News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

What do you want to be/do when you grow up?

Started by God-I-Suck, April 08, 2010, 07:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DivineLegend

i am striving for a nuclear or aerospace engineer as i took calc, was easy, and loved physics when i took that as well. right now though, i work in the meat department of my neighborhood grocery store. it will give me many life lessons that i will carry with me though.

venuse

i dont really know what i want to be, most of the time when i think about being something of importance i just lack the interest to pursue it.

crozier

Like many of the rest I want to do something with video games. I much prefer graphics since I can't code worth crap.

HamsterPants

When I was growing up, my dream was to become a superhero.

Now that I'm a grown man, I know that it's not possible to be super, I can choose between being myself, or drowning in a sea of despair.
I choose to be myself, and to believe in myself.

Pat

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 10, 2010, 04:40:57 AM
I know that it's not possible to be super
Why not dedicate your life to discover a way to do this?
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Pat on April 10, 2010, 05:10:23 AM
I had already considered that.
But upon my increasing understanding of humanity, I have concluded that it will accomplish nothing.
Power can go both ways, if I did become super, somebody would have to oppose me in the same way.
Not to mention, superpowers are far too tempting for human beings to manage individually, imagine if you had the ability to become invisible, surely you could get away with just about anything right? And with little to no consequences too.
Power is a very dangerous thing, it is greater than a single human being.

Delicious

Ah when I was little I dreamt of being a super hero and my cousin would be my side-kick. We even drew up what our costumes would look like and went as far as to make masks and costumes out of paper and tape it together and stick it on ourselves. We tried our best to gain these powers by focusing our minds on objects and trying to move them but it would last a good hour and we would then try and do it again next time he or I came over. It's pretty funny, though at the time we were only like 6 years old and didn't know any better.
<3

Mystery

I had originally striven to be a software/game designer and coder, but somewhere along the line(in recent years) I chose to possibly do that on the side if I could and pursue engineering instead. Art was another choice, but that quickly became one of many hobbies.

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 10, 2010, 05:18:46 AM
But upon my increasing understanding of humanity, I have concluded that it will accomplish nothing.
Power can go both ways, if I did become super, somebody would have to oppose me in the same way.
Not to mention, superpowers are far too tempting for human beings to manage individually, imagine if you had the ability to become invisible, surely you could get away with just about anything right? And with little to no consequences too.
Invisibility isn't the strongest power I could think of. It has limits, such as the fact that infrared scanners could easily pick you up, and you can easily be heard if you aren't careful.. Besides, that could become a possibility in the future. Look at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/03/14/army-uniform.htm

It's nowhere near done, but like they said in the article, it's "not science fiction".
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Mystery on April 10, 2010, 05:19:04 PM
I had originally striven to be a software/game designer and coder, but somewhere along the line(in recent years) I chose to possibly do that on the side if I could and pursue engineering instead. Art was another choice, but that quickly became one of many hobbies.

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 10, 2010, 05:18:46 AM
Invisibility isn't the strongest power I could think of. It has limits, such as the fact that infrared scanners could easily pick you up, and you can easily be heard if you aren't careful.. Besides, that could become a possibility in the future. Look at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/03/14/army-uniform.htm

It's nowhere near done, but like they said in the article, it's "not science fiction".
I already know all about that stuff.
But still, you seem to be missing the point entirely.

Quote from: Delicious on April 10, 2010, 04:05:33 PM
We tried our best to gain these powers by focusing our minds on objects and trying to move them
I would spend about 3 hours a day doing that, by myself, sitting in my pantry/closet. I did that every day between the ages of 6 and 12.
Interestingly enough, I did find some results in doing that, they weren't useful in any way though...
All I can say is, Telekinesis is difficult for a young hyperactive boy to perform, especially if he's trying to invent it instead of using popular methods. lol

Scotty

I've realized, as well as many others who would tell you the same thing.  Do what you are good at.  Not necessarily what you want to do, but what you are good at.  Case in point, me.  I love web development and design.  I've gone to great lengths to try and become the best that I can within that field, and realized that I love to do it.  I then realized my blind ambition when I actually got a job doing it for a consulting company.  Now I don't have the ambition to do it in my off time.  I have numerous ideas and such floating through my head for what would make some fantastic web applications, but I just don't have the motivation to do it after I get home from work, where I'm busting my ass doing it all day long.  Granted my job often consists of weeding out bugs and problems that aren't even related to the web application, as we are dealing with a customer base in the hundreds of thousands.  So I come home stressed out, pissed off that I can't find the problems, and no one else can either, so I don't even want to think about building a web application.

Then again, the other thing that I realized, at least for me, is that once I get past that initial hump, everything is downhill from there.  If I can accomplish that first bit, everything falls into place, I just need to get the motivation to get started.

So long story short, if you value what you are good at, and enjoy doing it, keep it as a hobby, and don't do it for a living.

Seifer

Also, realize that while you do enjoy gaming, and you would LOVE to be a programmer or game designer, it's unrealistic. Do you realize the influx of people that go to school to become that now of days? There are simply to many people trying to get into the market, and nowhere near as many jobs available. Yes, we all have a dream job, but is wasting four years of school for an education you can never get a job in worth it?

HamsterPants

Quote from: Seifer on April 10, 2010, 08:43:08 PM
Also, realize that while you do enjoy gaming, and you would LOVE to be a programmer or game designer, it's unrealistic. Do you realize the influx of people that go to school to become that now of days? There are simply to many people trying to get into the market, and nowhere near as many jobs available. Yes, we all have a dream job, but is wasting four years of school for an education you can never get a job in worth it?
Exactly.
Which is why I immediately brushed off the idea of such a career.
I prefer manual labor anyway.

Mystery

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 10, 2010, 08:19:37 PM

I already know all about that stuff.
But still, you seem to be missing the point entirely.

I actually did get it, I just regarded the 'superpower' part in a more scientific manner. Yeah, few people would use superpowers wisely.

Quote from: HamsterPants
I would spend about 3 hours a day doing that, by myself, sitting in my pantry/closet. I did that every day between the ages of 6 and 12.
Interestingly enough, I did find some results in doing that, they weren't useful in any way though...
All I can say is, Telekinesis is difficult for a young hyperactive boy to perform, especially if he's trying to invent it instead of using popular methods. lol
The only thing I could ever remotely prove from my own experiences(and others) relating to telekinesis/ESP would be moderately short visions of precognition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precognition

Although when I wake up, I have no memory of the future event until it actually happens, so I can't stop it or even mentally process it...
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Seifer on April 10, 2010, 08:43:08 PM

That is true for alot of jobs. Another thing you have to consider is that being a game designer and/or programmer is VERY different than just having a grand ol' time writing up games. It's very frustrating work, with very long hours and deadlines that you'll spend nights trying to meet. Its not a job for just anyone who likes games...

...that said, I'm not going to give up my ambitions because its hard to get into the job. If I'm not suited for it, so be it, but until then I'm going to try and increase my knowledge in the area. And hey, whats wrong with starting your own studios? :D

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Mystery on April 10, 2010, 10:03:34 PM
Although when I wake up, I have no memory of the future event until it actually happens, so I can't stop it or even mentally process it...

The same happens to me too! But that's a discussion for another topic.

As for me, I really don't know what I want to be at this point. I don't really have any plans in motion right now. A few things I've thought about are graphic designing, and game programming (I've frequently made promises to myself to start learning GML, but I've never actually did it).