News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

I didn't actually notice this until now, but...

Started by VolcomPunk, April 16, 2010, 05:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VolcomPunk

As I was browsing the forums, I came across something that someone pointed out to me: there aren't any rules of conduct for these forums. Being one of the older members of this community, I already know how I should conduct myself on the forums and it's pretty much basic knowledge for me. However, what are newer members supposed to think? Legally, I could do or say anything I wanted to do on these forums, and there isn't really anything that anyone could do about it.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but whatever, it doesn't matter. The point is, the need for a rules thread is very great. Even though to most of us it doesn't even matter, it's still very important.

EDIT: I've also heard that some admins/moderators have ignored requests for a rules thread to be written. Isn't that such a great example to set for new members? Maybe this isn't true, but for now, I'll just go by what I've heard.

Matty_Richo

Well you are right in some way.
I mean Moderators/Admins can ban anyone they want for whatever reason they deem necessary, so they can do that.
Now maybe a rules topic could be good, but all the people that are likely to spam and do stupid things aren't really likely to read the rules!
~ Matty

ARTgames

VolcomPunk

DivineLegend

kk... i will just do this... making rules thread now.

Lingus

I agree on one hand, but on the other hand I don't think it will change anything. I'm pretty sure the only real rules that apply here is general forum etiquette and just common sense. And as someone already mentioned, people who tend to break the generally accepted rules are probably not going to read a rules thread.

Though, I don't see any harm in posting a list of forum "guidelines". The problem with a set of rules is that someone can look to that and say they didn't do anything wrong because technically it isn't on the rules. A set of guidelines, and a mention of following common courtesy would be fine though.

VolcomPunk

Quote from: Lingus on April 16, 2010, 02:54:25 PM
I agree on one hand, but on the other hand I don't think it will change anything. I'm pretty sure the only real rules that apply here is general forum etiquette and just common sense. And as someone already mentioned, people who tend to break the generally accepted rules are probably not going to read a rules thread.

Though, I don't see any harm in posting a list of forum "guidelines". The problem with a set of rules is that someone can look to that and say they didn't do anything wrong because technically it isn't on the rules. A set of guidelines, and a mention of following common courtesy would be fine though.

Having a rules thread is better than having nothing. Rules set guidelines for the community and it's behavior. Without rules, a community is free to do whatever it pleases.

Mr Pwnage

http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=302.0

Pretty sure Seifer just made your wish come true...I wrote that many months ago and just as of today it is stickied...but there's your rules/guidelines thread....
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Meiun

You all seem to be forgetting the rules and terms of use agreement that you all agreed to upon registering your account.

QuoteIt is strongly recommended that you use a unique password for each of your Stick Online related accounts (game, website, etc). It is also strongly recommended that all new forum members read the following topic on how to gain access to the current game before they make any posts on this forum: http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

That, along with the guidelines that Mr Pwnage had posted, as well as common sense should be more than enough for the community in its current state. If a problem arises, I or another moderator typically deal with it as it comes.

Forum

Quote from: Meiun on April 17, 2010, 12:23:05 AM
You all seem to be forgetting the rules and terms of use agreement that you all agreed to upon registering your account.

QuoteIt is strongly recommended that you use a unique password for each of your Stick Online related accounts (game, website, etc). It is also strongly recommended that all new forum members read the following topic on how to gain access to the current game before they make any posts on this forum: http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

That, along with the guidelines that Mr Pwnage had posted, as well as common sense should be more than enough for the community in its current state. If a problem arises, I or another moderator typically deal with it as it comes.
Agreed but most people just skip over that
Officially quitted

NotoriousM4^

They shouldn't have to be posted, I thought everyone around here had some sense of common forum curtsy and maturity. There had never been a question of the rules (maybe some ethics, but not rules) around here seeing as I thought everyone pretty much had a silent agreement of what was acceptable and what was not; until recently a newcomer decided to shit on this agreement and bring everything to question simply because he could not understand the most basic of forum etiquette.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 17, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
They shouldn't have to be posted, I thought everyone around here had some sense of common forum curtsy and maturity. There had never been a question of the rules (maybe some ethics, but not rules) around here seeing as I thought everyone pretty much had a silent agreement of what was acceptable and what was not; until recently a newcomer decided to shit on this agreement and bring everything to question simply because he could not understand the most basic of forum etiquette.

Though you realize since this game appeals to younger children your going to get little kids who act like that a lot right? Sure this is one instance, but I assure you waves of ignorant and immature people will flow in as long as this forum lives. It's just a simple fact of life.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Meiun

Quote from: Forum on April 17, 2010, 04:01:02 PMAgreed but most people just skip over that
Well, if they do that is ENTIRELY their own fault and they will be punished accordingly. Ignorance is no excuse.

Torch

Perhaps that same rules and terms of use agreement should be stickied in the general section?

JoEL

Ever since xgamer and volcompunk had arrived on these forums we've needed a set of "guide lines" to follow, how strange, so suddenly...

I wouldn't even expect many new members to these forums, because you can only play the game if you're a donor. Sure a few new people show up, post in the general section of the forums asking for the game to be "free"/open to everyone, then they leave.