News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Terraria (1.2 is out!)

Started by 11clock, May 03, 2011, 10:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan

I just got a magic missle, but have no use for it.

Anyone willing to trade for anything?
Livin' in a lonely world.

darkflash

ok what would you like for it and:

Im using hamachi and im hosting a server fell free to join if you'd like

Server ID: Zombie's Server

Password: 123

Terraria IP: 5.7.230.176

Password: 123

Titan

Honestly I'd take a lot.

Not sure how rare it is compared to other things, but I'd trade for a blue moon, nightmare pickaxe, blade of grass, or some decent armor.

Infection

Ouch, clocky. Do not fret, though. I am in the same situation.

http://imageshack.us/m/20/7828/world1i.png

Also, if you look at the path into my mine, and follow it, you can see I ran into a water problem. :D
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Jesus7

OKay looked into it. Problem fixed. Server up at 75.133.160.143. Have at it!

darkflash

Titan

Scotty

Alright, I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't see this game lasting past a couple of months, even with "regular" updates.  I'll explain, and I'll also compare it to the success of minecraft.

This game has caps.  Caps that can and will be reached.  Think of this as a more glorified Stick Online.  Throw creativity out the window.  Once you get all the items, you're done.  It doesn't nearly emphasize creativity as much as Minecraft does, and you're bound to hit that cap in no time flat.  Updates?  New content?  I guarantee, even if they did weekly updates and added items on every update, people are going to do everything they can to get those items within the first day or two, then get bored until the next update, rinse, repeat.  A lot of this can be fixed with a few basic updates.  Things like not having the spawns NOT spawn all over the !@#$ing place, and honing in on you the moment they spawn with 100% accuracy.  Even if they fix some of those annoyances though, it doesn't change the fact that the game is more or less a challenge of acquisition, and not creativity.  The game emphasizes on finding stuff, not creating elaborate buildings.  Sure, you can build to your hearts desire, but you're gonna get bored doing it.  Some of that boredom might be due to the fact that on the creative scale, this game is definitely a step back from the 3D Minecraft.  Now you are creating on a 2D canvas, and are much more limited to what you can accomplish.

I hope it succeeds, I'd like to see it go big, but at this point and phase, I don't see it lasting past June.

Cactuscat222

I agree Scotty - but I also feel/felt the same way about Minecraft. After a few months... there just wasn't much left to do. Granted, I wasn't as heavily invested in the creativity part (which is Minecraft's main focus at this point, it seems), but still it just tired out for me.

This game though focuses more on the exploration/battle aspects that I would like to see in Minecraft. Seeing as some people continue to enjoy Minecraft and its creativity aspects to this day, I have hopes that since I enjoy the aspects that this game focuses on more, that it'll be able to last a long time to come.

I just hope for more challenging bosses and harder to obtain items so that you can't just get everything in one go.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on May 20, 2011, 12:30:20 AM
Alright, I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't see this game lasting past a couple of months, even with "regular" updates.  I'll explain, and I'll also compare it to the success of minecraft.

This game has caps.  Caps that can and will be reached.  Think of this as a more glorified Stick Online.  Throw creativity out the window.  Once you get all the items, you're done.  It doesn't nearly emphasize creativity as much as Minecraft does, and you're bound to hit that cap in no time flat.  Updates?  New content?  I guarantee, even if they did weekly updates and added items on every update, people are going to do everything they can to get those items within the first day or two, then get bored until the next update, rinse, repeat.  A lot of this can be fixed with a few basic updates.  Things like not having the spawns NOT spawn all over the !@#$ing place, and honing in on you the moment they spawn with 100% accuracy.  Even if they fix some of those annoyances though, it doesn't change the fact that the game is more or less a challenge of acquisition, and not creativity.  The game emphasizes on finding stuff, not creating elaborate buildings.  Sure, you can build to your hearts desire, but you're gonna get bored doing it.  Some of that boredom might be due to the fact that on the creative scale, this game is definitely a step back from the 3D Minecraft.  Now you are creating on a 2D canvas, and are much more limited to what you can accomplish.

I hope it succeeds, I'd like to see it go big, but at this point and phase, I don't see it lasting past June.
That's the way most games are. Zelda has a finite number of things to do before you've "won" or done everything there is to do, but it doesn't make it any less of an awesome game or worthwhile experience. This is the same thing, except with potentially even less of this problem than most games have. While still finite in possibilities, Terraria does have a tremendous amount of content, and at least some additional long term value in building, exploring, etc. (which many other great games don't have any of). If they can crank out new content at even a decent rate it will only add to it.

Minecraft is a great game in that it's really limited by your creativity more than anything else, but minecraft is also not as much of an action-adventure/rpg game in the traditional since. They are just different kinds of games really, and while I can see how you would say that minecraft has more longterm appeal, I wouldn't neccesarily say it is a straight up better game because of it. I happen to have been having a total blast playing Terraria, which is an experience that will still have remained just as awesome even if I do eventually do all that there is to do.

Besides, they seem to have made the current game (and all it's loads of content) extremely quickly, so I don't see why they couldn't continue to do so. Particularly if it continues to do as well as it has been sales wise.

Magebolt

ahhaa i wish there was more people on my time cause when i go on no ones is on jesusland:P
http://teno.boards.net/

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

T-Rok

Quote from: Magebolt on May 20, 2011, 05:28:34 AM
ahhaa i wish there was more people on my time cause when i go on no ones is on jesusland:P

logged into to say hello and you were gone :[

Magebolt

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

Josh

Same. Bought it, played it, PLAYING it and loving it ;)
It was so mind boggling for me in the beginning :S.

Magebolt

Should make jesus's world the main server nd have it at the front:P