News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

V3 sprite attempts

Started by crozier, November 11, 2012, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crozier

Hey guys and gals its me, croz, and I'm here to try my best at creating some V3 sprites. Not expecting to get into the SO3 team, or be acclaimed the best spriter known to man, or anything of that matter, but I am just just doing pixelart to get better. I am hoping on going to university next year with a major in Studio Arts, and I think getting better at graphic arts will put me ahead of the game. So, any critique is gratefully appreciated, and feel free to bash me for whatever I did incorrectly.  ;)

So yeah c&c (comments/critique) would be pretty helpful.  :P

Loganvz123

WARNING: DIRECT OPINION INCOMING

• I like the second wanderers hat.
  • I dislike the bandit cover.
  • I like the bandit mask.
  • I dislike the fishbone.
  • I like the fedora, but you need to make it fold over at the back, as fedoras do. Like a curl along the back of the side.

crozier

Here is a bad guy I have been working on. Some kind of temple guardian (or whatever).

Currently it runs at 30fps, but I think I could up the frames and smooth it out so it looks nice at 60.
And here is the jumping frame (if he is ever in midair?) and a hat he drops.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Yeah I think I agree with you, Loganvz. The thing about the fish bone hat is the eye socket is a little light. I have a version where its a little nicer looking, so I'll post that once I get around to editing it completely. Not sure how I could improve the BC, but I could change the colors a little. Perhaps a purple/black bandanna on his chin area would look a little more like the original. Personally I think it looks ok, but I am probably biased towards it ;p  I'll also get around to fixing that fedora, cause I get what you mean.
And also the browser I use is making the animation look a little slow. Not sure how it is with everyone.

Loganvz123

I'm using Chrome, and it's moving ultra slow. *Opens it in Game Maker*
Edit: Yeah, in Chrome it runs at 8FPS.
Also, you don't need to edit it at all. In .net you can just half the speed of the sprite, without affecting gameplay.

TANK

It looks like you're having the same problem with walking i was having. I never did figure out how to make it look more fluid, but i want you to know you're not alone.

crozier

Well I don't know if fluidity is my sole problem, but it is probabally in conjunction (I think thats the word) with dynanicism (thats doesn't sound right but whatev'). Like the animation is kinda smooth (other than the arms) but its not dynamic enough. SO2`s graphics work well because they are both dynamic and cohessive. For instance the gs,after a big long swing, animation has the sword practically lifting the man off his feet. Yet the animation only lasts something like 10 frames. So I believe my problem would be my lack of dynanicism and realism(which contains fluidity).
And side note: I didn't sketch out my sprite/animation beforehand and didn't do my key frames of the animation first, so next time Imma do that.