News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online PvP League

Started by Scotty, July 10, 2010, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I think I might have a winner, don't bother submitting new stuff.  Although, the Flash designer request still holds!

EpicPhailure

Bah, too late for me then D:

Lingus

Getting back to the topic of verification. My idea was to have a 3rd party. Similar to the idea Scott had about having a GM sign up to verify a match. Also, similar to someone elses idea about having other league members comment and say who they saw won. The difference, both people in the match decide on 1 other person (who is also in the league) to be a 3rd party to the match. All 3 people would agree to this (somehow in the interface the two people in the match, when they are signing up for the match would choose another member, this would then prompt that 3rd member to accept the responsibility of verifying the match... if they refuse, or one of the people in the match decides on a different person, it would go back to the people in the match to choose someone else.) So then essentially, you would have both people saying whether they won or lost, and if those results don't match up, the 3rd party would verify. By having the whole process of both people in the match choosing who this 3rd person is, they are accepting that person's judgement.

The reason why I don't think community judgement is that great is because there's too much chance for the mob mentality to take effect and everyone decides to gang up on a given individual and start saying everything they say is false therby getting them banned from the league. It's too easy for that sort of thing to happen without any way of verifying. If it is limited to a GM or a trusted 3rd party which both people accept, there is little to no chance of people being falsely accused (and if they are, it was either their choice and they have to accept it, or we have a corrupt moderator.)

Mr Pwnage

I have another question/point I'd like to bring up...

Many, if not all, people who play SO have more than 1 account they may like to use for PVP. If this is the case, are you going to have us register more than 1 account, or are we just going to have 1 account and tie multiple IGNs to it? Also, this doesn't apply to me, but I know it applies to some: Some people share accounts, and I'd imagine more than one person might want to use the same account for various matches...so I suppose that is something else to take into consideration.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Lingus

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on July 12, 2010, 06:08:57 PM
I have another question/point I'd like to bring up...

Many, if not all, people who play SO have more than 1 account they may like to use for PVP. If this is the case, are you going to have us register more than 1 account, or are we just going to have 1 account and tie multiple IGNs to it? Also, this doesn't apply to me, but I know it applies to some: Some people share accounts, and I'd imagine more than one person might want to use the same account for various matches...so I suppose that is something else to take into consideration.
I think this is an interesting point of discussion. What's to stop someone from registering on the PVP League for someone elses SO game account? It brings up something that I was thinking of mentioning: Any plans to have the SO server send data to the PVP League website? I know this was something a previous SO did, but I'm not sure if that's a possibility at this point. It would be nice to have all of SO user data as well as possibly clan data. This way someone would have to type in their SO password to verify they own the account (though in the case of people who share their account this wouldn't eliminate someone else registering for it). This would also eliminate the need to moderate clans on the site separate from the game. The leader of the clan would be identified (and that person would be in charge of validating clan matches), and all of the members of the clan would be identified as well.

Though, if that's not possible, we could just have a standard account system. It would be nice for people with multiple accounts to register all of their accounts in one. And as for shared accounts, I don't think there's any need to accomodate this as the terms of the game considers it illegal anyways. If they share game accounts, they can share PVP League accounts. And if they don't want to share that account as well as any other account they might have, they could register them separately.

Scotty

It is an all-in-one registration.  You register for a PvP League account, and then you are given the option of adding your SO accounts once you've registered.  As far as falsifying accounts, there isn't a whole lot we can do about that.  I spoke with Meiun before about the stats, and while there are other ways of implementing the stat system, he said no, so that's unfortunately what we're going to have to roll with.

Lingus, I knew there was a reason you were still around!  I didn't think about the mutual moderator, I think that'd be great idea!  That's about as fool-proof as I think we can get!

HeroicHero

I guess I could take a stab at a Flash banner but I really don't know what to put in it. It'd be nice if someone could point me in the right direction.

Would you want some kind of mouse-interactive thing or an animation, etc?

Aqua

I'd have scrolling pictures of past PVP matches broken into little pieces. What I mean:
Have different scenes like that which present like a slideshow: show one, wait 30 seconds, show another.
First slide in the background of the arena (or wherever, and whatever kind of transition), bring in audience (if any), the key characters, and finally slowly move the key characters in an abstract way, while transitioning in source, if any. Bring in another shot.
From screenshot topic, 4th page
In this case: 1) Slide in the arena. 2) Fade in the audience. 3) Flash in the DeamonClawz figure. 4) Add in the ASD! figure. 5) Move DeamonClawz and ASD! away from each other, both fading slowly; all this while bringing in 'Stick Online Official tournament July 11th 2009'. 6) When ~30 seconds has passed, transition to the next scene.

I hope this helps, and is not overwhelming.
~Aqua

HeroicHero

Well here what I made so far...

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1279053251

I based it off that picture. I'm not sure if it's what you wanted.
And if you click it, it links to this site. :D

Aqua

Main part I don't like is how the audience/key characters are shown separately. I recommend doing a quick slide and a motion blur, so that the viewer can link the audience to the key characters. Also, if you take the arena background, you can pull the stick figures out. This way you can have a more dynamic picture so the characters don't look glued on.
~Aqua

HeroicHero

Uh, I don't have a picture of the arena empty. Nor do I have an sprites of stickmen. D:

If I had some animated sprites and stuff, I could totally make this 100x better.