News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Minecraft

Started by tehrozzy, September 10, 2010, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

My bad, quote fail.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Steakboy132

Just out of curiosity, what's the farthest anyone has traveled? I made it to 10,400 X one night, and was curious how far you guys have gone?
I am Steakboy132 on the forums
I am Source on Stick Online
I am ___Dylan on Minecraft

Scotty

Quote from: YayForLife on March 20, 2011, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: EpicPhailure on March 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM
I was just wondering; if we used hamachi, could we access servers through the offline feature?
The offline disables login verification, making it so you don't go through the minecraft website to log in. If you have a whitelist its safe though because hackers won't be whitelisted :P

It also allows people to log onto a server using whatever username they want, so if you are an admin, and are logged off, someone else can log under your username and have all admin access to the server.

ARTgames

That's a good point scotti. They need to have a pw that is independent from the minecraft servers you host.

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on March 21, 2011, 06:44:57 PM
That's a good point scotti. They need to have a pw that is independent from the minecraft servers you host.

Passwords are irrelevant to offline servers.  Regardless, it is always a good idea to have a different password than that of your Minecraft login.  See:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/3919992067/warning-some-malicious-client-mods-are-stealing

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on March 21, 2011, 06:40:32 PM
Quote from: YayForLife on March 20, 2011, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: EpicPhailure on March 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM
I was just wondering; if we used hamachi, could we access servers through the offline feature?
The offline disables login verification, making it so you don't go through the minecraft website to log in. If you have a whitelist its safe though because hackers won't be whitelisted :P

It also allows people to log onto a server using whatever username they want, so if you are an admin, and are logged off, someone else can log under your username and have all admin access to the server.

While that may be true, I can think of several ways to prevent that and still host a server in offline mode...

You can easily ban the use of names from every IP except yours with a little creativity.  ;)

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

ARTgames

Well that's that I mean. But I understand why you think I did not mean that. Bad wording on my part. An offline (by offline I mean independent from minecraft's servers ) credential system completely separated from Minecraft's "extremely well working server" that maintained by the server's host. (aka you)

You give Minecraft the server ip. It connects. Your server asks for a login. You get in if it works. And you have complete control over it. Maybe this can be done by a mod but I feel it should really be built in.

I mean the main point really of a minecraft account is to showed you paid.

It gives you little backing to who you are but that's nothing the server's provider cant do themselves. But the tools to do it is not really built in and that's what I'm requesting.

EpicPhailure

Can anyone log in? The site is down, but the message says that they're working to get login back up.

ARTgames

Yeah I can get in to scotti's server.

Trogdor

Something weird's going on with the server right now... It's failing to save the point last logged out at and the current inventory. Instead, it regresses back to a previous point in time (always the same one) with the inventory during said time frame. However, chests still correctly save any items you place inside in spite of the regression...

Edit: It also appears any modifications to the terrain save as well...
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotty

Quote from: Trogdor on March 22, 2011, 12:09:44 AM
Something weird's going on with the server right now... It's failing to save the point last logged out at and the current inventory. Instead, it regresses back to a previous point in time (always the same one) with the inventory during said time frame. However, chests still correctly save any items you place inside in spite of the regression...

Edit: It also appears any modifications to the terrain save as well...

That would be because of the course of the weekend, the map supposedly grew over 250Mb in size, thus capping the server's disk/memory space.  I've just shut down the server and will look into it, I'll post more when it's back up.

EDIT: It should be back up.  Bad news is I have no idea how well this is going to do with the amount of memory I've dedicated to the server.  I've allotted 1024Mb of memory for disk space for the server, and last I checked, that pushing it right to the limit of my computer's available memory.  The world right now is 800Mb in size.  If the server crashes due to excessive use of memory, or if performance plummets due to excessive swap usage, let me know and I will have to go back to regular hard drive storage for the map, which will undoubtedly mean not so perky performance, but that's about the only option.  Keep me posted.

EDIT #2: I've shut down a few processes temporarily, including Dropbox and Apache, and I've gone from 30Mb of free mem to a fraction over 100Mb.  I think we'll be alright for a little while longer.  As soon as we cap the 1Gb mark though, I'm going to have to revert back to ext4 storage instead of ramdisk storage.

Snakeman

QuoteThe world right now is 800Mb in size.

We need to stop running off in random directions for an hour at a time, guys. :/

T-Rok

Why not reset the entire map? xD Its good to refresh things, using the size of the map could be a good timer for when to do so.

Chaos

Quote from: T-Rok on March 22, 2011, 01:27:20 PM
Why not reset the entire map? xD Its good to refresh things, using the size of the map could be a good timer for when to do so.

Okay, but just be prepared for Trog to murder you in your sleep. :x
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Trogdor

Quote from: Chaos on March 22, 2011, 02:50:54 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on March 22, 2011, 01:27:20 PM

Okay, but just be prepared for Trog to murder you in your sleep. :x

Don't worry, I promise you won't feel a thing.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.