News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Warning Fake S.O3 E-Mail

Started by Danimal, November 29, 2009, 01:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yottabyte

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

mikkelet

You guys are great: first, I make a mistake by running the file. I get flamed. Then I state my opinion on who sent it. I get flamed even more..

So congratulations, Lucifer and Chaos, you both failed.

Jake

Quote from: mikkelet on November 30, 2009, 12:27:09 PM
You guys are great: first, I make a mistake by running the file. I get flamed. Then I state my opinion on who sent it. I get flamed even more..

Some members can be a bit harsh. You said something very obvious, so it's not really surprising to see them jump down your throat.

Lucifer

<3

Riserva

Haha, just make Meiun's donor address safe, then if it appears unsafe, never open the E-mail. :)

yottabyte

Just telling you guys, anyone with basic coding knowledge could send a fake email from any address. I could send you an email from if I want to, for example.

But the guy that sent this e-mail probably doesn't have much coding knowledge, just a newb that want's attention.

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Meiun

There are generaly ways to verify senders. But this is why I also stated that you should never download anything SO related from a site other than this one, or from an attachment.

Chaos

Coming from the guy who downloaded and ran the extremely suspicious program from the extremely suspicious e-mail, I suppose you'd be the expert on fail.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Aqua

Guys. This forum has a PM system.

Meiun, maybe you should make that more visible? New people won't have a clue about security issues like these. Maybe have a topic on security to go with 'What is Stick Online?' and 'How to access donor server'?
~Aqua

scsox

Aqua

Quote from: scsox on November 30, 2009, 10:54:48 PM

I got one also.
Point A. No offense, but I doubt that anyone has scsox on their buddy list. Then again, he's quite the community target.
Point B. His email is also shown on the forums, publicly.
Point C. His email was generated.
~Aqua

ARTgames

Quote from: Meiun on November 29, 2009, 09:29:39 PM
Has anyone confirmed the existence of a virus in this with any antivirus software? Scanning the original files themselves do not seem to show any threat of a virus (based on scans by avast, Windows Defender, Housecall, and a couple others). However, I would not doubt that infection perhaps only occurs after you run the file. If anyone who has done so or got any virus alerts please let me know.

QuoteAs far as the file.  I've actually gone ahead an ran it under a controlled environment, and so far as I can tell, the aim of the program is to crash the computer.  I'm running further checks to see if a virus was in fact installed on my computer, but so far, I haven't discovered anything that would classify it as a virus.  It was built using Game Maker, that much is certain.  In fact, if one were to stumble upon it, at first glance, it could almost look as though a legitimate Stick Online client.  As far actual damages done, well past the initial attempt of it trying to crash your computer, I can't determine any further damages done at the moment.

I guess that debunks my theory on it was just some one trying to get a quick buck. I thought this was popping up on peoples scanners.

QuoteAll people that got it can see the other people that the email had been sent to. I suggest as many of you people that the email was sent to get together and create a list of all the people that each of you have on your MSN buddy lists. I'd imagine that the sender would most likely be buddies with all of you (possibly not, but worth a shot). Could at the least narrow it down if he did indeed use a list of people on his MSN.

Quote from: Meiun on November 30, 2009, 02:25:43 PM
There are generaly ways to verify senders. But this is why I also stated that you should never download anything SO related from a site other than this one, or from an attachment.

really good thinking. I think you need to put that last bit in a place ware new people can see it.

But non the less this does feel like a prank and the original crater probably just sitting back in looking at this topic in his enjoyment. >_< Maybe this should not be discussed in public. idk

Meiun

Pretty sure this topic has gone on far enough. If anyone has any further concern about anything please just email us or PM me.