News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Minecraft

Started by tehrozzy, September 10, 2010, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

Reset the map and get rid of everything we worked so hard for? No.

Steakboy132

No reset map plox
I am Steakboy132 on the forums
I am Source on Stick Online
I am ___Dylan on Minecraft

thekolla

Chaos or scotty, do you think you can whitelist my friend ive known him for a very long time, he is very trustworthy.

His username is "1dayolder"

T-Rok

Quote from: Trogdor on March 22, 2011, 03:10:52 PM
Quote from: Chaos on March 22, 2011, 02:50:54 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on March 22, 2011, 01:27:20 PM
Why not reset the entire map? xD Its good to refresh things, using the size of the map could be a good timer for when to do so.

Okay, but just be prepared for Trog to murder you in your sleep. :x

Don't worry, I promise you won't feel a thing.

What about deleting certain.. nevermind he changed how the maps are stored. lol

ARTgames

Well I don't think map size should matter but rather how many players are on and ware they are should determine ram usage. And the size of the map should use up more rom size. But I did not make Minecaft so I guess that does not matter.

I guess he could use MCedit thingy for Minecraft and take off some large parts of the map. (Or update his abacus) I have no idea if that work with the new map file. Or maybe when the new updates comes out Notch will make the server software better (or worse :P).

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on March 22, 2011, 10:00:45 PM
Well I don't think map size should matter but rather how many players are on and ware they are should determine ram usage. And the size of the map should use up more rom size. But I did not make Minecaft so I guess that does not matter.

I created a ramdisk totaling 1Gb in size.  In other words, I am storing the world in memory, rather than disk drives.  Obviously, storing the world in memory makes loading ultra-quick.  The only disadvantage is that since it is stored in memory, should the computer ever crash (which it won't, yay Linux!), the world is gone.  Even though I trust in my laptop to not randomly kick the bucket, I am well aware that the computer tends to get rather warm when there's a boat load of people playing, and if anything, it may shut off due to excessively high temperatures.  Thus, I have the backup script running every hour so that should be a catastrophic loss, rather the computer shut down, the most we lose is one hour's worth of data.

The only other negative is that the laptop only has 4Gb of memory, 3.62Gb of which is actually available.  I deduct one Gb for ramdisk, and still have to provide ~2.5Gb to run the operating system, the database, a web server, and whatever else happens to be running on it.  As of right now (I just checked), it is down to ~50Mb free memory.  The good news is that I've set the swapiness to a very low level, so it should only resort to using swap space should memory pretty much plummet to near nothing.

ARTgames

Ok thats fine. I see why now that I know your ram disking. But why not just use the hard drive? I guess you cant get that good performance out a laptop drive. :/

Maybe upgrade to a SSD? Come on $200-$400 for a free Minecraft server sounds reasonable. Only kidding. I guess just get more ram like you said before.

Thanks for the update scotti! 

edit:
Also I have been having problems with money. When I log out and back in sometimes its like my money resets its self to an older value. Dylan also said he is having the same thing happen.

Trogdor

Sayers thought he'd be cute and dump lava into the message board, so I suggest anyone who posted a sign on it check to see if it's still there, and if need be reapply it. I gave him a warning and he did his best to fix it up as best he could, so hopefully this won't happen in the future. If it does, I'll make sure it won't happen a third time.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotty

Much like how he placed TnT into Chaos' forest because he wanted to see what it would do?

sayers6

*sigh* ...the lava thing was completely stupid....forgot how wood ignited....I'm sorry....

11clock

Scotty's server crashed again.

EDIT: Actually, Minecraft.net is down.

EDIT2: It's back up.

Seifer

11clock

The Clock Shop has finally been opened!

Currently Selling:

Redstone: 5b
Redstone Torches: 5b
Redstone Repeaters: 10b
Wooden Pressure Plates: 4b
Stone Pressure Plates: 4b
Levers: 4b
Stone Buttons: 4b

Feel free to stop by The Clock Shop, located in Westarc!

Trogdor

And on the heels of 11clock's post, Yurchel and I opened up a shop as well. Our shop BloX is located in the Half-Step House, and is the leading purveyor of all blocky material!

Our current stock:

Brick block: 12b
Glass: 2b
Lapis Lazuli block: 545b
Obsidian: 26b
Sand: 4b (bundle of 5)
Stone: 2b

We'll soon be adding snow, mossy cobblestone, logs, and other blocks as time progresses.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

11clock