News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

In game deaths

Started by SantaClaws, April 01, 2013, 01:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaClaws

Currently, I don't really like the death system in Stick online. I find people die way to much, and there is no purpose of staying alive in the game. You can die without any consequences, not lose items, exp, nothing. I bet a lot of people would be against the idea of losing items on death, but there is many alternatives to that.

One idea is to maybe lose the items that you have equipped only, so you could only lose a maximum of 2 items per say. I think the idea of losing items on death, but not all items, is a reasonable possibility. The reason I'd like to see this in game is also to give a purpose of staying alive, people die like its going out of style in Stick Online, I'd like to see more meaning to staying alive and preventing death. This could also benefit Pvp, this would make people Pvp with less powerful weapons. Eg/ Instead of using Dragoon helm/Dark Knight Helm and Inferno/Slasher/Great Sword, People would be using Knight helms/Skeleton masks and Katana/Shortsword/Whip/Hammer. But if you want to be risky, and have a risk fight, you could use one of the more powerful bet rare weapon/hat combination.

So yeah thats kind of my break down of the whole idea. I'd personally like to see this in game, and I'd think it would give the game a new angle, not trying to die constantly in fear of losing items. Anyway, if your opposed or with me let me know how you think of it  ;D

Dragx_Rage

I am going to have to disagree with losing equipped items when dying. It can take players a very long time to get some items such as the great sword which is considered a base weapon in pvp, let along items such as IS and DKH and then they would be to scared to use it in fear of losing something they worked so long and hard for to get. Take G-I-S for example, he basically spent basically his whole time at the desert grinding for a great sword until level 99 or 100, he would probably not use his great sword in pvp as he would not want to lose it. You wouldn't be able to use your best items in practice pvping or just pvping for fun incase you died and lost these items. Also, what if you won the pvp but only had a little bit of hp left and you can't turn your pvp off for a while and someone comes along and hits you once and you die and lose a good item such as DKH or slasher. This would even be a problem if there was another type of pvp alongside the normal pvp where you press another key to turn it on and off where to would lose your equipped items on death.

I think a change like this would be detrimental to stick online and take away from its USP.

11clock

QuoteCurrently, I don't really like the death system in Stick online. I find people die way to much, and there is no purpose of staying alive in the game. You can die without any consequences, not lose items, exp, nothing.

What's the problem with this, exactly?

SantaClaws

There is no purpose to stay alive. There is no fear of anything in Stick-Online, because there is absolutely no consequences or dying. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but i find this factor very boring.

11clock

Quote from: SantaClaws on April 02, 2013, 09:31:21 PM
There is no purpose to stay alive. There is no fear of anything in Stick-Online, because there is absolutely no consequences or dying. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but i find this factor very boring.

I would like to point out that there is a consequence to dying. You lose your hits and any drops you didn't pick up. There are many of us who have lost valuables by dying when trying to pick up the loot. Also, many of us have ended up getting nothing from a boss due to dying at the last few seconds.

There isn't a problem with death having almost no consequences. When you die in Super Meat Boy, you go back to the beginning of a level, but most of the levels are less than 20 seconds long. Yet this game is known to be one of the toughest games ever made.

I personally find huge consequences for death as a negative. It's one of the reasons why I stopped playing Minecraft. Death can flush hours of time down the drain and make you come to the realization that you're wasting your time. This is something that video games shouldn't do.

Another problem with a large death penalty is that it discourages experimentation. There is this book I read called Epic, and it's about a society where your wealth depends on the value of your character in a MMORPG. This RPG enforces a permadeath system, so if your character dies you can suddenly become a very poor person IRL. Because of this, almost no one in the society ventured farther than 'Newb Land,' out of fear of losing their wealth.

crozier

My opinion? Keep the current system, but when a stick figure dies, have an extremely dramatic death animation. Like you kill a stickman in a pvp, and they fall to their knees and catch fire, or something like that.

God-I-Suck

I agree, when you die, you should respawn at level 1 with no items. jk.

I think the in-game death is fair enough, like 11clock said, losing your hits and drops. Also, I don't know about you guys, but waiting for my health and stamina to regenerate again is so boring (lol).