News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Forum posting bug

Started by Lingus, September 24, 2009, 05:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberzleet

Not to be rude or anything, but IE8 is the most shitty internet browser that i know of.
There is shittier, but I do not like IE8.
Solve to problem: At least, get firefox, google chrome, or some other browser.
**** to IE8
Bandits

Scotty

And those remarks would be exactly why Lingus said not to bash browsers.

I'm not going to say my views are any different, but that's the beauty of web development.  You can't concentrate on one browser, so you need to poor over hours and hours of work to get them compatible with every common browser.  Doesn't matter if it is IE6, 7, 8, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Kopete, even cell phones.  Any developer worth his weight can develop websites that work and look relatively the same in each.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on September 27, 2009, 07:08:19 PM
Quote from: Meiun on September 24, 2009, 08:39:54 PM
As people stated earlier, I'm pretty sure it's more of an issue SMF compatibility with certain browsers, not the browsers themselves (not that it makes a big difference either way).

This is not an SMF compatibility issue, this is a problem with IE8.  IE8 has a well known issue dealing with <textarea> objects in webpages, and it's pasted all over Google.  A bug was reported to Microsoft regarding this issue, and there hasn't been any workarounds/resolutions as of yet it appears:

http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=432377

I could think of a couple of Javascript workarounds that are possible, but nothing that is worth the effort, as this bug will surely be resolved, and it would just be a wasted effort.

EDIT: I found a CSS Hack that might potentially fix the problem.  I'm gonna give it a go on another team of mine's forum and see if it yields a resolution, if so, I will let you all know.

Does an overwhelming amount of genius just radiate from your body or something?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Lingus

Scott, I believe I posted a link to a page that has a CSS hack on it. Would that be the same one you found?

And btw, uberzleet, thanks for your oh so helpful suggestion... >.>

ARTgames

did compatibility view work for you? the one meiun said? I just tried it and it worked for me. its under the "tools" drop down box. to the right of the tabs. (I'm running under defalt everything on IE)

Its also appears right next to the addres bar between it and the refresh button on some web pages. It looks like a broken piece of paper. Just click that.

Lingus

Compatibility mode seems to work on my laptop. On this workstation I'm using now it doesn't have it. I believe it was implemented in a recent update to IE8 and I have yet to download that on this workstation. The funny thing is, now that I'm testing it, it's not doing it on this workstation...

ARTgames

aw computers. So complex it seems they have a mind of its own. Also is your workstation at work? They might have done something to it.

Lingus

Yea, no I'm pretty sure it just needs the update. If I were to click the little yellow shield with an exclamation point that's sitting in my system tray right now, I'd probably have compatibility mode.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on September 28, 2009, 03:45:36 PM
Scott, I believe I posted a link to a page that has a CSS hack on it. Would that be the same one you found?

And btw, uberzleet, thanks for your oh so helpful suggestion... >.>

I have seen both of those links, and I get the general idea of what the bug is.  I can replicate the issue just fine with another SMF forum, but I can seem to get it to cooperate when trying to adjust the styling and cols of the textareas.  I'm going to keep trying tonight and see if I can get any better results.

Aqua

By the way, I'd noticed this a long time ago (just like you all) and also noticed that this bug does not affect the quick reply box. I also noticed (as stated) that IE8 is the issue- I was quite upset when my dad installed it as it happened at the same time as a major Vista update which screwed my GM Pro up resulting in me buying a new key. But, I'm just restating the spoken other than the quick reply thing.

Scotty

Just as a note, I haven't checked the quick reply yet, but the issue seems to arise when IE8 has to parse a texarea object with a set cols variable, as well as a percentage based width CSS value.  So long as both exist, it seems to throw off IE8, and causes said issue when the page is loaded, remove one, and problem solved.  I've gone about testing this theory on another SMF board without luck.  I will have to sit down tomorrow when I get back to Cali, and see if I can distinguish the differences to see if there is any other differences other than those two, and see if I can fix the issue.  I'm sure SMF will release a hotfix for this eventually, but they are probably running into the same issues as I am, and are trying to solve the "wtf" variable that comes with web development and styling  :P

EDIT: and thanks Aqua for bringing up that astute observation, that gives me something to compare to!  Oh the joy of making web-based applications cross-browser compliant!