News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

What Would You Like to See in SOv3?

Started by Zario777, September 24, 2012, 04:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loganvz123

The easiest thing to do is port StickOnline to Java, then run it on Android.

Tuffi

Quote from: Loganvz123 on October 14, 2012, 01:39:28 AM
The easiest thing to do is port StickOnline to Java, then run it on Android.
Mono/C# can be already be deployed to Android, along with MonoGame being supported on Android.

This still wouldn't change the fact that SO wouldn't really be suited for a touch screen device though.  I would realistically expect either Mac or Linux to be the most feasible port, depending on which system Meiun is more comfortable with.
Characters I own:
Tuffi, Puffi, Wuffi, and Nuffi

Forum

Officially quitted

havok

Quote from: Meiun on October 13, 2012, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: Bread on October 13, 2012, 11:37:15 PM
Does that mean it's possible to see Stick-Online in the Xbox Arcade one day? xD
Possible yes, but I don't know how probable :P If I were to make it available on any other platforms that probably wouldn't be the first i'd go for.

LMFAO AT THIS

Loganvz123

Meiun

Quote from: Loganvz123 on October 19, 2012, 02:30:34 AM
GitHub. 'Nuff said.
Not a chance, sorry :P Besides, an open source MMO would have a very hard time actually functioning as a real MMO.

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on October 14, 2012, 01:31:10 AM
Possible yes, but I don't know how probable :P If I were to make it available on any other platforms that probably wouldn't be the first i'd go for.

I was thinking the same. It'd be interesting to see, but I'm not sure if in the long run if it would be plausible. Mind if I ask which platform would be the highest in terms of a port? I don't think it would be easy on a phone with the inventory and smaller screen.
I'm really only focused on the standard windows desktop version now. But I have considered the future possibility of other platforms a bit, though it certainly is by no means any sort of priority for now (and may never be).

But, if I were to, the most likely other platforms (in order) would probably be the following:
-Windows 8 Metro (touchscreen would be optional if thats all you had available, though I will still never believe that a touchscreen alone is a legitimate input method for gaming)
-Linux
-Android (can actually find a bit more on this one in some older posts)
-Windows Phone 8
-Everything else except iOS
-iOS

CherryPie

Quote from: Meiun on October 19, 2012, 06:44:40 PM
GitHub. 'Nuff said.
Not a chance, sorry :P Besides, an open source MMO would have a very hard time actually functioning as a real MMO.

I was thinking the same. It'd be interesting to see, but I'm not sure if in the long run if it would be plausible. Mind if I ask which platform would be the highest in terms of a port? I don't think it would be easy on a phone with the inventory and smaller screen.
-iOS

Haha, yeah that's also what I experienced.. coding objective c is pain in the ass compared to C#.

However, this is what I found about porting from xna to iOS easily:

http://andrewrussell.net/exen/
http://monogame.codeplex.com/

(you probably already knew both, but just in case it could help..)

Meiun

Quote from: CherryPie on October 20, 2012, 04:16:47 AM
Quote from: Meiun on October 19, 2012, 06:44:40 PM
GitHub. 'Nuff said.

-iOS

Haha, yeah that's also what I experienced.. coding objective c is pain in the ass compared to C#.

However, this is what I found about porting from xna to iOS easily:

http://andrewrussell.net/exen/
http://monogame.codeplex.com/

(you probably already knew both, but just in case it could help..)
I would just use mono (as discussed earlier) if I were to do it for iOS, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. It is more due to my lack of interest in iOS really =x

foG

SO3 on iphone would probably cause failing class :D

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

Loganvz123

One. He would need a Mac. Two.  Objective C.......enough said.

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on October 20, 2012, 12:33:03 PM
I would just use mono (as discussed earlier) if I were to do it for iOS, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. It is more due to my lack of interest in iOS really =x
That makes me sad :(

I like the iPad. I use it at home more than I do my computer.

I would understand if it were due to constraints in programming, but just because of preferrence or lack of interest is a bit frustrating to me. That said, it's your deal.

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on November 05, 2012, 08:41:23 PM

I would understand if it were due to constraints in programming, but just because of preferrence or lack of interest is a bit frustrating to me. That said, it's your deal.
I totally understand where your coming from. But you also have to understand that a big part of why I make Stick Online is because of the enjoyment I get from creating it. Being able to make lots of money or being able to strike the biggest audience is not really much of a factor for me. I want to make a game that I am happy with on a personal level, for the platform(s) that I see best fit for the game. Obviously pleasing the existing fanbase of the game is a factor as well. But for something that is as non essential to the new game as multi-platform support, it wouldn't be worth it to me if I were going through all the extra effort just to create it for a platform I have zero interest in (and would therefore get no enjoyment out of creating it for). I'm not even saying it could never happen, I'm just saying that at this point in time it is looking very unlikely.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lucifer on September 25, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
What I would like to see more than anything is a strong emphasis on Clans, and Clan related PvP content. Meiun has informed us as to the potential existence of independent "zones", rather than a purely seamless world.

I see the possibility for some of these zones to be controllable, able to be contended over by Clans. Whether or not these zones would actually have a specific function (perhaps trickling gold into a Clan vault) or simply be for ego's sake is up to debate, as well as how the specifics of how such a system would function.

I'd also like to see a shout back to early SoV2 days with some zones enforcing PvP at all times, literally turning it on for you and disabling the capability to be turned off upon entering the zone. These could be areas in which Clans could establish a presence, similar to specific clans claiming ownership of the Mountain, etc, like before.

One more thing, and I believed I expressed this in another topic, but zones also provide the potential for Clan Bases. These Bases could simply be areas for your Clan members to hang out, similarly to an idea for the SOv2 donor clubhouse that had some popularity in the previous forum's donor section. They could also have practical uses, for instance perhaps the Clan Leader would be able to spend funds on certain things; shops, aesthetic improvements, etc.

I'm truly excited to see what Meiun has in store for us in this transition from a seamless to a zoned world.
I would love this.

I will make the
GROVE
-STR-
4 LIFE

clan and kill all ya ballas.

Lucifer

Haha ART, you got me! GTA:SA was exactly what I was imagining when I made that post. I thoroughly enjoy the concept of the players able to have some effect on the MMO, something they can see and feel they've accomplished something other than reaching the highest level and acquiring the best gear. In SOv2 for me this was the relative size of the community, the capability to actually become get to become known and actually interact with the game developers, as well as the fact that I'd never before played an MMO that cared enough on the individual level to design equipment for each and every tournament winner.

I imagine a new player looking at a map of the world in a major city, and finding that The Shadies control the largest portion. He'll look them up on the forums and find their rigorous acceptance requirements, and set a goal for himself to become good enough to join them too. Clans are the connection between the player and the world, they're the step that brings you from a friendless newb into a group of awesome people you might end up knowing for years to come. For me, this was joining The Infernos; I idolized Torch & Specialboy, and wanted more than anything to PvP on par with them one day. As games like Minecraft have shown, the best way to engage your audience is to not only give them clear goals to accomplish, but give them the tools to set their own goals.

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on November 05, 2012, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: Lingus on November 05, 2012, 08:41:23 PM

I totally understand where your coming from. But you also have to understand that a big part of why I make Stick Online is because of the enjoyment I get from creating it. Being able to make lots of money or being able to strike the biggest audience is not really much of a factor for me. I want to make a game that I am happy with on a personal level, for the platform(s) that I see best fit for the game. Obviously pleasing the existing fanbase of the game is a factor as well. But for something that is as non essential to the new game as multi-platform support, it wouldn't be worth it to me if I were going through all the extra effort just to create it for a platform I have zero interest in (and would therefore get no enjoyment out of creating it for). I'm not even saying it could never happen, I'm just saying that at this point in time it is looking very unlikely.
I totally understand. As I said, it's your deal, and I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm just one guy.

I would still love to play SO3 on my iPad one day. :)

To add to the topic of clans. I recently started playing a game called Fantasy Online. Very similar to SO in that it's a retro graphic MMORPG. It has top-down zelda style graphics though. In this game, there are different "zones". The zones that have a town have a guild war center. The method for guild wars is pretty dull (you open the guild war panel, and it gives you a 4x4 grid that you can "invade" by clicking a button when it is vulnerable), but the effect is a similar concept. Any guild can dominate a specific zone for a certain length of time. By dominating that zone the guild gets extra bonuses such as exp boost, extra coins/drops, and faction. It gets interesting when you have multiple zones stacked up and have something like +20% exp, +15% coins, and double faction.

So it would be interesting to have a similar idea of capturing an area by some means and that clan would have control and gain whatever bonuses for a certain period of time. Something like capture points where a set amount of clan members would have to remain in an area while a bar fills. This would make for some really interesting all out Clan Vs Clan wars in a small area.