News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Your Creations

Started by Delicious, September 14, 2009, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

venuse

8bit can refer to a few things either the erra of the machine or the capabilities in a easy to understand way. example the nes was 8bit, and the sega genesis was 16 bit actually16/32bit if you want to be technical, which is simple to understand and also refers to the type of processor and architecture it used. mostly when 8bit is used most people think nes since it is the most know but their were other systems that were 8bit but some had different set color palletes, for example the commodore 64 home computer system was 8bit.

as for ness color and etc, well ill just post some of the info i have come across from other peeopl.
Background tiles are made from 4 8x8 tiles.  This means that you do actually have room to change up the scenery, as each 16x16 tile can be made up of any combination of 8x8 tiles.  The trick is that each 8x8 tile that makes up a 16x16 tile must share the same palette.  You can only have 4 palettes for tiles (non-sprites), each consisting of 4 colors, so each 16x16 tile needs to *only* have colors included in one palette.

Sprites are a bit different.  *Many* NES games, even simpler looking ones like MegaMan, actually use multiple sprites for each character.  Mega Man himself has light blue, dark blue, black, white, and transparent (yes it counts as a color).  This face is actually a separate sprite from his body, and the code matches them up in the game so they appear to be the same character

there is also a certain number of colors that can be on a single scan line but im not sure of that.

Chaos

Quote from: venuse on February 24, 2010, 10:59:13 PM
there is also a certain number of colors that can be on a single scan line but im not sure of that.

I can fill in that info.

You are only able to have so many SPRITES on a single scan line at any given time on the NES.  To get around this restriction, developers used the technique known as 'flickering'.  This is where the sprites flash and flicker, so that it can 'cheat' its way over the max sprites limitation by only having some of the sprites on screen at a given time and just alternating frames of when they are on screen.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

JoEL

Quote from: ARTgames on February 24, 2010, 10:06:55 PM
how?

Because to me, it's wrong. But venuse cleared everything up for me.

I can fill in that info.

You are only able to have so many SPRITES on a single scan line at any given time on the NES.  To get around this restriction, developers used the technique known as 'flickering'.  This is where the sprites flash and flicker, so that it can 'cheat' its way over the max sprites limitation by only having some of the sprites on screen at a given time and just alternating frames of when they are on screen.

That's very cool, thanks for telling us that. I like learning things like this, it's very interesting.

Delicious

Quote from: Chaos on February 24, 2010, 11:14:32 PM

I can fill in that info.

No kidding? That's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. :)
<3

ARTgames

Quote from: JoEL on February 25, 2010, 12:21:37 AM
how?

I don't know why. he said the same thing i did.

venuse

yes there is a limit to the number of sprites you can have on a scan line at one time but also the number of colors you can have per scanline.

wikipedia info on this
The system has an available color palette of 48 colors and 5 grays. Red, green and blue can be individually darkened at specific screen regions using carefully timed code. Up to 24 colors may be used on one scan line
A total of 64 sprites may be displayed onscreen at a given time without reloading sprites mid-screen. Sprites may be either 8 pixels by 8 pixels, or 8 pixels by 16 pixels, although the choice must be made globally and it affects all sprites. Up to eight sprites may be present on one scanline, using a flag to indicate when additional sprites are to be dropped. This flag allows the software to rotate sprite priorities, increasing maximum amount of sprites, but typically causing flicker.[40]

however i still have no clue what the hell a scan line is.

ARTgames

you know how on those old crt tvs they have those electron guns at the back that they fire to light up the fluorescent screen at the front of the tv? Well as the big eltro magnets move the beam from left to right (or right to left, hmmm not sure) on your tv that is a scan line.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Refresh_scan.jpg

see that line with the gradient of light behind it. That is your scan line. 

These new lcds dont have that. But back then all the tv's had that and when your making a game you can use that to your advantage because that line takes time to move. It seems fast to your eye but to a comp you can still do a lot of stuff in that time.

Delicious

<3

Pat

Quote from: Chaos on February 24, 2010, 11:14:32 PM
To get around this restriction, developers used the technique known as 'flickering'.
Nostalgia!
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

JoEL

Quote from: ARTgames on February 25, 2010, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: JoEL on February 25, 2010, 12:21:37 AM
how?

I don't know why. he said the same thing i did.

He had a better explanation, you didn't have enough information to help me understand. So technically he didn't say the same thing you did.

Delicious

Quote from: Pinball on March 01, 2010, 11:55:57 AM
-Modeled a M1 Abrams Tank-

Nice work.
I honestly wish I was capable of doing 3d models like this. I really want to learn, but I get frustrated considering I don't know the tools all that well nor anything about modeling. This would look great in a army game, or if you could do original vehicles/buildings/soldiers you can make some-sort of scifi game with gorgeous graphics. What program is this made in?
Keep it up.
<3

tehrozzy

Believe it or not I made this today. Got the idea partially from the MW2 Juggernaughts some of their crotches say 'Get Sum' and I came up with this.

Ciro

Currently working on this, SHOULD be done by tonight, since it's due tomorrow for art.

GOD it takes bloody forever to draw....

Done in Ink pen, no pencil.