News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

About the new Karma System (it has arrived, so I am changing the subject)

Started by Mr Pwnage, September 12, 2009, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please read THE ENTIRE post below before voting.

I love Mr Pwnage with a passion.
Spongebob for president.
What is a Pluto?

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lucifer on September 12, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
Well, according to your logic, it's a major issue to me and I'm sure some other people, that there is not enough titties on this forum.

Meiun I demand more titties.

(Joking)

The reason we post is because we see no need for Meiun to take the time to change anything. Not that it would be hard, but theres just no need. If you don't appreciate people stating their opinions, you really need learn a bit more about forums.

And er, about your example, no I wouldn't care. Infact I'd prefer it. Karma is overrated. So are post counts for that matter... Imo if both didn't exist, these forums would be better off.
I don't consider not caring an opinion...in any way. But seriously, can we cut the shit and address the topic at hand? Not trying to act all serious and shit...but I keep seeing the same people post the same sort of "I don't care" shit on topics over and over again, it's getting even older than my Walrus joke. Enough of that though, please just your thoughts on the topic. T.T
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Torch

Quote from: Mystery on September 12, 2009, 02:16:06 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on September 12, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
The reason we post is because we see no need for Meiun to take the time to change anything. Not that it would be hard, but theres just no need. If you don't appreciate people stating their opinions, you really need learn a bit more about forums.

And er, about your example, no I wouldn't care. Infact I'd prefer it. Karma is overrated. So are post counts for that matter...Imo if both didn't exist, these forums would be better off.
People do things all the time that there's no need for, but they want to do them/have them. And I do appreciate people stating their opinions, I just didn't really understand what was the point of it because you don't seem to want to be involved in this issue that much. Either way, it is annoying, but it's the least of my troubles right now.....I don't really care THAT much about it, so it's no skin off my back if it's not altered. And I do agree with you that they are overrated, but it just gets on your nerves every now and then when you see them screwed up.

EDIT: On second thought, if that 'getting rid of both of them' was an option, I would've picked that in a heartbeat.
No point in wasting Meiun's time on forum gimmicks that noone cares about when he SHOULD be working on SOv3. "whips"

Lingus

I agree with Torch and Lucifer. It is their right to post that they don't care enough about this forum functionality to bother anyone with. In essense, they're saying that they don't want it changed or want it removed. It's their opinion on the topic and it should be taken under consideration. A good thing to include in any polling is people who don't have any strong opinion on the topic either way. In this case, as mentioned, if the majority of people pick that you can determine your course of action more appropriately. If most people don't care about this, then why do anything about it?

With that said, I doubt it would be that much effort to implement a system similar to the one we had on the HO forums. It's likely that there's already an addon for this forum that is identical or very similar. In which case, changing the karma system to a reputation system should be considered.

Meiun

Implemented a new advanced reputation system. See the following topic for more info: http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=317.msg5203#new

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Meiun on September 14, 2009, 07:16:37 PM
Implemented a new advanced reputation system. See the following topic for more info: http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=317.msg5203#new
It is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to make a better one. After reading your whole post though...I am still sorta confused as to how it works. What is the difference between rep points and rep power? Maybe a little bit of a clearer explanation. Still this is great though, I'm glad you've taken the time over the past few days now to make our forum a more enjoyable one from adding some of the communities suggestions. Very much appreciated.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

ARTgames

is it just me or is other people getting this? i know the 2ed box is i disagree but it warped under the first one.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: ARTgames on September 14, 2009, 07:45:55 PM

is it just me or is other people getting this? i know the 2ed box is i disagree but it warped under the first one.
How did you even open that window in the first place? I only see how to open it by clicking the heart under somebodies name? O.o

Mystery

No, I get it the way you're actually supposed to get it. It's not that big a deal, seeing as it most likely affects nothing.
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 14, 2009, 07:48:54 PM
How did you even open that window in the first place? I only see how to open it by clicking the heart under somebodies name? O.o

That IS the only way you open it.

EDIT: Essentially, the way I see it, Rep. Power boosts how much you can change other people's rep. But you only get another point of Rep. Power once you have 20 more Rep. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Mystery on September 14, 2009, 07:56:33 PM
Oh. I thought they might have been 2 different windows. Mine comes up in a much smaller pop up next to the persons name, and it doesn't quote the post. I'm guessing that this is what is supposed to happen and ARTgames is experiencing some forum phenomena.  Maybe it has to do with your browser? Or are you using different forum themes? Just guesses though. Post it in the bugs section.

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 14, 2009, 07:59:55 PM
Oh. I thought they might have been 2 different windows. Mine comes up in a much smaller pop up next to the persons name, and it doesn't quote the post. I'm guessing that this is what is supposed to happen and ARTgames is experiencing some forum phenomena.  Maybe it has to do with your browser? Or are you using different forum themes? Just guesses though. Post it in the bugs section.
Actually, I get the same quote thing ARTgames gets. Dunno why it's different from what you're getting.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Mystery on September 14, 2009, 08:04:45 PM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 14, 2009, 07:59:55 PM
Oh. I thought they might have been 2 different windows. Mine comes up in a much smaller pop up next to the persons name, and it doesn't quote the post. I'm guessing that this is what is supposed to happen and ARTgames is experiencing some forum phenomena.  Maybe it has to do with your browser? Or are you using different forum themes? Just guesses though. Post it in the bugs section.
Actually, I get the same quote thing ARTgames gets. Dunno why it's different from what you're getting.
Here's what I'm getting:

Also I have another question...when I go to my profile, how do I see other people's comments on MY karma? Right now I can only see what I've said to other people.

EDIT: All has been fixed, and after a test with ARTgames, apparently the profile karma page displays both your actions and other peoples actions towards you, so all is well. Great new system.

ARTgames

I see now. That only happens when the hart thingy opens in a new tab/window. when i tried it just now i just the same thing pwag did.

Lingus

Looks good to me. As far as I can tell, this is exactly what I described above. Similar rep system as the HO with comments and all, it allows you to + and - someone's rep, and the amount of rep you can give depends on your rep power. Everything I wanted. +Rep to Meiun.

I'd like to know exactly how the rep power works. How is rep power based on rep points. Is it 1 power per 20 points, or something more complex? And also, how does your rep power determine how many points you can give to someone else? Is there some kind of formula it uses? Someone with 0 power wouldn't give 0 points... that doesn't make sense does it? And if rep power/points is possible to go negative, how does that work?

DarkTrinity

Im confused as hell about the rep power as Lingus was explaining...
But I think it's a huge improvement to the HO version of rep, where people randomly rep & derep for nonsensical reasons.

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on September 16, 2009, 03:24:33 PM
Looks good to me. As far as I can tell, this is exactly what I described above. Similar rep system as the HO with comments and all, it allows you to + and - someone's rep, and the amount of rep you can give depends on your rep power. Everything I wanted. +Rep to Meiun.

I'd like to know exactly how the rep power works. How is rep power based on rep points. Is it 1 power per 20 points, or something more complex? And also, how does your rep power determine how many points you can give to someone else? Is there some kind of formula it uses? Someone with 0 power wouldn't give 0 points... that doesn't make sense does it? And if rep power/points is possible to go negative, how does that work?
Quote from: DarkTrinity on September 16, 2009, 04:05:29 PM
Im confused as hell about the rep power as Lingus was explaining...
But I think it's a huge improvement to the HO version of rep, where people randomly rep & derep for nonsensical reasons.
At first glance I was a bit confused by the rep power part as well (the readme/documentation didn't give a very good explanation of much with this addon). Right now I have it set so that new members start off with 10 rep points (not sure how this carrys over to people who already exist prior to the installation of this package). Every post you do give you 1 point, and every topic you make gives you 3 points. For every 20 points you gain, you get 1 "reputation power," which then influences how much of an effect you have on other peoples reputation points when you click the heart. Also, as before, you have to have a minimum of 10 posts in order to be able to do anything with other peoples karma. Lastly, you can only karma people 5 times a day max, and must karma at least 3 other people before your allowed to come back to the same person. Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh, and almost forgot. You get another bar on your reputation meter (and new title for it when you hover your mouse over) for every 100 reputation points you have.