using was a seamless world. I would say you did a good job of that. But! In stick online 3 will there be any indoor places? or should i say does the game easy support an indoor place?

...all sorts of mario-esque gameplay scenario's, as well as more "vertical" levels...
happy to hear! ^_^

Quote from: JoEL on September 23, 2009, 08:41:49 AM

QuoteHe is asking about the spec's of the game compared to v2, not the spec's needed to run the game.
HOSTILITY!!! Still not sure exactly what you guys mean by "specs of the game" either to be honest.
I think he is asking what is the system requirements for the new game. but you answered that in your post any way.

Meiun

Quote from: ARTgames on September 23, 2009, 08:33:56 PM

In stick online 2 a big thing you wanted to start off using was a seamless world. I would say you did a good job of that. But! In stick online 3 will there be any indoor places? or should i say does the game easy support an indoor place?
Yes, there will definitely be support for indoor places in V3. V3 won't be using the same "seamless" approach as V2 used (at least not nearly to the same extent). Along with a few technical advantages breaking areas up will allow us, the main reason for it is simply because the seamlessness ended up limiting the design and creativeness of the world layout quite a bit. For instance, without seamlessness we can make certain areas branch off into an unlimited possibility of other areas with ease. We could have a whole secret underground area you can go into via a hidden passage without having to worry about how all of these areas fit together and are placed, and ofcourse (as Art said) indoor areas. Another limitation of the seamless design was transitioning different types of areas. With the seamless design, if you were to switch from a grassy area to a volcano area, you'd have to worry about exactly how you would make the change graphically. Without seamless, it's much less of an issue. Don't worry though, areas will still be able to be plenty big!

Man do I write poorly (not to mention kind of strangely...) after a long day of classes and homework X_X

ARTgames

aww yes! this is the kind of info i made this topic for. Hope this makes people happy about the game.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Meiun on September 23, 2009, 09:06:57 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on September 23, 2009, 08:33:56 PM

Yes, there will definitely be support for indoor places in V3. V3 won't be using the same "seamless" approach as V2 used (at least not nearly to the same extent). Along with a few technical advantages breaking areas up will allow us, the main reason for it is simply because the seamlessness ended up limiting the design and creativeness of the world layout quite a bit. For instance, without seamlessness we can make certain areas branch off into an unlimited possibility of other areas with ease. We could have a whole secret underground area you can go into via a hidden passage without having to worry about how all of these areas fit together and are placed, and ofcourse (as Art said) indoor areas. Another limitation of the seamless design was transitioning different types of areas. With the seamless design, if you were to switch from a grassy area to a volcano area, you'd have to worry about exactly how you would make the change graphically. Without seamless, it's much less of an issue. Don't worry though, areas will still be able to be plenty big!

Man do I write poorly (not to mention kind of strangely...) after a long day of classes and homework X_X
Kinda just wondering...Do you plant on using more height (as in like platforms not near the ground) in v3? Because I think it would be cool if there were more to the game world than just the ground and buildings...but something to give height. Also on the reverse side...I think it would be cool if unlike v2, everything below a certain y axis didn't kill you. So we can have like caverns and stuff. But yeah, wondering if you plan on adding some of these elements or if your keeping the same v2 like map layout. I'm fine with either, just curious.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Lingus

I believe he already answered that

Quote from: Meiun on September 23, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
muuuuch better and more fun level designs (offering all sorts of mario-esque gameplay scenario's, as well as more "vertical" levels vs the current game world being all strictly horizontal)

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lingus on September 24, 2009, 05:58:23 PM
I believe he already answered that

Quote from: Meiun on September 23, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
muuuuch better and more fun level designs (offering all sorts of mario-esque gameplay scenario's, as well as more "vertical" levels vs the current game world being all strictly horizontal)
Oh oops I only saw his most recent post and missed that one...thanks for pointing that out.

Hambone

:D
I like hearing optimism.

LeGuy

I am offically excited again about this game. If Meiun can manage to meld RPG, combat, and platforming (and I do love me some platforming) then this could really shape up to be something amazing.
Whee!

Jackabomb

Mr. Pwnage, by the way, I conducted some studies on blobs, and found, interestingly enough, that BBB's tend toward a more Russian sounding dialect, while blobs near the the noobtown had begun to incorporate English words into their speech. Sand fiends seemed to be more or less illiterate, but were able to communicate basic info to each other through harsh, raspy noises (i.e. where enemies, that is, stick people, are located, and such). DS's were not available for interviewing at all, and tended to eat my messengers.

On topic, I ,for one, am surprised at the amount of information Muein has, uncharacteristically, divulged. It's not normal for him to give away such hints.

Meuin, I really would be interested in reading, at least the GML for the GM powers (kicking, banning, and, in your case, spawning).

JoEL

Quote from: Jackabomb on October 18, 2009, 10:20:14 PM
Mr. Pwnage, by the way, I conducted some studies on blobs, and found, interestingly enough, that BBB's tend toward a more Russian sounding dialect, while blobs near the the noobtown had begun to incorporate English words into their speech. Sand fiends seemed to be more or less illiterate, but were able to communicate basic info to each other through harsh, raspy noises (i.e. where enemies, that is, stick people, are located, and such). DS's were not available for interviewing at all, and tended to eat my messengers.

On topic, I ,for one, am surprised at the amount of information Muein has, uncharacteristically, divulged. It's not normal for him to give away such hints.

Meuin, I really would be interested in reading, at least the GML for the GM powers (kicking, banning, and, in your case, spawning).

Oh my god. Here I thought they were the easiest thing built into the game.