News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Your Creations

Started by Delicious, September 14, 2009, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Quote from: venuse on January 31, 2010, 08:34:52 PM
made a small 8bit character. semi mega man thing

It does not feel 8bit to me but it looks really nice.

Chaos

@Art:  That's really the beauty of it.  It IS.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Well having the 8bit stile is diffrent from doing something cool under the 8bit restraints. but idk. just make more venuse.

venuse

the problem ive encountered trying to stay is within the nes limitations for sprites is that there are many different opinions exactly how many colors can be used on the sprites based on the nes limitations, i dont mean the tiles thats 4. some say 4 colors some say 5. however through my scanning of different games some games have all the way up to 7, which isnt supposed to be possible were as some games like journey to silius the main character sprite has 6. also the pallete im using is one that i found off a website and then altered by taking the pallete directly from the nes Roms ive found. i will say some of those old time nes spriters were truly creative with what they had.

ARTgames

Thinking about it i think i could see this in a game near the neses death to the snes. They graphics then were getting really good then.

edit:
venuse there a lot more 8bit systems than the nes. But if thats what your going for ok.

Chaos

Quote from: venuse on February 01, 2010, 07:11:11 PM
the problem ive encountered trying to stay is within the nes limitations for sprites is that there are many different opinions exactly how many colors can be used on the sprites based on the nes limitations, i dont mean the tiles thats 4. some say 4 colors some say 5. however through my scanning of different games some games have all the way up to 7, which isnt supposed to be possible were as some games like journey to silius the main character sprite has 6. also the pallete im using is one that i found off a website and then altered by taking the pallete directly from the nes Roms ive found. i will say some of those old time nes spriters were truly creative with what they had.

I believe that's because those sprites were actually two different sprites stacked on top of each other.  Which is why they are so tall and why they have more than 4 colours.  Yeah, I've heard of it using 5 sometimes, arguably white doesn't count, I don't know.  
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Quote from: Chaos on February 01, 2010, 07:30:10 PM
Quote from: venuse on February 01, 2010, 07:11:11 PM

I believe that's because those sprites were actually two different sprites stacked on top of each other.  Which is why they are so tall and why they have more than 4 colours.  Yeah, I've heard of it using 5 sometimes, arguably white doesn't count, I don't know.  
I think that is fair. If it was used i dont see how that would not be authentic. or in other words if a real nes can show it then go for it.

venuse

anyways im mostly doing it for fun and trying to learn how to use colors better and maybe better color creation. also ya i just read about that chaos about the stacked sprites.

ARTgames

venuse im getting a 403 forbidden on your "a small 8 bit still tile set trying to stay with in nes limits."

venuse

deleted it from imageshack

crozier

Quote from: Forum on January 31, 2010, 08:56:51 PM
Quote from: crozier on January 31, 2010, 08:47:53 PM
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/113578-pond-skater
my gm game for a contest.
All made out of text. Please rate and play if you have the time.
Any thoughts?
Your game was fun i got past first lvl now heres where im stuck now

large image removed

Try going up, left, down, down, left, up, left, left, up, down, right.
:D

Also thanks pinball. Glad you liked it.
As for the music I am pretty sure it loops. But sometimes it just takes a little while to see that its over.

Pat

Very nice stuff there Venuse!
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Titan

*Delete This*
Livin' in a lonely world.

Titan

Heres a map I created.
Go easy because I don't have much pratice at this.

Livin' in a lonely world.

Jake

Quote from: Titan on February 03, 2010, 09:32:06 PM

Heres a map I created.
Go easy because I don't have much pratice at this.

Looks amazing dude, except the grass needs some texture. But yeah, I really like it.