News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

v0.0223 Startup Glitch

Started by LeGuy, January 08, 2010, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

When I started up Stick Online today, it began to go through the normal process of patching itself for the newest update. After the patch completed, it closed and restarted itself. The familiar, white Jester-font Loading... box appeared as usual, but when the game actual started, I received this error message, and the game closed.

I tried using the link I got in the account-reactivation e-mail to directly download the new update, but it showed the same message. I understand that this means that the game can't connect to the Stick Online website to check if the current version is the same as the latest update, and it closes automatically.

Since my internet connection is working, and the Stick Online website is online, I can only assume that the problem lies within the code of the new update. However, I haven't noticed any topics pointing out the error, so either my computer is experiencing some connection problem or the code simply has a glitch.

Sooo, I have two questions.
1.) Is anyone else having this problem?
2.) If not, what do you recommend for solving it?

Thanks in advance.

Whee!

Scotty

What time and timezone did this happen for you?  I noticed this afternoon my iPhone was getting buggy with me and the site when I was bored in the DMV.  It may have been that the site was down.  Was this persistent, did you only try once?  Typically, with this web host, their down-times are very minimal unless they predict it to be longer (typically a matter of seconds).

Likely problem, was a bad connection with the web server.  All the update data is held on the web server.  If it can't connect to the web server, no update, you get that error message.

LeGuy

I'd say it was about 11:30 PM EST. After noting the problem, I immediately checked the website, but, needless to say, it was up.

And, yes, I have tried multiple times.
Whee!

Lingus

Quote from: LeGuy on January 08, 2010, 12:00:13 AMSince my internet connection is working, and the Stick Online website is online, I can only assume that the problem lies within the code of the new update. However, I haven't noticed any topics pointing out the error, so either my computer is experiencing some connection problem or the code simply has a glitch.

This doesn't make sense considering no one else seems to have the problem (I myself have downloaded the update successfully). And also because you haven't actually downloaded the new update... So your issue can't be related to the new version since you don't even have it yet.

What version of windows are you on? Are you using an admin account? I know there is an issue with modifying files if you are not using an admin account.

LeGuy

Quote from: Lingus on January 08, 2010, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: LeGuy on January 08, 2010, 12:00:13 AMSince my internet connection is working, and the Stick Online website is online, I can only assume that the problem lies within the code of the new update. However, I haven't noticed any topics pointing out the error, so either my computer is experiencing some connection problem or the code simply has a glitch.

This doesn't make sense considering no one else seems to have the problem (I myself have downloaded the update successfully). And also because you haven't actually downloaded the new update... So your issue can't be related to the new version since you don't even have it yet.

What version of windows are you on? Are you using an admin account? I know there is an issue with modifying files if you are not using an admin account.

1.) Vista.
2.) Nope, not an admin. But updating files has always worked perfectly until now.

Additionally, you appear to have misunderstood me - yes, I do have the new update. The previous version's updating abilities were completely functional, and instead of showing me an error message, it patched itself to the version that I'm having problems with - the current one. The latest patch's update server connection mechanics seem to not work on my computer, however, it works on the computers of others.

I'm at quite a loss for what to do. Hm.
Whee!

Meiun

I can assure you that nothing has changed at all in how updates are performed, or in any of the code or procedure that handles updates. Not sure why it would suddenly stop working, hrmmm.

Lingus

Quote from: LeGuy on January 10, 2010, 12:27:36 AMAdditionally, you appear to have misunderstood me - yes, I do have the new update.
Got it. I did misunderstand. Sorry about that.

LeGuy

Bump.

Well, coincidentally, it's working now. I removed McAfee from my computer a few days ago because it makes my computer incredibly slow and it blocks all sort of harmless operations - which, turns out, included Stick Online v0.0223. Why this particular version is incompatible I have no idea. But, that doesn't matter anymoar.

Problem solved. :P
Whee!

Meiun

Quote from: LeGuy on February 01, 2010, 10:31:52 PM
Bump.

Well, coincidentally, it's working now. I removed McAfee from my computer a few days ago because it makes my computer incredibly slow and it blocks all sort of harmless operations - which, turns out, included Stick Online v0.0223. Why this particular version is incompatible I have no idea. But, that doesn't matter anymoar.

Problem solved. :P
McAfee is shit, so makes sense :P

tehrozzy

Norton SONAR thinks stick online runs illegal operations since version 0.0222 but SONAR is shit i stopped it anyway. Seriously SONAR does jack shit other then waste CPU and RAM

sly 3 4 me

When I had gotten a rootkit on my computer Norton SONAR did not do anything about it. Aside from not blocking it, the rootkit turned off the Sonar and froze Norton when it was attempted to be turned on. It simply gave me a notification that a "downloader" was found. Soon after the Sonar turned off and everything went horribly. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather have an antivirus that can verify something to a much larger scale than "downloader" and do something about it. I'm using Eset and haven't had any problems since then.

It's nice that you were able to get it working though, McAfee doesn't sound like it was able to do anything right for you.  ;)

LeGuy

Yeah, someone needs to give Norton a swift kick in the butt for making such a crappy, CPU-hogging product.
Whee!

Mystery

This doesn't make sense considering no one else seems to have the problem.
Actually, I'm having the same issue, albeit with a slightly different error message. I got McAfee as well after I deleted Norton, which is even worse. I'm going to try deleting it and see if that's the issue. It's not really a big deal since I've been looking for a new anti-virus protector because McAfee slows down the computer..
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Mystery on March 13, 2010, 05:07:39 PM
This doesn't make sense considering no one else seems to have the problem.
Actually, I'm having the same issue, albeit with a slightly different error message. I got McAfee as well after I deleted Norton, which is even worse. I'm going to try deleting it and see if that's the issue. It's not really a big deal since I've been looking for a new anti-virus protector because McAfee slows down the computer..

May I suggest Avast!.

Meiun

I second Avast. The free version is far better than the paid version of both Mcafee and Norton.