News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

About the new Karma System (it has arrived, so I am changing the subject)

Started by Mr Pwnage, September 12, 2009, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please read THE ENTIRE post below before voting.

I love Mr Pwnage with a passion.
Spongebob for president.
What is a Pluto?

flashmaniac

Quote from: JoEL on September 17, 2009, 03:46:59 AM
Quote from: Lucifer on September 17, 2009, 03:10:59 AM
Quote from: JoEL on September 17, 2009, 02:58:48 AM
hmm yeah, I went from 11 to -9 within a week or so and I didn't even post during that time.
Wasn't me.  ::)
Liar, I know it was.
The Lies! It was me! Jokes :P I think we can close this topic now.

Mr Pwnage

Everyone can thank Meiun for our new and flawless karma system! Seeing as this topic has been resolved, and all questions that people may have, have been provided with explanations/answers...I will do the honor of adjourning this topic. Have fun with your new system you charismatic munchkins! (Bad joke eh?)

Locked.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mr Pwnage

Unlocked for a quick question. Double posting for bump...because I actually had 2 more questions about the karma system that I feel are fairly necessary.

1) Where does it display in the karma menu that you can view on your own personal menu whether the person repped you up or down? I see a comment, but I don't see where it shows you whether they repped you up or down. Anybody know? I think this is fairly important.

2) Are you able to view other's karma menus like you could on hangout? And if so, how? I suppose this isn't absolutely necessary but I personally would like it...I won't speak for others though.

So yeah, hope somebody can clear this up.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

ARTgames

Quote from: Meiun on September 17, 2009, 01:13:51 AM
It took maybe an hour tops to get the new karma system in art, no worries. It would have only even been a few minutes if it weren't for some incompatibilities with other packages I had installed.

Meiun i meant if a conflict comes up or if this karma system is not as perfect as thought. Not the time it took you to put it up.

also Mr Pwnage i have the same questions you do. But also stop locking the topic >_<. don't close it because you want to stop talking about it. i see why now they don't give people this power on other forums.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: ARTgames on September 21, 2009, 05:57:19 PM
Quote from: Meiun on September 17, 2009, 01:13:51 AM
It took maybe an hour tops to get the new karma system in art, no worries. It would have only even been a few minutes if it weren't for some incompatibilities with other packages I had installed.

Meiun i meant if a conflict comes up or if this karma system is not as perfect as thought. Not the time it took you to put it up.

also Mr Pwnage i have the same questions you do. But also stop locking the topic >_<. don't close it because you want to stop talking about it. i see why now they don't give people this power on other forums.
Sometimes so much is lost in the translation that shit isn't legible anymore. :/

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on September 16, 2009, 05:32:11 PM
Quote from: Lingus on September 16, 2009, 03:24:33 PM
Looks good to me. As far as I can tell, this is exactly what I described above. Similar rep system as the HO with comments and all, it allows you to + and - someone's rep, and the amount of rep you can give depends on your rep power. Everything I wanted. +Rep to Meiun.

I'd like to know exactly how the rep power works. How is rep power based on rep points. Is it 1 power per 20 points, or something more complex? And also, how does your rep power determine how many points you can give to someone else? Is there some kind of formula it uses? Someone with 0 power wouldn't give 0 points... that doesn't make sense does it? And if rep power/points is possible to go negative, how does that work?
Quote from: DarkTrinity on September 16, 2009, 04:05:29 PM
Im confused as hell about the rep power as Lingus was explaining...
But I think it's a huge improvement to the HO version of rep, where people randomly rep & derep for nonsensical reasons.
At first glance I was a bit confused by the rep power part as well (the readme/documentation didn't give a very good explanation of much with this addon). Right now I have it set so that new members start off with 10 rep points (not sure how this carrys over to people who already exist prior to the installation of this package). Every post you do give you 1 point, and every topic you make gives you 3 points. For every 20 points you gain, you get 1 "reputation power," which then influences how much of an effect you have on other peoples reputation points when you click the heart. Also, as before, you have to have a minimum of 10 posts in order to be able to do anything with other peoples karma. Lastly, you can only karma people 5 times a day max, and must karma at least 3 other people before your allowed to come back to the same person. Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh, and almost forgot. You get another bar on your reputation meter (and new title for it when you hover your mouse over) for every 100 reputation points you have.
I'm still curious about how much rep power affects how much reputation you can add/remove. Can you shed any light on that?

Mystery

Quote from: Lingus on September 22, 2009, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: Meiun on September 16, 2009, 05:32:11 PM
Quote from: Lingus on September 16, 2009, 03:24:33 PM
Looks good to me. As far as I can tell, this is exactly what I described above. Similar rep system as the HO with comments and all, it allows you to + and - someone's rep, and the amount of rep you can give depends on your rep power. Everything I wanted. +Rep to Meiun.

I'd like to know exactly how the rep power works. How is rep power based on rep points. Is it 1 power per 20 points, or something more complex? And also, how does your rep power determine how many points you can give to someone else? Is there some kind of formula it uses? Someone with 0 power wouldn't give 0 points... that doesn't make sense does it? And if rep power/points is possible to go negative, how does that work?
Quote from: DarkTrinity on September 16, 2009, 04:05:29 PM
Im confused as hell about the rep power as Lingus was explaining...
But I think it's a huge improvement to the HO version of rep, where people randomly rep & derep for nonsensical reasons.
At first glance I was a bit confused by the rep power part as well (the readme/documentation didn't give a very good explanation of much with this addon). Right now I have it set so that new members start off with 10 rep points (not sure how this carrys over to people who already exist prior to the installation of this package). Every post you do give you 1 point, and every topic you make gives you 3 points. For every 20 points you gain, you get 1 "reputation power," which then influences how much of an effect you have on other peoples reputation points when you click the heart. Also, as before, you have to have a minimum of 10 posts in order to be able to do anything with other peoples karma. Lastly, you can only karma people 5 times a day max, and must karma at least 3 other people before your allowed to come back to the same person. Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh, and almost forgot. You get another bar on your reputation meter (and new title for it when you hover your mouse over) for every 100 reputation points you have.
I'm still curious about how much rep power affects how much reputation you can add/remove. Can you shed any light on that?
The way I see it, if you have 0 Rep Power, your adding reputation once adds 1 rep. If you have 1 Rep Power, you give 2 at once. 2 Rep Power, 3 at once, etc.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

JoEL

Can we still remove reputation from people? If not that's lame, but then mr_pwnage would go cry again...

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: JoEL on September 22, 2009, 10:22:13 PM
Can we still remove reputation from people? If not that's lame, but then mr_pwnage would go cry again...
That wasn't necessary nor accurate.

JoEL

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 22, 2009, 11:11:46 PM
Quote from: JoEL on September 22, 2009, 10:22:13 PM
That wasn't necessary nor accurate.

So we can remove reputation? oh and thanks for releasing me of some karma, hate that stuff.

Lingus

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lingus on September 24, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
Joel, I believe the "I disagree" option would remove rep.
He knows...he derepped me too after I derepped him... T.T

It's all good though.

Lingus

I have another question. How do you see comments on other people's rep? To me, this is crucial to validating someone else's reputation standing. If I look at someone and they have negative rep and I go and view the comments that other people put when they derepped them and see a bunch of flaming nonsense, then I know to disregard that person's negative rep. Same with positive rep. As well as someone who only has that much rep because of post count (I personally don't think post count should add to rep... that's why you show post count as well as rep... they're two entirely different indicators of the person's standing.)

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lingus on September 24, 2009, 04:02:35 PM
I have another question. How do you see comments on other people's rep? To me, this is crucial to validating someone else's reputation standing. If I look at someone and they have negative rep and I go and view the comments that other people put when they derepped them and see a bunch of flaming nonsense, then I know to disregard that person's negative rep. Same with positive rep. As well as someone who only has that much rep because of post count (I personally don't think post count should add to rep... that's why you show post count as well as rep... they're two entirely different indicators of the person's standing.)
Currently you can't I think...cause when Artgames sent me his reputation page link, it came up saying I needed to be a moderator to view it. Though I completely agree, I think I posted somewhere up there about being able to view others pages. It is defiantly needed. Also about post count adding to rep...I don't have a problem with it...but if we have that I think when we + or - karma somebody it should have much more of an effect than just 1 because they get it right back in one post. Maybe something like...if your rep power is 0, you affect others karma by 3, at rep 1 you affect others by 5, rep power 2 you affect others by 10, rep 3 you affect others by 13, rep power 4 you affect others by 15, rep power 5 you affect others by 20...and so forth. So its like, +3+2+5+3+2+5+3+2+5 etc. Idk, just an idea.

Lingus

If you did it that way you'd have to change how many rep points it takes to get another rep power. If someone could give 10 rep points after getting only 20 rep points (1 rep power) then they could drastically affect the rep power of others. In my opinion, the more logical and simple solution would be to make post count not affect reputation at all. As I said, it is an entirely different indicator of someone's standing. If they have a lot of posts, that's one thing, but to have a good reputation it should only be determined by people upping their rep. This way someone can look at post count AND rep to determine another person's standing in the forum.

And as far as I'm concerned, adding the comments feature in does next to no good unless other people can view it. It's all well and good for the person receiving the comments to view it, and if they receive reputation with a bad comment on it (like, "cause I felt like it" or "cause they're ghey") then it should be taken up with a forum moderator and removed. But, for my own personal preference, I would rather look at someone's rep and see why they have the rep they do. This way I can make my own judgement as to whether their rep is deserved. Without that, they could still have been rep spammed and I wouldn't know it.

Btw, I don't mean to complain. I'm just stating my opinion. It's not necessary to do any of the above. The system in place is already better than before. But if implemented, it would be a very effective rep system imo.