News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

My new sprite project

Started by jackel1994, January 15, 2011, 07:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel1994

Just a thread to post sprites i am making to show my development over time :D critique is welcome as i am just starting and would love to hear things to help me out. Not really looking forword to the flamers out there though but thats unavoidable haha! Enjoy guys/girls!

First is a water sword. It is supposed to be the inventory shot of it.

ZOOM

Sabre.

ZOOM

Sabre, with a flame graphic. Wanted to give it a type of "power-up".

ZOOM

Flame sword, i know ive heard some people talking about how they dont care for the new graphic for the IS, so i decided to give it a shot ;) NOT SAYING I DID A BETTER JOB THEN WHOEVER MADE THE NEW SPRITE I JUST WANTED TO VOICE MY IDEA :D PERSONALY I LIKE THE NEW GRAPHIC ;) Enjoy.

ZOOM

War Hammer

ZOOM

Katana

ZOOM

War Pike

ZOOM

Battle Axe

Zoom

Axe, sorry no zoom of this one :/ it wouldnt work right...

Alright so i wanted to give spriting a new approach with Delicious giving me alittle more of a guide and this is what i came up with, hopefully its alittle more fine tuned. It's supposed to be an old "Dynasty Era Chinese Monk stick"

Alright so now is a crude little Slingshot... I admit i think i could've tried alittle harder with this one and will probably resprite late.

2 New daggers i tried with this new technique i tried to grips so tell me what you think!

Okay, I think this has been my best attempt yet, tell me what you guys think :D
3 kinds.

Butchers sword

Light Sabre

Dragon Sword PROTOTYPE

Tried a little animation, not very good but its first one ever so.

Second Animation, alittle better i think.

Mystery

Very nice indeed for a first sprite. Nothing really seems flawed to me, keep up the good work.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

EpicPhailure

Save all images as PNGs. JPGs have noticeably inferior quality to the images. 

RayRay

Quote from: EpicPhailure on January 15, 2011, 09:27:31 PM
Save all images as PNGs. JPGs have noticeably inferior quality to the images. 
On top of that, you have transparency with PNGs! (a.k.a the background behind the image is visible)

Forum

I thought the water sword was a wizard hat. :(
Officially quitted

king

i wan tthat hammer in the game...

Gin

Quote from: Forum on January 21, 2011, 07:12:27 PM
I thought the water sword was a wizard hat. :(
Maybe it is, Maybe it is.
Joshie3 - lvl 49

JninjaJ

yeh i suggest that you use redo your first sprites and save them as png but i dont really like the way you have shaded the swords but thats just me

jackel1994

Update!!!

Just made a few new weps, 2 axes. Tell me what you guys think. AND i migth end up respirting my old sprites now that i have found a good program and am getting used to it!

Thanks for all the feedback so far fellas :D

krele

Quote from: jackel1994 on February 17, 2011, 06:23:15 PM
Update!!!

Just made a few new weps, 2 axes. Tell me what you guys think. AND i migth end up respirting my old sprites now that i have found a good program and am getting used to it!

Thanks for all the feedback so far fellas :D
Excuse my ignorance and nitpicking, but is that first axe really your own sprite? It outclasses any other sprite you posted by miles.

thekolla

What program are you currently using?

jackel1994

Quote from: krele on February 17, 2011, 08:50:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance and nitpicking, but is that first axe really your own sprite? It outclasses any other sprite you posted by miles.

Yes it really is mine. I am more comfortable with the program i am using and wanted to make a more complicated sprite.

Also i am using Greenfish.

Delicious

For most of the weapons, it looks as though you scaled the image rather than zooming in. It's very skewed in comparision to the 1x image.

You should really take more time and care into where you place the pixels. The "Battle Axe" and the latest one, "Axe", is perhaps the worse in terms of that. Try to keep your work clean, limiting your use on colours could help achieve this.

Look at http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/whole_set.png for reference. Try to imitate it by zooming close and looking at it carefully as you do your own sword. This is a good way to learn when you're beginning.

Good luck!
<3

jackel1994

Thanks man will try for sure, appreciate your time and concern :D!

Delicious

You'll definitely achieve something really nice with that attitude towards criticism. You take it like a champ!  :)

could I get permission to edit the battle sword to show you how you could approach it?
<3