News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Favorite Bands/type of music

Started by Kbob32, April 27, 2010, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

I want some feedback on this...I understand completely how Metal is awesome for it's guitar shredding drum blasting elements. That's actually the reason I used to like it. What I don't understand is how screaming whilst gargling flem is a musical element. Not trying to bash anybody, but I am completely serious. I don't see how blood-curdling screams are anymore musical than me shoving a microphone up my ass and farting. Though if somebody could explain me otherwise be my guest...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Meiun

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on April 28, 2010, 05:45:40 PM
I want some feedback on this...I understand completely how Metal is awesome for it's guitar shredding drum blasting elements. That's actually the reason I used to like it. What I don't understand is how screaming whilst gargling flem is a musical element. Not trying to bash anybody, but I am completely serious. I don't see how blood-curdling screams are anymore musical than me shoving a microphone up my ass and farting. Though if somebody could explain me otherwise be my guest...
Kindof hard to explain effectively. To start, I honestly consider it as more of an vocal "instrument" rather than actual "singing." But either way there is certainly bad forms of it and good forms in regards to what I and many other people like. I myself for instance am not a big fan of any types of it that could be considered "gargling flem." Either way, it certainly may not be for everyone, but one of the main reasons I personaly like it is because it adds a ton of intensity to the music and really gets your addrenaline pumping (at least it does for me). What better way to show sheer aggression then the most animalistic and brutal sound one can make? And kindof like how a song you really really get into might make a gayer person want to sing along or perhaps "bust a move," a nicely done intense scream might make a person want to bang their head a bit, or maybe join a mosh and !@#$ some people up. I suggest taking a day when your a bit pissed off, chugging a couple energy drinks, and then listening to some good old Waking The Demon or Ashes of the Innocent by Bullet For My Valentine and maybe then you will understand =) As with pretty much any type of music, one of the main things they do is to promote a certain feeling or emotion to its listener, and for screaming in metal that emotion/feeling just typically tends to be RAAGGGEE.

As I said, screaming can be good to emphasize aggression, intensity, as well as a number of other things. "Farting into the microphone" on the other hand probly wouldn't do much of anything other than gross people out a lot and maybe make a few more childish people laugh. The only feeling or emotion that it would really emphasize would be uhhh... Having gas? Also remember that even if with some of the metal bands it's difficult to understand what they are screaming (many others it's easy), at least they are still doing real lyrics where as the fart thing? Not so much...

Now, if metal simply dosn't do any of this for you (or anything else that would make you like it) then thats fine. But at least now you might hopefully understand a bit better why others may like it.

venuse

i guess im in the same boat as mr pwnage about metal, i dont like the screaming or guttural throat churning. most of the time i love the band and the drum beat but the singer just makes me spew. but the thing is is that heavy metal wasnt always about that screaming and guttural throat churning. i think the guttural throat and screaming became a type of fad with the style of music and once it caught on for some unknown reason beyond my comprehension, they made it more into a contest of who can sound more like a dog hacking up half digested frog. and yes i do like some heavy metal bands except i try to stay away from the screaming and gut churning in favor of power and vocal control.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Meiun on April 28, 2010, 06:05:18 PM
Kindof hard to explain effectively. To start, I honestly consider it as more of an vocal "instrument" rather than actual "singing." But either way there is certainly bad forms of it and good forms in regards to what I and many other people like. I myself for instance am not a big fan of any types of it that could be considered "gargling flem." Either way, it certainly may not be for everyone, but one of the main reasons I personaly like it is because it adds a ton of intensity to the music and really gets your addrenaline pumping (at least it does for me). What better way to show sheer aggression then the most animalistic and brutal sound one can make? And kindof like how a song you really really get into might make a gayer person want to sing along or perhaps "bust a move," a nicely done intense scream might make a person want to bang their head a bit, or maybe join a mosh and !@#$ some people up. I suggest taking a day when your a bit pissed off, chugging a couple energy drinks, and then listening to some good old Waking The Demon or Ashes of the Innocent by Bullet For My Valentine and maybe then you will understand =) As with pretty much any type of music, one of the main things they do is to promote a certain feeling or emotion to its listener, and for screaming in metal that emotion/feeling just typically tends to be RAAGGGEE.

As I said, screaming can be good to emphasize aggression, intensity, as well as a number of other things. "Farting into the microphone" on the other hand probly wouldn't do much of anything other than gross people out a lot and maybe make a few more childish people laugh. The only feeling or emotion that it would really emphasize would be uhhh... Having gas? Also remember that even if with some of the metal bands it's difficult to understand what they are screaming (many others it's easy), at least they are still doing real lyrics where as the fart thing? Not so much...

Now, if metal simply dosn't do any of this for you (or anything else that would make you like it) then thats fine. But at least now you might hopefully understand a bit better why others may like it.

Actually I completely understand that. Probably the best explanation you could give really. Also as for bullet for my valentine, I wouldn't consider them the "flem gargling" genre. I actually really enjoy several of their songs, including waking the demon. Reason being I wouldn't throw them into the flem gargling catagory is because the singer actually sings, and sings well. Such as "All these things I hate". I guess I am more or less referencing things such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGpcjzb67Q . Makes me really wish you could get instrumental versions because the guitar is so awesome. Though I suppose if your going for a moshpit, that probably suits that type of person....
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Meiun

Oh, yeah. That type of "screaming" more qualifies as the low gutteral stuff that I was saying I'm not really a huge fan of. Never really have been. When I use the word scream I more mean the type of stuff you'd hear from Bullet (although All These Things I Hate is a pretty mild example). There really are a lot of different styles of harsh vocals, so you can't really lump them all together and make a judgement on the whole genre until you've heard a variety. But yeah, although Arch Enemy definitly does have some epic guitar and all that, not a huge fan of that style of vocals, its really more of a growl than a scream anyways.

A couple examples of the type I like most are:
Bullet For My Valentine - Hand Of Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0SrxSMHDmE
Threat Signal- Counterbalance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7AA7OIw3M
Atreyu - The Crimson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtxDRvFRdo
Bullet For My Valentine - Waking The Demon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaksTCdW5P8
Sonic Syndicate - Denied: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0FGyhB6C8
Sonic Syndicate - Rebellion In Nightmareland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQbs9v8FYk

Oh, and while it may not be quite as heavy in terms of metalness, I can't resist posting it since the album just came out yesterday and it's a sweet song.

Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6IMjdthr4

Mr Pwnage

Ah Sonic Syndicate, they are extremely unique. They combine metal with some techno, love it. "Jack of Diamonds" is my favorite song by them. Atreyu is awesome too. I love "Bleeding Mascara" by them...I find the long scream in the beginning acceptable. :) Almost everything by bullet in naturally awesome...yeah I don't mind that kind of screaming. Most of these bands just exaggerate sentences more or less, while that arch enemy video I posted is more my distaste as far as screaming goes.

venuse

i think if i want to listen to metal ill stick with dio, night wish, or ozzy or some other i cant remember. although night wish is more of a cross between metal,opera, and Celtic if that makes sense.

and i did try listening to those links you posted meiun but they arent for me :) i guess im a new age retro hippie all this new stuff you young-ins listen to confuses my sometimers riddled mind hahaha

Meiun

Sonic definitely doesn't have any "techno", but if you mean the fact that they use a synth in a few of their songs along with a hell of a lot of energy then yeah. Either way, they are pretty badass.

Scotty

It's just a different style.  My preference for it is no different than the preference of one who likes rap or opera.  I find talent in the fact that a properly trained vocalist who resorts to extreme methods of brutalizing his throat in a mush without actually destroying it utterly fascinating.  Granted, time and time again have I seen these types of vocalists have to cut out from tours due to not taking care of themselves.  Hell, the second time I went to see All That Remains when they opened for In Flames, Phil announced the day after the concert that they had to cancel the rest of the tour because he blew out his voice.  I could tell listening to him that he was worn more than a woman who mistakes her reproductive organs for a clown car.  Holy hell were fans pissed when all they wanted to see was them and couldn't get a refund!

I would've echoed a lot of what Meiun said as I think he pretty much hit it spot on.  I'm a man that appreciates musical talent.  This is my definition of musical talent.  I'm not going to ignorantly say that I don't agree that there are other forms and methods of talent out there, as that would just be stupid.  Hell, look at Dream Theater!  Albeit the vocalist who just bugs me, that band is quite possibly composed of the most talented musicians to grace their instruments.  Every one of them (again, minus the singer, hell, Pettruci almost fired him for not contributing as much as the others).  Other examples of extreme talent would be Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Tarja Turunen, I'll even swallow my pride and admit that Eminem's vocal abilities (nothing more) to rattle off words at the speed that he does is astounding.  I don't like his music, or any rap for that matter, but I'll respect the fact that he can leave an auctioneer in the dust at the speed of his voice.  Another man of often overlooked talent is Zakk Wylde.  That man opens for Ozzy, playing a full set with Black Label Society, doesn't even get off the stage, then plays a full set with Ozzy.  If there are any guitarists here (even better if you know his style of play), you can't not appreciate the fact that he can play a guitar for 2-3 hours straight, flawless.  I could never fathom playing two of his guitar-intensive songs in a row, let alone two whole different sets!

Another example of truly astonishing would be Alexi Laiho.  He plays lead guitar and lead vocals for his metal band "Children of Bodom".  Most men are incapable of breathing and thinking at the same time, we are such awful multi-taskers, but this guy puts even the most talented multi-tasking woman to shame.  Hell, they all did a concert where he was hyped on painkillers and booze because he broke a toe on stage, and he was still spot-on with his intense playing and vocals.  That man is seriously the second coming of Satan (or actually, first-coming, since he's older than I).  Hell, he's SO good that he actually brought his childhood role-model guitarist into his band, as his second.  That's HOW GOOD he is!  Check out this performance (skip past the first 1:20, fould language warning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bqIdoh5IPo  He's blasted, and wasted from the booze and pills on this concert, yet he's doing all sorts of riffs and sweeps while singing.  Almost every band out there in this situation has the singer/guitarist doing power chords or something easy while they sing.  Not Alexi.  I swear, if this man stopped singing, and just played his guitar at these concerts, I would not be surprised if the earth started rotating the other direction.

As far as some other favorites of mine aside from Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, and just about everything that Meiun mentioned:
The Agonist (I'm gonna have to do Alissa.  It's my destiny, I can't fight it.  I just hope I don't have to pick up the bill for her inevitable reconstructive surgery to her genitalia that will follow in stride with what I'm gonna do to it.)
All That Remains
Dark Tranquillity (The complexity of their songwriting is dumbfounding)
Amon Amarth
Darkest Hour
Deadlock
Luna Mortis (Vocalist, while smokin' hawt, is meh, but they got some catchy tunes!)
Nightrage
Norther
Raintime
Scar Symmetry (Christian is quite possibly the most talented vocalist of the genre)
Sinergy (Alexi Laiho's previous project, no vocalist, all guitar, all awesome!)
Soilwork
Story Of The Year (These guys can put on one hell of a show, I've never been to a concert where I've seen more tits than theirs!  I don't care who they are, or what they sound like, I'll go just for that!)

Scotty

Oh, and a new favorite of mine: Munity Within.  Check these guys out Pwnage, if you can like Bullet and some Sonic Syndicate, I think you'll like these guys.  The vocalist is freakin' amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS8t9jrccU

Trogdor

German folk metal, anyone? :3

Despite folk metal being the "comic relief" of the Metal genre of music, there will always be a soft spot in my heart for it. Though I do listen to some melodic death metal bands such as Skyfire, Insomnium, and Kalmah, I still enjoy folk metal simply because it's more diverse with its instruments. Instead of the usual guitars, bass, drums, and occasional keyboard, some of the bands I listen to incorporate the violin, viola, mandolin, mandola, hurdy-gurdy, flute, panpipe, bagpipe, uilleann pipes, glockenspiel, and gaita in their songs. It's definitely an odd line-up, but I immensely enjoy the orchestral aspects these instruments bring to the table.

For me, the perfect song incorporates a nice melodic composition, a fast-paced beat, and topped off with some powerful vocals. Most melodeath/folk metal bands achieve this quite nicely, so I listen to 'em.

EDIT: I also agree 100% with Scotty and Meiun about the vocals. They pretty much hit the nail on the head.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lingus

Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:25:48 PMSteve Vai, Joe Satriani
You forgot Jeff Beck.

Btw, I find it interesting that these topics always tend to gravitate towards metal. Probably has a lot to do with Scott's influence. I'm not sure I know anyone else who is quite as into his music. It's cool. I'm really not that passionate about the music I listen to. I like really good mellow kinds of stuff, but I don't care too much what it is or who's playing it. If it's interesting and unique, I'm into it. A lot of old school jazz is that way, but there's also some very few cases of modern music that fits the bill. Radiohead is probably the best example. They always have some kind of new sound going on. Thom Yorke's solo stuff is also really good.

Oh, and for the record, just to join the group of metal enthusiasts, I used to listen to Pantera non-stop back in high school.

Scotty

Quote from: Trogdor on April 28, 2010, 09:33:12 PM
German folk metal, anyone? :3

Despite folk metal being the "comic relief" of the Metal genre of music, there will always be a soft spot in my heart for it. Though I do listen to some melodic death metal bands such as Skyfire, Insomnium, and Kalmah, I still enjoy folk metal simply because it's more diverse with its instruments. Instead of the usual guitars, bass, drums, and occasional keyboard, some of the bands I listen to incorporate the violin, viola, mandolin, mandola, hurdy-gurdy, flute, panpipe, bagpipe, uilleann pipes, glockenspiel, and gaita in their songs. It's definitely an odd line-up, but I immensely enjoy the orchestral aspects these instruments bring to the table.

For me, the perfect song incorporates a nice melodic composition, a fast-paced beat, and topped off with some powerful vocals. Most melodeath/folk metal bands ahieve this quite nicely, so I listen to 'em.

Dude, Kalmah gives me a hard-on.  I wasn't such a fan of that specific album, but every time I hear songs like Outremer , Dead Man's Shadow Hades (OMG AWESOME!) and Heroes To Us, I seriously turn myself into my own little self-induced boy-toy to these guys.  When the time comes that I go to jail for maxing my car out at 155MPH, it'd BETTER be this band that I'm listening to while hanging half way out the window screaming my throat out of my nose.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2010, 09:40:06 PM
Probably has a lot to do with Scott's influence. I'm not sure I know anyone else who is quite as into his music. It's cool. I'm really not that passionate about the music I listen to.

That is funny, as I likely am the most vocally passionate person on these forums about my music. Hahaha!

Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2010, 09:40:06 PM
I like really good mellow kinds of stuff, but I don't care too much what it is or who's playing it. If it's interesting and unique, I'm into it.

I'm not that far off from you, as it all depends on my current state of attention deficit.  Here, I'll step away from death metal for a minute.  Take a look at these two acoustic guitarists.  Downright amazing to watch and listen to!

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Seriously, the first time I heard these two, my jaw hit the floor.  I was astonished that this was even a possibility.  Mad respect for these two to be able to pull this off.  Another band that turns me on...  surprisingly is Nightwish.  It's an odd ball for sure, but Tarja and her talent is without a doubt one of the most beautiful things I've listened to.  Hell, the Scorpions even brought her on for their single off their final album.  Something about her voice just seriously makes that bulge in the middle hemisphere get a little bigger.  She's the perfect example of a woman that you might look at and think she's cute if you walk by her on the street, but it's once you see her on stage performing that you are determined that you will go to jail if that is the cost of her spreading the legs.  Oh, and yes, I will say that the Scorpions, going on 30 some years, still sound f'n awesome!

EDIT: Hurray for all the double postings!  Who's gonna be the first to point the finger at me?

EDIT 2: Another band that a lot of you "Don't like the screaming type of metal but still like metal" would like, if you haven't heard of them, is Symphony X.  They've played a lot of neo-classical (which I find absolutely awesome, hence Kalmah) power metal, all up until their most recent album "Paradise Lost".  This was more or less a straight balls to the wall melodic power metal.  Here's a good song by them: Set The World On Fire.  Another good song by them that is a lot more melodic (and extremely technical in the musicianship) is the title track off the album: Paradise Lost

Trogdor

Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:41:39 PM
Dude, Kalmah gives me a hard-on.  I wasn't such a fan of that specific album, but every time I hear songs like Outremer , Dead Man's Shadow Hades (OMG AWESOME!) and Heroes To Us, I seriously turn myself into my own little self-induced boy-toy to these guys.  When the time comes that I go to jail for maxing my car out at 155MPH, it'd BETTER be this band that I'm listening to while hanging half way out the window screaming my throat out of my nose.
Heh, you were the one to turn me on to Kalmah in the first place, as well as Arch Enemy. I'll have to go through that list you made in one of your earlier posts of all the bands you listen to. Who knows, I might find some more I like.

Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:56:42 PM
Rodrigo y Gabriela
They can't top the Yoshida Brothers!
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.