News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Never steal a hacker?s PC (NSFW)

Started by Scotty, December 30, 2010, 11:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/never-steal-a-hackers-pc-nsfw-20101227/

Surprisingly, by today's standards and perceptions of hackers/crackers, what he did could be done with intermediate knowledge of computers and the terminal, as he already knew everything he needed to get access to the computer.  I really took interest in his lessons learned, where had he actually properly secured his computer, he wouldn't have been able to recover it.

Remember, a deadbolt costs $20, your best defense!

EpicPhailure

Yeah, I saw this recently too. Pretty amazing.

But why would the guy steal the back ups? Just to be a prick?

Scotty

Quote from: EpicPhailure on December 30, 2010, 11:23:45 AM
But why would the guy steal the back ups? Just to be a prick?

Because he could.

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on December 30, 2010, 11:15:24 AM
I really took interest in his lessons learned, where had he actually properly secured his computer, he wouldn't have been able to recover it.

Well he never said that but I know ware you got that. Non the less depending on the PC I rather loose the hardware and for the other people to not get access to my data than them being able to get the PC and me having a chance to get it back but they can also get my data.

But you can have it both ways. Have an encrypted partition with the OS you use, and a non encrypted partition with an OS set up for tracking. :)

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2010, 11:58:39 AM
Well he never said that but I know ware you got that.

First bullet under lessons learned, see 19:22 in the video.

But you can have it both ways. Have an encrypted partition with the OS you use, and a non encrypted partition with an OS set up for tracking. :)

What I'll usually do with my Linux operating systems is only encrypt a directory/partition that would ever contain personal information (aka the /home directory or a user's specific sub-directory within).  This way, if done correctly, access to the computer is still possible, and such tools as DynDNS would still load, enabling such recovery methods, but still keep information secure.

EDIT: Another thing I'd be interested in researching is off-site backups for personal information.  Luckily I don't have that much, but when making images, dependent upon the amount of stored backups, I'd imagine I can easily build up any quota.  Anyone have any ideas for what off-site rented storage goes for now-a-days?

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on December 30, 2010, 12:23:16 PM

I like making people go back and do work for me. Fine he said it. :)

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2010, 01:10:38 PM
Quote from: Scotty on December 30, 2010, 12:23:16 PM

I like making people go back and do work for me. Fine he said it. :)

Point for me!

ARTgames

Also try Amazon S3 for offsite backup.

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2010, 01:51:38 PM
Also try Amazon S3 for offsite backup.

Holy Crap!  That's seriously a good gig.  It's so cheap you can't afford not to use it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Mr Pwnage

That guy is a badass. The whole story and his happenings in it were great, and the way he presented it was hilarious. I wanna meet this guy.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php