News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Your Creations

Started by Delicious, September 14, 2009, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seifer

Quote from: Delicious on August 01, 2010, 03:49:20 AM
Damn Jake, that's insane. Keep at it!

Here's something I've been working on for a bit, it's still really rough (still in it's sketching stage) and will undergo tons of construction... Maybe I will be able to finish a pixel illustration this time. Any criticism or suggestions are welcome.

I've seen that tree before...

Torch

Here's something I've been working on for a bit, it's still really rough (still in it's sketching stage) and will undergo tons of construction... Maybe I will be able to finish a pixel illustration this time. Any criticism or suggestions are welcome.

That looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book.

Aqua

Quote from: Jake on August 02, 2010, 02:34:50 AM
Hi my name is Jake, I like to spam awesome 3d renders everywhere I go, including this new one.

Isn't he cute?
Awwww, so cute... I want to shoot it :D

It's really neat, but I don't see what it has to add to the scene, unless you plan on adding people too.
~Aqua

ARTgames

What did you use to make that an how much did you pay? Jake.

T-Rok

Quote from: Aqua on August 02, 2010, 11:23:52 AM
Hi my name is Jake, I like to spam awesome 3d renders everywhere I go, including this new one.

Isn't he cute?
Awwww, so cute... I want to shoot it :D

It's really neat, but I don't see what it has to add to the scene, unless you plan on adding people too.
~Aqua

You've never played a video game where your all alone and then bam! A random tiny circular robot appears and totally has nothing to do with the storyline? xD

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Aqua on August 01, 2010, 08:37:25 PM

I suggest a secondary light source, a slight luminosity around the edges. Often things won't be that dark (though I don't know what you're aiming for).
Yeah, it does tend to make things look more 3D having a slight luminosity on the shadow side, but seeing how it's a WIP, I'm not gonna say anything about it

I think there should be more clouds in the background, the top at least seems a bit dry. Maybe move the clouds up and put a thunderhead in the back?
I think the clouds are good where they are, but maybe add a bird or 2 near the top? Not saying the thunderhead is a bad idea, just giving more ideas.

The arc carving on the root doesn't seem to line up with the shape of the root.
No idea which arc on which root you're talking about... x.x

The picture only has two focuses- midground (tree/cliff) and background (clouds). Hard to explain, but it seems unbalanced.
I guess it all depends on what else he's planning to add. To T-rok, generally, pictures are "theoretically" supposed to have a foreground, mid-ground & background. I would say the tree is more foreground than mid-ground though... I'd say there is no mid-ground really, but as the tree looks to me like it's on a cliff that a mid-ground is kinda hard to put in.. unless he put like, mountains in the back...

~Aqua

Anyways, I really love the bark on the tree, looks like tiles or scales... And I know it's gonna be even more amazing when your done, because all your artwork is >_>
So hurry up and finish! I wanna see it dooone!! ^_^

Jake

Quote from: T-Rok on August 02, 2010, 03:06:34 PM
You've never played a video game where your all alone and then bam! A random tiny circular robot appears and totally has nothing to do with the storyline? xD
Except this robot matches the storyline perfectly, because it's the future (where cute tiny robots are common). It cleans stuff, performs tasks, and tries to brighten peoples day.

Mr Pwnage

Hello. Welcome to the enrichment center. Commence the enlightenment of KICKING YOUR ASS.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Delicious

Jake: Awesome robot, really adds to the environment imo.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. This tree is made without reference, however I'm sure there are tons of images where a tree is shaped similar to this.

Quote from: Aqua on August 01, 2010, 08:37:25 PM

I suggest a secondary light source, a slight luminosity around the edges. Often things won't be that dark (though I don't know what you're aiming for). I think there should be more clouds in the background, the top at least seems a bit dry. Maybe move the clouds up and put a thunderhead in the back? The arc carving on the root doesn't seem to line up with the shape of the root.
The picture only has two focuses- midground (tree/cliff) and background (clouds). Hard to explain, but it seems unbalanced.
~Aqua
Thanks for the criticism, Aqua.

The secondary light source idea is good, however where will this light source be coming from? It'll look odd having one without anything creating the light. The scene itself is fairly dark, the only light source is flowing from the top left which normally creates a darker shadow from the opposite side; so yes, "things" are often that dark. I'm not focusing on the background quite yet, however I do plan on making it more fun to look at without drawing attention from the tree.

The reason why there are only two focuses is simply because there is only a mid-ground and background in the image... Not sure how that'll make it seem off balance, since I centered the main focus (That being the tree).

Anyways, I just did a small paint-over of whatever I thought could be improved... I'm working on the leaves, though due to the size of the tree, I'm not sure how to approach it. Obviously the leaves wont be nearly that large, I'm thinking of doing something similar to what is seen on Boktai. Remember, I'm still just messing with it and finding out what suits it best.

<3

Chaos

Quote from: Delicious on August 03, 2010, 03:56:39 AM
The secondary light source idea is good, however where will this light source be coming from? It'll look odd having one without anything creating the light. 

A lantern hanging on one of the branches, mayhaps?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Delicious

Quote from: Chaos on August 03, 2010, 04:39:40 AM
Quote from: Delicious on August 03, 2010, 03:56:39 AM
The secondary light source idea is good, however where will this light source be coming from? It'll look odd having one without anything creating the light. 

A lantern hanging on one of the branches, mayhaps?
Not bad, however lanterns are man-made and I want this tree to be undiscovered. Perhaps the treasure could glow? Thus the tree will gain a lightsource. A lantern would be fairly small in the scene, considering the size of the tree.
<3

Jake

Honestly Delicious, one light source is good. Any other light should be as the result of indirect illumination from the ground and sky, but that's really not necessary. I personally like the amount of contrast it has.

Aqua

Pulled from pixel joint, 5th top rated.
1 light source can be amazing, but 2 really makes things interesting.
~Aqua

Delicious

Thanks Jake. I'll just go along with it and see what happens, though.  ;)

<3

EpicPhailure

Maybe a glowing moss growing on the trunk of the tree.

Although it doesn't really fit with the setting. To me, it looks like the tree is in a valley, and glowing moss is usually found in cavernous areas.