News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Android vs. Iphone

Started by havok, December 29, 2010, 04:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

havok

what phone would you choice and explain why you picked that it. Are what you like about the phone and its ups and downs

i personally have a droid 2 and i love it :P im to lazy to post why right now tho so i will tommorrow

Meiun

Android beats iPhone any day in my book. I had an iPhone, and now I have a Droid 2. For anyone who isn't a technophone and intimidated by it's slightly steeper learning curve (since it has so many more features, it can take a while to figure out how to use them fully), Android phones beat out the iPhone in nearly every way. WAYYYY better development kit for programmers, very little restrictions on what you can do with it and what types of apps can be made (where as the iPhone is the opposite), among countless other things. True multitasking, nearly full access to the file system of the phone, full Flash and HTML5 support, removable/upgradable battery and memory cards, highly customizable interface and desktops, just to name a few. Using my Droid 2 really just feels like using a mini computer. Heck, I can even do stuff like tethering my phone and making free video calls over 3G by simply downloading a free app from the official android market (no rooting or jailbreaking required for either).

CherryPie

I may be a little bit off here, but Windows Phone 7 all the way for me. I'm still deciding on which handset, I am going, but after trying the OS out for a few hours at the shops, I can definitly say, that I've never seen anything that smooth on a mobile device.

Of course it's lagging some features, but feel free to compare WP7 with iOS 1.0 or Android 1.6 and you will see how much of a difference there really is. Flash 10.1 for WP7, copy and paste and other neat stuff will be added in early 2011 aswell as a lot of other neat improvements.

As for developing I have to say it is probably the most easiest way to develop EVER. You gotta head to Microsofts express website, download the WP7 dev tools (including special versions of the newest visual studio, expression blend and xna game studio) all for free. Apps are developed in Silverlight 3 (including some SL4 features downported especially for WP7) and the framework is extremely intuitive and easy to understand, especially with the dozens of official very well documented tuts.

Yankyal

Droid. That shit is bangin' dawg.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Scotty

I've only had the "pleasure" of owning an iPhone, but I am most definitely not furthering my mobile hand-held ownership with Apple.  I've heard so many cases of "Well I don't need to jailbreak my Android to do that", or "I don't need to own a Mac to develop that", amongst only a few things.  The Android market seems to be overpowering the iPhone based off of restrictions (or the lack there-of).

Another thing that just urks me is all of the constant media attention Apple is getting for stupid stuff that they are seemingly screwing up, or at least, is how the media plays it off.  Everything from cryptic application restrictions, to poor hardware design (attenuation and using glass for the screen), or just failing at keeping up in the revolutionary market.  Half of the time the company all the way up to the CEO seem to play the "It's a non-issue" card, or the ignorance card that it is truly annoying.  Case in point with that would be their first "fix" for the attenuation where they released to the press "We understand there are issues with the iPhone 4, and that many users are dissatisfied with it, so we've proposed a fix, we are going to redo the algorithms that calculate the quality of service based off of reception and redo the graphical design of the bars to more accurately reflect how much reception the phone has (completely ignoring the attenuation issue)".  In fact, when I went to go and find the latest negative press they are getting, I looked no further than the RSS feed of Ars Technica, and sure enough, article three:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/12/apple-facing-class-action-suit-over-ios-data-collection.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

DarkTrinity

Blackberry Torch :D
Because it's smexy.

I've never had an iPhone or Android so I can't really compare or contrast them...

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2010, 10:04:27 AM
Because it's smexy.

I've never had an iPhone or Android so I can't really compare or contrast them...

Blackberry has died off at this point.  I don't understand how a majority of businesses still prefer and hand out BB's has their company phones, unless it is some sort of prolonged contract they have with RIM.  They have been anything but revolutionary with their handhelds, and as of late, they've been trying to hype their devices the way that Apple does, then completely fail at releasing a product that is sub-par to the rest of the choices one has.

On an unrelated side-note to all of this, mostly irrelevant to the average user is the development of web applications for the handhelds.  On a personal level, with where I work and such, developing for the Android has far superseded the rest.  We do not use Macs at my office, so the only way to test how the web browser on the iPhone looks with web skins is to literally sit here with an iPhone (which we can't do at the office), and refresh the page every time we make a change.  Android has an awesome SDK and emulator that allows for us to emulate an Android on our computer, so that we may use it as a sort of web browser for testing.  Blackberry development for web applications.... Do not get me going on that, as most of the users can admit that the web browser on the Blackberry is about on par with old HTML 3.5 standards...  It sucks, real bad.

T-Rok

I literally just bought an iPhone 4 two days ago. It was a tough decision for me because I love the Android system; however, I love my games more. I bought my iPhone 4 for two reasons. 1, a larger app base including games such as Infinity Blade (main reason I bought it was for this and future games like it). 2, I can install a program called Installous and do things which I can not mention on this forum. Just google it.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Scotty on December 29, 2010, 10:38:15 AM
Because it's smexy.

Blackberry has died off at this point.  I don't understand how a majority of businesses still prefer and hand out BB's has their company phones, unless it is some sort of prolonged contract they have with RIM.  They have been anything but revolutionary with their handhelds, and as of late, they've been trying to hype their devices the way that Apple does, then completely fail at releasing a product that is sub-par to the rest of the choices one has.

On an unrelated side-note to all of this, mostly irrelevant to the average user is the development of web applications for the handhelds.  On a personal level, with where I work and such, developing for the Android has far superseded the rest.  We do not use Macs at my office, so the only way to test how the web browser on the iPhone looks with web skins is to literally sit here with an iPhone (which we can't do at the office), and refresh the page every time we make a change.  Android has an awesome SDK and emulator that allows for us to emulate an Android on our computer, so that we may use it as a sort of web browser for testing.  Blackberry development for web applications.... Do not get me going on that, as most of the users can admit that the web browser on the Blackberry is about on par with old HTML 3.5 standards...  It sucks, real bad.

Mainly, I absolutely HAAAATE touchscreen keyboards. I just can't do it, I have to have a physical keyboard. That's the main reason I picked the Torch. It has a full touchscreen plus an actual keyboard. and it's only $15 a month whereas the iPhone is more expensive per month. I didn't really what a phone for being able to browse the internet. Though it's nice to have for when I do need it.

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2010, 03:40:45 PM
Because it's smexy.

Mainly, I absolutely HAAAATE touchscreen keyboards. I just can't do it, I have to have a physical keyboard. That's the main reason I picked the Torch. It has a full touchscreen plus an actual keyboard. and it's only $15 a month whereas the iPhone is more expensive per month. I didn't really what a phone for being able to browse the internet. Though it's nice to have for when I do need it.

I enjoy touch-screens... A lot, but surprising enough, I have to agree with you on the keyboard part.  If a phone was touchscreen for everything but the keyboard, I would fall in love.  I as well try to limit my Internet Browser usage on my phone if I can help it, both because I am always around a computer, the touchscreen keyboard, and various other reasons, but unfortunately, being a web developer, I don't have the luxury of disregarding my mobile customers...

Meiun

The great thing about Android phones is that Android is just the OS, and numerous different manufacturers and providers make phones for it. Therefore, you can get phones that have touchscreens, keyboards, or both. The Droid 2 that I have for instance has both. The Droid Pro is another one with a keyboard, and it has a fairly similar design to the blackberry (think it has a touchscreen as well).

CherryPie

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2010, 03:40:45 PM
Because it's smexy.

^
|
this

Aqua

Hmmm, but wouldn't a keyboard on the long side be better?

As for me, I use a $10 go-phone from Wal*Mart. It suits my needs, and I have nearly 3000 rollover minutes.
With Android vs. iPhone, I'd go Android even though I've never seen one up close. I refuse to fund Apple.
~Aqua

EpicPhailure

11clock