News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Terraria (1.2 is out!)

Started by 11clock, May 03, 2011, 10:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: havok on May 23, 2011, 03:56:58 PM
PS Geohot's lost because he was lieing and hiding things from the court DO a little searching around :p

So much for not arguing.  You clearly have little to no understanding of the case, and you are continuing to egg on those who do know.  He didn't lose so much as Sony didn't win.  They came to an agreement as to not financially ruin him.  Where did you read that he lost?

All though it didnt help that it was a big corp sewing him.

Which is it then!?

but his hacking might have lead to the Playstation network being down. They lost a nice little bit of money on that. If you  still think hacking is okay.

What he exposed has absolutely nothing to do with the Playstation NETWORK going down.  He cracked the console, not the network.  If there was anything that could relate the two, it was a vigilante effort that sided with Hotz

and he wasn't alone he had all the other hacker's around the world helping him sending him money.

What's the old saying?  If you good at doing something, never do it for free, is it?

Im not saying hacking is wrong and a bad thing im just saying doing it with out permission from the source code's owner is wrong to me.
Unless its a legal reason.

Exposing the code isn't bad, it's what's done with it that could be potentially bad.  What's to worry over if someone looked at it and immediately discarded it out of boredom?  Or are you worried that someone might point out flaws in the application and hurt feelings by expressing their desire to help?  Sounds like someone's got a sensitive ego and can't accept constructive criticism.

Meiun

Quote from: Chaos on May 23, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
he paid for it, he owns it, it is entirely within his rights to do whatever the bloody hell he wants with it.
Speaking generally about tampering and screwing with other peoples stuff.. Legally, sure (depending on what they do with their stuff). Morally, not so much, at least in my book. Many companies only sell you their product with the agreement/implication that you won't due shit such as that. Also, when your actions begin to screw with other peoples enjoyability (anyone really for that matter), or the companies success, that's not ok (sometimes illegal in this case too).

Not the best analogy towards what I'm getting at here, but just because you bought a gun certainly doesn't mean you have the right to do "whatever the bloody hell you want with it" (particularly not the bloody and hell part in this case). When your use begins to negatively impact others, either on a minor or indirect level, or direct and significant, thats when it quickly starts becoming wrong.

But either way, my fault for sending this conversation off topic like this. So at the least, lets try to not let it stray any further. This topic is not about Sony (or the morals of reverse engineering really for that matter).

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on May 23, 2011, 04:15:12 PM
he paid for it, he owns it, it is entirely within his rights to do whatever the bloody hell he wants with it.
Speaking generally about tampering and screwing with other peoples stuff.. Legally, sure (depending on what they do with their stuff). Morally, not so much, at least in my book. Many companies only sell you their product with the agreement/implication that you won't due shit such as that. Also, when your actions begin to screw with other peoples enjoyability (anyone really for that matter), or the companies success, that's not ok (sometimes illegal in this case too).

Not the best analogy towards what I'm getting at here, but just because you bought a gun certainly doesn't mean you have the right to do "whatever the bloody hell you want with it" (particularly not the bloody and hell part in this case). When your use begins to negatively impact others, either on a minor or indirect level, or direct and significant, thats when it quickly starts becoming wrong.

But either way, my fault for sending this conversation off topic like this. So at the least, lets try to not let it stray any further. This topic is not about Sony (or the morals of reverse engineering really for that matter).

Thing is though, much like T-Rok's friend, Hotz didn't do anything that would affect other's experience with the console, unless they wanted to go down that route.  He didn't force anyone to use the information he had, he didn't get an extra kill on someone on COD for it, he simply discovered the secret that Sony fought so hard to maintain as a secret, released it to the public, making them look stupid, and they got their panties in a bunch.

Nice analogy by the way, clever choice!  ;D

But anyways, to at least contribute to the topic, they'd better start getting around to adding loads of content if they expect people to remain interested, since that is what the game is all about.  One item a week probably ain't gonna last long.  It's early though, time will tell.

havok

my bad for fighting with them about it i should hae closed my mouth. when i said i was going to.

and like i said its not the same but goes on the same gide line is what i was trying to point out.

back to the Terraria

im glad they changed the port and that i can host from a domain as welll maybe not i can get my server up.(without hamachi)

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on May 23, 2011, 04:20:33 PM

Thing is though, much like T-Rok's friend, Hotz didn't do anything that would affect other's experience with the console, unless they wanted to go down that route.  He didn't force anyone to use the information he had, he didn't get an extra kill on someone on COD for it, he simply discovered the secret that Sony fought so hard to maintain as a secret, released it to the public, making them look stupid, and they got their panties in a bunch.
Technically, yes. But he should still have known prior to doing so, that by releasing it, it would cause far more harm than good. Essentially, he was acting as an enabler in the situation. Waving his potentially deadly hack "drugs" in the faces of all those otherwise harmless black hacker "drug addicts".

But anyways, shame on you Meiun for bringing this further off topic!

havok

Quote from: Meiun on May 23, 2011, 04:26:48 PM

Thing is though, much like T-Rok's friend, Hotz didn't do anything that would affect other's experience with the console, unless they wanted to go down that route.  He didn't force anyone to use the information he had, he didn't get an extra kill on someone on COD for it, he simply discovered the secret that Sony fought so hard to maintain as a secret, released it to the public, making them look stupid, and they got their panties in a bunch.
Technically, yes. But he should still have known prior to doing so, that by releasing it, it would cause far more harm than good. Essentially, he was acting as an enabler in the situation. Waving his (debatably) difficult to find hack "drugs" in the faces of all those otherwise harmless black hacker "drug addicts".

Thank you for saying that tho i was about to but you worded it better then i would.
Plus i didnt want to start fighting again :p

Cactuscat222

I doubt it'll just be one new item a week. Their focus is probably bugfixing/optimization at this point, and to fix any and all of the crashes people are experiencing, before adding any hefty about of content.

Like you said, it has only been 1 week, too early to tell, but I'm no where near holding it against them...

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

thekolla

Fought skeletron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBp-0xcmoo) While there was a blood moon (really fun) And i got some extra things i dont need from the dungeon, so im offering them up.

I have
Muramasa x1
Blue moon x1
Handgun x1
Enchanted boomerang x1
And Life Crystal x4 - Limit 2 per person

Im looking for some Molten armor, but im willing to negotiate for something else that is good.

Thanks, if you want something just make a post or pm me, either one works.

Edit i probally wont get to hand out tonight, big tornado coming our way appearntly D:.

Jmac

Just made a watch lol, no real purpose other than letting me know when it's bout to be dark. >_<

ARTgames

Technically, yes. But he should still have known prior to doing so, that by releasing it, it would cause far more harm than good. Essentially, he was acting as an enabler in the situation. Waving his potentially deadly hack "drugs" in the faces of all those otherwise harmless black hacker "drug addicts".

This topic seems to draw a vary strong parallel to file sharing and how information can be toyed with. At some level you have the source code to everything. And you can kind of think of the program and the source as the same thing in different forms. Now of course its not 1:1 and some information can be lost/gain going from one to another. Its like music remixes but instead of the person adding his own originality to the information, he just changes it into something else closer to what it was before he got it.

Almost like making a music sheet from something some one hears. I think the controversy comes in the effort on the 3ed party's job of messing with some one's else information. We seem to have different standards for this stuff. Its all going to come down to the feelings of the two party's and the opinion of there social peers. What side are you all on?

Meiun

Quote from: ARTgames on May 23, 2011, 06:38:38 PM

This topic seems to draw a vary strong parallel to file sharing and how information can be toyed with. At some level you have the source code to everything. And you can kind of think of the program and the source as the same thing in different forms. Now of course its not 1:1 and some information can be lost/gain going from one to another. Its like music remixes but instead of the person adding his own originality to the information, he just changes it into something else closer to what it was before he got it.

Almost like making a music sheet from something some one hears. I think the controversy comes in the effort on the 3ed party's job of messing with some one's else information. We seem to have different standards for this stuff. Its all going to come down to the feelings of the two party's and the opinion of there social peers. What side are you all on?
This is really something that you should make a new topic to discuss.

ARTgames

Your right Meiun. Agreed.

As for the game its self I really like it. The main game play is not bad and feels stable to me. All the content also makes me happy having to find out new things. I have not payed for it because it was gifted to me but I feel like it would have been worth the money. Cheaper than a 3D movie in most places and last longer. It also does not feel like just a rehash of Minecraft.

havok

this is a stick online server that wil be up 24/7(i got the ports fixed so you dont need hamachi)all the info you need is in that link

http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2089.0

Meiun

Honestly, I'm sort of starting to agree with what Scotty said a while ago about the games long term appeal. I still fully stand by what I said earlier about the game being a good game even if you do run out of stuff to do, get everything there is to get, etc. That is not the problem really. But to me, the problem lies in the general design of the multiplayer experience for the game.

Once people who have already progressed super far into the game (and have tons of good shit) start to become more and more common, then play alongside new players, it sort of ruins it for the new players. The games design tends to make it easy for players who already have super good shit to get more of it, making it really easy for them to have excess copies of items that should and would otherwise be extremely hard to come by or acquire (for any new player). The problem is then worsened by the fact that there is really no value or use for these extra high end items for players who already have them, making it so they pretty much have nothing else to do with them but give them to the noobs. So then you are left with a bunch of noobs all being spoiled to crap by getting handouts within the first two hours of playing the game, and then they too will have basically "beaten the game" before they even have truly gotten started. Even if you don't get handouts item wise for playing with experienced players, you still get sort of indirectly effected because of how much easier they make things for you. But mainly its just the handout thing.

If you were to just play the game either all single player, or all with people who are around the same place as you progression/gear wise, it is great (still personally feel a lot of the items should be rarer, but thats just me). The problem isn't really the fault of any of the players, its more of a design flaw/difficulty if anything. The game in many ways seems to be designed to be a single player experience in terms of how things progress, but has tons of multiplayer elements put in as well. This is awesome in many ways, but can sort of screw things up in certain cases for the reasons described in my last pharagraph. Most of what makes the game fun to me is the experience and journey of acquiring new and rare items, so when other epic players come along and can so easily do this for you, make it far too easy, or just give you their now-too-easy-to-acquire-extras, it sort of spoils all that.

Almost makes me wish the game did not have trading. Would be an unfortunate sacrifice, as trading can be great. But doing so would likely be the simplest way to solve at least 90% of this issue.

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on May 24, 2011, 12:40:39 AM
Honestly, I'm sort of starting to agree with what Scotty said a while ago about the games long term appeal. I still fully stand by what I said earlier about the game being a good game even if you do run out of stuff to do, get everything there is to get, etc. That is not the problem really. But to me, the problem lies in the general design of the multiplayer experience for the game.

Once people who have already progressed super far into the game (and have tons of good shit) start to become more and more common, then play alongside new players, it sort of ruins it for the new players. The games design tends to make it easy for players who already have super good shit to get more of it, making it really easy for them to have excess copies of items that should and would otherwise be extremely hard to come by or acquire (for any new player). The problem is then worsened by the fact that there is really no value or use for these extra high end items for players who already have them, making it so they pretty much have nothing else to do with them but give them to the noobs. So then you are left with a bunch of noobs all being spoiled to crap by getting handouts within the first two hours of playing the game, and then they too will have basically "beaten the game" before they even have truly gotten started. Even if you don't get handouts item wise for playing with experienced players, you still get sort of indirectly effected because of how much easier they make things for you. But mainly its just the handout thing.

If you were to just play the game either all single player, or all with people who are around the same place as you progression/gear wise, it is great (still personally feel a lot of the items should be rarer, but thats just me). The problem isn't really the fault of any of the players, its more of a design flaw/difficulty if anything. The game in many ways seems to be designed to be a single player experience in terms of how things progress, but has tons of multiplayer elements put in as well. This is awesome in many ways, but can sort of screw things up in certain cases for the reasons described in my last pharagraph. Most of what makes the game fun to me is the experience and journey of acquiring new and rare items, so when other epic players come along and can so easily do this for you, make it far too easy, or just give you their now-too-easy-to-acquire-extras, it sort of spoils all that.

Almost makes me wish the game did not have trading. Would be an unfortunate sacrifice, as trading can be great. But doing so would likely be the simplest way to solve at least 90% of this issue.

Well that didn't take long.  :P  It just so happened my handouts came on day two, yours came a week later than mine.

Seriously though, I've gone the route of creativity.  I recently re-imaged my desktop and I started over with Chaos, Luci, Haon, Snakey-poo, and maybe eventually Jake, all of us trash talking one another on Teamspeak while we start fresh on a new map, fresh characters, etc... Once we start fresh, we've all sort of adapted to different responsibilities.  Chaos handles the magic, I do the architecture (this fort, whom I've dubbed "Fort Awesome" is shaping up quite nicely!), Snake is the residential pain in the ass, Luci is my supply bitch, and Haon fills the role of the pin-cushion (sarcasm for the latter 3 of course).  I'm actually enjoying finally exploiting the creative side of the game.  I don't have more than some decent pick-axes,hammers, etc..  No armor, no decent weapons, and I'm actually enjoying the game more than before when people would just run by me and throw free stuff.

Either way, I'm sure this will wear off in a day or two, and I'll be back to square one.  It's inevitable to have free handouts when everyone caps out and just racks up on the rare gear.  If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say "Does anyone need meteorite?"  I'd buy everyone on these forums a copy to the game.