News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Bp oil spill

Started by ARTgames, June 02, 2010, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

I'm sure you all have heard about the Bp oil spill. Why i made this topic is to ask if you were them what would you do to try and stop it?

I think this idea is the strangest one i have heard.
http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-02-10-nuke-it-cameron-let-trade-dumb-oil-spill-fixes-for-a-real-one/
QuoteRussian editor Vladimir Lagowski wrote of the Soviet Union's (somewhat under-the-table) success in plugging oil leaks with nuclear weapons. Although he estimates the chance of successfully plugging a leak so deep in the ocean with a nuclear explosion at only about 20 percent, he suggests we "take a chance."

EpicPhailure

I would ask James Cameron, because he obviously has a lot of experience with oil spills.

Scotty

Yeah, 'cause we would do anything stupid like what the Russians have so clearly demonstrated in the past.

What would I do?  I'd let the government take over.  Screw BP, they clearly can't get it right, so let the government take control and have them fix it.  I find it funny that everyone is screaming at the President for this though.  They all want him to take off the gloves and throw down with BP, yet if it was known that he had a "throw punches" temperament back when he was running for President, he would've lost the election.  We didn't elect a fighter, we elected a charismatic, level-headed politician, so everyone who is bitching in that regard, go screw yourself.  You got what you voted for, good luck changing that.

As far as what I would technically, I don't have the slightest clue, I'm a developer, not a mechanical engineer, but one way or another, the coast is screwed!  If we ever wanted to build a car that runs on water, I bet now would be the best time!  Only catch is it couldn't leave the Gulf coast!  But in seriousness, I've heard that past incidents would result in having oil tankers surrounding the spot and siphoning the oil, then filtering it later.  Had BP done that immediately, we would've been able to control this from the beginning.  Such a shame...

Meiun

Things will get even better once hurricane season comes around! Nice big oil hurricanes will just top this disaster off.

Trogdor

To be honest with you, I don't have an inkling as to how to fix this situation. I'd probably have to agree with Scotty about allowing the government to take over. Once the oil gets into the loop current in the Gulf, it'll travel up and around Florida's coast into the Gulf Stream, where it's believed to reach as high as North Carolina. Devastation of this level should definitely not be left up to a single oil company.

All I can hope for is whatever conclusion they reach, they reach it fast. I like living in Florida, but not when it's going to be surrounded on all three sides by oil.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Meiun on June 02, 2010, 11:24:47 PM
Things will get even better once hurricane season comes around! Nice big oil hurricanes will just top this disaster off.

lol. Thank god I don't live where hurricanes can reach me D:

Jake

I just want this shit fixed. The fact that it's been this long without any end in sight makes me sick to my stomach. As we speak, tons of oil is spilling into the ocean. After everything is said and done, I really hope we can fix the damage we've done to the ocean and the life that inhabits it.

God-I-Suck

We were discussing this in Science class. I hope they can stop it soon.

ARTgames

I'm also not sure as to how stop it.

What i think they need in the future on the rigs is a dead man switch shut off valve near the bottom that lets go of the pipe or has a special breaking point so at most all you let go is whats in the pipe.

Jake

And to think I worked at BP! It leaves a rotten taste in my mouth.

sk8terboi

messing up out fish >:O
[SSSS]

Trogdor

Quote from: sk8terboi on June 03, 2010, 01:08:02 AM
messing up out fish >:O
Not only fish, but countless other marine life/seabirds. Leave it to humans to !@#$ up the planet and its inhabitants.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Chaos

Nice to see we aren't learning from mistakes, eh?  Good ol' big companies, not giving two shits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Seifer

on a scale of 1-10, how sad is it that I didn't know about the oil spill?

ARTgames

Well i have not heard that much people talk about it in real life. So i guess if you have not been watching the news or been to news sites i can imagine that some one could not know. But you know now.

I'm not sure who runs the rigs. Bp or Transocean if any one can tell me.

@jake
I never knew you were so caring. I'm not mocking or saying its bad, i just did not know.