News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online 3

Started by ARTgames, September 17, 2009, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Quote from: Scotty on November 17, 2009, 03:48:49 AM
If by game play, you mean run around and kill things for gold that was meaningless, attaining levels that were pointless, receiving weapons that did the exact identical motions as the rest, only varied in damage dealt, and disappointingly relied on new hats that added nothing but bonuses to stats, then yeah, LOTS of gameplay, lots!

EDIT: You will soon realize that the only reason SO will be remembered, is because of the community that participated.  For good or for bad, it does have a community that will make you smile with glee, and frustrated with annoyance.  The only reason Stick Online survived is because of its flavor of community that has leeched onto it.  Whether that is good or bad, well that is up to the individual player to determine.

It goes without saying that SO only survived because of the community, I wouldn't have sat there and leveled if it wasn't with friends. But I don't agree that SO had absolutely no game play. Sure it was basic, but that bland quality is what made it unique.

Gold was pointless after level 30 or so, yes. The only purpose it served was to help newbies get items they weren't lucky enough to find from monsters. The levels were certainly not pointless. I don't think you really took into account that SO is a PvP based game, and as a PvP based game, fighting someone with 10+ levels on you is a pain in the ass. The weapons don't have identical motions, and honestly in a 2d game, you're pretty damn limited to the amount of different motions you can make. The weapons also didn't vary only with damage dealt, but stamina used and knockback added. I agree on the hats, it woulda been nice to see more hats with special effects, like dis's gaia crown, or that hat in so1 that made it snow.

ARTgames

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 16, 2009, 11:10:38 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on November 16, 2009, 10:20:47 PM
QuoteHowever, a beautifully networked game with no gameplay isn't going to do well - if you take the time to develop the features and gameplay you want, and test it out, you can see how it all works before you devote a large chunk of time programming it in online aspects. Its a great way to see how your game would function, and how fun it would be, before you put a very large amount of time into the online programming - and from there you can easily take portions of your pre-developed gameplay and just work with it.

Oh, i guess you missed stick online one and two.

....Stick Online One and Two had Gameplay....

I was just saying that stick online 1 and 2 were his testing grounds.